Singapore Expats

In need of legal advice

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
VN2014

Post by VN2014 » Tue, 22 Apr 2014 8:30 pm

martincymru wrote:"money amounting to US$3,000+ from her male guest...."

please tell us the story of this individual
Hi martincymru:

My flatmate and her guy/gay friend are very close. I've known the both of them back home since 2007/2008 and though we hang out and go out, I do not necessarily consider them my close friends.

I have hosted them here 3x already: my flatmate only recently moved here and the guy friend not yet. He has only recently gotten a job here so he was staying with us longer.

Before getting a job in SG he has been on many trips - Bali, Bangkok, Nepal, etc. I even remember telling my flatmate, he should be saving up because he doesn't have a confirmed job in SG yet.

So that night when the break-in happened, he checked his wallet and he said he had USD 3,000 + plus different currency notes that just disappeared. He said it was in an envelope, tucked inside a secret pocket or something of his wallet, tucked way inside his rucksack which was left on the floor by the door.

When the police asked him who knew he had that money and where he hid it, he said no one else but him. When they asked him when he last saw the money, he said the night before.

He sleeps in my flatmate's room and I have not been inside their room since he got here until that night.

We all left at the same time that morning and have been at the office the whole day. I arrived earlier than them that night so I discovered the unlocked gate, had a scheduled meeting with the owner and new tenant and only been left alone for about 10-15 minutes until they arrived and saw me in my room going through my stuff.

When we were all talking to the investigator and the IO was pushing that it was a "unique case" and that it was an "inside thing" and if we thought anyone of us could have done it. We all said no. When I was interviewed separately, I also said they couldn't have done it. Maybe they changed their minds. I don't know.

VN2014

Post by VN2014 » Tue, 22 Apr 2014 8:31 pm

x9200 wrote:You did it right and you had no other choice but to go to the police. Imagine how big suspect you would be right now if you didn't do so and your flat mate /her guest did.

Please file a complaint against that IO. If this is his standard way and people dare to complain he will get eventually what he deserves.

Thank you for your words. How do I go about filing a complaint against the IO? Is there a standard process or just emailing the commissioner with the details should be enough?

Thanks again!

martincymru
Reporter
Reporter

Post by martincymru » Tue, 22 Apr 2014 9:58 pm

Post a copy of your sworn statement. Helpful to know what u said

VN2014

Post by VN2014 » Tue, 22 Apr 2014 10:08 pm

Statement of the incident? Sure. It is very long though but if it would help, I will do. I'll just change the names so as not to receive complaints from my flatmate, etc.

Beeroclock
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Beeroclock » Tue, 22 Apr 2014 11:46 pm

x9200 wrote:You did it right and you had no other choice but to go to the police. Imagine how big suspect you would be right now if you didn't do so and your flat mate /her guest did.

Please file a complaint against that IO. If this is his standard way and people dare to complain he will get eventually what he deserves.
+1

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Wed, 23 Apr 2014 9:01 am

VN2014 wrote:

Thank you for your words. How do I go about filing a complaint against the IO? Is there a standard process or just emailing the commissioner with the details should be enough?
Thanks again!
Write the AGC, Police commissioner, president and prime minister. But only once you're out of Singapore.

Beeroclock
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Beeroclock » Wed, 23 Apr 2014 9:53 am

VN2014 wrote:When we were all talking to the investigator and the IO was pushing that it was a "unique case" and that it was an "inside thing" and if we thought anyone of us could have done it. We all said no. When I was interviewed separately, I also said they couldn't have done it. Maybe they changed their minds. I don't know.
This is possible, if he/they have made some comment that casts doubt on you, that encouraged the IO to pursue you. Still it does not justify his approach and I agree it will great if you decide to take the time/effort to complain, otherwise nothing will ever change.

I wonder if IO has vigorously pursued this guy to make sure it's credible he would have USD 3,000 (for what purpose, from what source, etc). Did he mention this before or only after the break-in ?

martincymru
Reporter
Reporter

Post by martincymru » Wed, 23 Apr 2014 9:57 am

"US$3,000+ from her male guest"
- state the min/max value range.
- why US dollars?

//
- did he sign the Police Report Statement and have you a copy of the signature?

