Singapore Expats

Philippine Independence Day in Singapore

Discuss about any latest news or current affairs in Singapore or globally. Please DO NOT copy and paste news articles from other sources without written permission.
kjdoes

Philippine Independence Day in Singapore

Post by kjdoes » Sun, 20 Apr 2014 2:32 pm

Was reading some news per the suggestions by Yahoo, some rather telling opinions from the masses, as usual the comments in often broken English and mangled metaphors are an eye-opener one must read with a huge grain of salt, there are a few balanced ones among those,

https://sg.news.yahoo.com/blogs/singapo ... 51861.html

"The 116th Philippine Independence Day is coming up. What they didn't expect was the backlash. Spearheaded by the Facebook page 'Say "No" to an overpopulated Singapore', Singaporeans began to protest against their event. "

Some very entertaining comments and displays of bizarre English.

"Singapore will be in deep trouble if it's true citizens do not exhibit any sign of disgust or protest for Pinoy to hold their Independence day in Singapore !!!!"

"Pardon me for my England"

"Singaporeans are generally educated, charitable, law abiding, tolerant, multi lingual, mild mannered and affluent, and our taste is international, not like some foreigners who only go for their own kind of food."

http://singaporenewsalternative.blogspo ... r-own.html

And in an otherwise innocuous article on shopping, more caustic comments

https://sg.news.yahoo.com/10-reasons-wh ... 00823.html

"Well we do claim to be an inclusive society, don't we? Grab the opportunity to make friends with the Japanese and just have fun together!"

From the comments:
" F the japs, they killed lim bo seng. never forgive them. once again, f the japs"

There are more of course

taxico
Director
Director

Post by taxico » Sun, 20 Apr 2014 3:59 pm

what's your point?
Aut viam ad caelum inveniam aut faciam

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 20 Apr 2014 4:56 pm

As this Forum is entitled "Latest News"? Pretty newsworthy, don't you think? Especially sitting here watching the country slowly start to implode on itself due to myopic, inward looking (Not), xenophobes. In fact, they are just hammering one more nail in the internet coffin that is about to be buried here, much like the PDRNK and PRC.

Of course, as the OP is probably a journo look to have a story, as is their normal gambit here, (as we have seen countless times over the years) they will not make another post but just watch to see if they get a rise, or at least enough stuff to make a story with whatever they can glean from the thread. (using their typical unverified, fudge factor to fill in the facts) .
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

uscate
Chatter
Chatter

Post by uscate » Mon, 21 Apr 2014 7:13 am

To SMS' point about hammering a nail in the internet coffin here, are the commercials that I've seen popping up recently.

The scene opens with an earnest young Singaporean recording star talking about getting their work pirated and how we should all stand against that (to which I say YES!). Then the commercial ends with an ominous tag line that reads: "55% of Singaporeans agree that the internet should be monitored" (or some such wording)…

It really does appear that the gahmen is initiating a groupthink campaign to rally the citizenry around government censorship of the internet "for the peoples' own good." Or maybe I'm just paranoid.

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Mon, 21 Apr 2014 9:24 am

Apparently it is OK for Sg'ers to hold national day celebrations in other countries as evidenced by a brief Google search but not the other way around.
I think its a case of cataract rather than Myopia.
To get there early is on time and showing up on time is late

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Mon, 21 Apr 2014 10:15 am

rajagainstthemachine wrote:Apparently it is OK for Sg'ers to hold national day celebrations in other countries as evidenced by a brief Google search but not the other way around.
+1...at least the Pinoys will welcome the Sinkies unlike the Sinkies in Sydney who tried to keep Aussies out of their own damn public park!

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Mon, 21 Apr 2014 11:11 am

PNGMK wrote:
rajagainstthemachine wrote:Apparently it is OK for Sg'ers to hold national day celebrations in other countries as evidenced by a brief Google search but not the other way around.
+1...at least the Pinoys will welcome the Sinkies unlike the Sinkies in Sydney who tried to keep Aussies out of their own damn public park!
Of course; some think they're the center of the universe so their sense of irony and empathy and have been replaced by hypocrisy and arrogance.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Mon, 21 Apr 2014 12:33 pm

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/national/201 ... -of-racism

"There were no PRCs, India Indians, Bangla or Pinoys to annoy us."

lol
To get there early is on time and showing up on time is late

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Mon, 21 Apr 2014 1:41 pm

rajagainstthemachine wrote:http://news.ninemsn.com.au/national/201 ... -of-racism

"There were no PRCs, India Indians, Bangla or Pinoys to annoy us."

lol
Old news but boy, it really smacked them in the face on their bigotry.

bgd
Manager
Manager

Re: Philippine Independence Day in Singapore

Post by bgd » Mon, 21 Apr 2014 9:33 pm

kjdoes wrote:.

"Singaporeans are generally educated, charitable, law abiding, tolerant, multi lingual, mild mannered and affluent, and our taste is international, not like some foreigners who only go for their own kind of food."
LOL - I love the humour of the internet ;-)

proxymoron
Regular
Regular

Post by proxymoron » Tue, 22 Apr 2014 11:01 am

A take on the whole Pinoy day thing by pinoy wife.
"This Filipinos who organise this event are crazy. They are doing this just to make money from overseas pinoy workers and now rest of pinoys in Singapore has to take on the brunt from Singaporeans."

I guess she has a point. Celebrating a 'Philippines Day' and celebrating a 'Philippines Independence Day' is two different things, in my opinion. They could have selected their wordings for event with bit more care.

Also there is an Asian element of social hierarchy also felt in here. As I dont think it would have been a problem if it was USA or Canada celebrating their Independence day here. On the contrary, I guess a good number of people here would have been proud to be associated with it.

@OP.. if you really are a journo, you have my blessings to leech on this post.
Good judgement comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgement.

AngMoG
Reporter
Reporter

Post by AngMoG » Wed, 23 Apr 2014 12:52 am

I got forwarded a very interesting article about this today... link

For me, celebrating this in Singapore, or Singapore day abroad, is the same thing. So being okay with one while denouncing the other is just hypocrisy. But that's just my two cents.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 23 Apr 2014 6:58 am

^^This.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Post by Wd40 » Wed, 23 Apr 2014 11:38 am

proxymoron wrote:
Also there is an Asian element of social hierarchy also felt in here. As I dont think it would have been a problem if it was USA or Canada celebrating their Independence day here. On the contrary, I guess a good number of people here would have been proud to be associated with it.
I agree, not just US and Canada. Even if it was Hong Kong, Taiwan, South Korea or Japan also no problem. But it shouldn't be PRC, Philippines or India.

ScoobyDoes
Manager
Manager

Post by ScoobyDoes » Wed, 23 Apr 2014 5:30 pm

Okay, I vote to cancel St. Paddy's Day here........

See where THAT gets the tiny feckers! One less major party to go to.
'When Lewis Hamilton wins a race he has to thank Vodafone whereas in my day I used to chase the crumpet. I know which era I'd rather race in.'

SIR Stirling Moss OBE