Singapore Expats

Bought Porsche

Have your burning questions answered relating to buying and selling cars and other vehicles.
zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Sun, 20 Apr 2014 11:23 am

x9200 wrote:
zzm9980 wrote:
x9200 wrote:What are they going to do with 785 used engines?
My guess is they're not swapping the engine but just a small component.
Google says "replace". E.g.:
http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/03/ ... AL20140318
Porsche did not say how much it will cost to replace the 785 engines. The new engines will have "optimized fasteners," the company said.

It is probably not that expensive with this sort of brand even if trashed (recycled on material level). Materials, manufacturing and assembly costs to the end product value must be much lower than in case of low/middle class cars.
Hmm yeah, sounds like they are:
Following an internal investigation prompted by two such incidents, Porsche has confirmed that is has identified the problem as resulting "from a loosened screw joint on the connecting rod." The loose connecting rod, Porsche found, damaged the crankcase, which in turn resulted in oil leaking and then – in at least two cases – igniting.
http://www.autoblog.com/2014/03/19/pors ... -official/

It is not immediately clear what Porsche plans to do with the hundreds of recalled GT3 engines once it extracts them.
I'm sure they can refurbish and re-use them.

taxico
Director
Director

Post by taxico » Sun, 20 Apr 2014 12:33 pm

when the engine in my 996 blew up under warranty, they shipped in a new engine and replaced it.

the dealer told me they will have to ship the old one back to germany whereby it will be dismantled and inspected thoroughly.

we both assumed that it will then be recycled some how, as opposed to re-using parts that can be re-used...

i remembered a tear down of the improved engine (at some other auto shop) did not show signs of re-used parts.
Aut viam ad caelum inveniam aut faciam

x9200

Post by x9200 » Sun, 20 Apr 2014 4:40 pm

I would be surprised if they refurbish it. If you buy such car surely you don't want to have one with a refurbish engine. IMHO the only options are 1) recycle, 2) resell after fixing for the used cars/other market.

thecookieguy

Post by thecookieguy » Sun, 20 Apr 2014 11:38 pm

theres a lemon law in singapore. have your agent reported if your car was sold as a lemon