//
- your ring was worth ? min/max value on open market

Beeroclock
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Beeroclock » Wed, 23 Apr 2014 10:15 am

martincymru wrote:"US$3,000+ from her male guest"
- why US dollars?

//

//
I was also thinking if this guy has set you up to steal your ring, and his cash theft is just a smokescreen to make him look like the victim and take police attention away from him. Maybe also as I mentioned above, in his private interview with IO he could've cast suspicion on you. He seems to be the one having motive (no job yet and spending lots of money on holidays), and as you mention you are not especially close to them and if he knew your intention to leave the country anyway.... Just a thought (and maybe I've been watching too much tv!!!)

VN2014

Post by VN2014 » Wed, 23 Apr 2014 4:04 pm

martincymru wrote:"US$3,000+ from her male guest"
- why US dollars?

//

//
If I'm not mistaken he said USD3,700 and he was not sure about how much his "loose notes in different currencies" were - i think he said he estimates it at about USD300-350"

I remember a separate police officer taking his statement when they went to our flat to investigate (all of us had to do this separately). I don't have a copy of that (i don't even have a copy of my signed statement). I'm just not sure if he wrote another statement after that or how many times he talked to the IO separately.

My ring is not very expensive. My estimate is just about $1,000. It was a bit old, simple but it was from my mother so I am more hurt losing it because of that. To be honest, the IO was not too concerned about the ring, whenever I'd ask him about it. He was focused on the money that he lost.

VN2014

Post by VN2014 » Wed, 23 Apr 2014 4:05 pm

I have not revised the statement (just names) yet. I will try to do it as soon as I get home from work tonight.

VN2014

Post by VN2014 » Wed, 23 Apr 2014 4:14 pm

Hi Beeroclock - I will definitely complain about him as soon as I step out of Singapore. I will keep you all updated on it.

About the guy losing his money: I was not aware that he had that kind of money with him at our flat and I was not aware where he put it. He never mentioned it to me (he actually always complained about how expensive it was here and not having any money - though he would always go out and go shopping).

In fact, before he arrived, I had asked my flatmate if he could give a bit of a share for the flat/utilities since he will be staying with us for a month. She asked if we could just consider him a "house guest" so he doesn't have to give his share. I agreed to this. (Not to mention they use the supplies I've bought for the flat without replacing them, and I've cooked breakfast for them so many times because they would always wake up late, catching me cook breakfast - of course i would ask them if they wanted some, and they always said yes. No thank yous, by the way!!)

But I digress -- you are right. my lawyer initially said that: how do we know he even had that money to begin with? And if he did - how do we know how much and how do we know he hasn't already spent it? I don't think the IO has asked him these questions. He just took his word for it.

Mad Scientist
Director
Director
Answers: 4

Post by Mad Scientist » Wed, 23 Apr 2014 5:26 pm

This is the booklet for police procedures in Singapore
http://www.spf.gov.sg/epc/procedures/

You can complaint direct to their feedback unit or take it to AG office for inappropriate behaviour of a policeman or direct to Police Commissioner office if you feel the feedback unit has not responded to you in a timely manner or their responses is in adequate
Please remember you must take note all comms , charge sheet, IO name offence under what Penal Code so forth
It can blow in your face if you do not do this properly
If you find there is a miscarriage of justice by the IO and there was no recourse, AG Office is your next step and the Minister for Law

http://www.google.co.nz/url?sa=t&rct=j& ... 5w&cad=rja
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

x9200

Post by x9200 » Wed, 23 Apr 2014 5:36 pm

This he, having USD3k inside a secret pocked inside his wallet? How thick this would be? 30x $100 notes at least? Also, keeping such money in a wallet would be plain stupid IMHO especially if one travels around and to the destinations are far from anything extra safe. And then he leave the house and leaves the wallet over there?

x9200

Post by x9200 » Wed, 23 Apr 2014 5:46 pm

For the complaint: try not to be revengeful. Include all the facts as MS suggested. Try to be as objective as much as you can. Give the IO some credit where possible to balance the whole message. You will probably have some troubles to prove certain points so you should also give him some benefits of the doubt saying that perhaps his behavior was incidental but in case it was not you believe his superiors should be informed.