Singapore Expats

Transport to Changi Business Park

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
FromOverThere

Transport to Changi Business Park

Post by FromOverThere » Wed, 16 Apr 2014 7:59 pm

Hi all,

I will be working in CBP and live in CBD.

My company does not have shuttle buses.

Taking the East-West line is not convenient, plus there is always the painful change at Tanah Merah, then, a long walk.

Are there any executive bus services from downtown, or other alternatives?

I wish I knew this was the case, it's almost a dealbreaker.

Barnsley
Manager
Manager

Re: Transport to Changi Business Park

Post by Barnsley » Wed, 16 Apr 2014 11:20 pm

FromOverThere wrote:Hi all,

I will be working in CBP and live in CBD.

My company does not have shuttle buses.

Taking the East-West line is not convenient, plus there is always the painful change at Tanah Merah, then, a long walk.

Are there any executive bus services from downtown, or other alternatives?

I wish I knew this was the case, it's almost a dealbreaker.
Why you living in CBD?

Living closer wasnt an option?

If you tough it out , one of the new MRT lines will terminate at EXPO ...

Hang in there
Life is short, paddle harder!!

AngMoG
Reporter
Reporter

Post by AngMoG » Wed, 16 Apr 2014 11:45 pm

There is bus service no. 20 now, it passes Simei and start from Tampines bus interchange. It goes around CBP, so there should be a bus stop close to your company. However, if you're coming from the West, most likely it will mean a significantly longer travel time.

One other alternative is to take a taxi from Tanah Merah - try both directions, which one is easier to get (the one going towards the city seemed pretty easy to me). It costs about $5 or less. It will be cheaper if you can share with colleagues of course.

That is why many companies have shuttle services, but I don't think I've ever seen any executive bus services around there.

FromOverThere

Re: Transport to Changi Business Park

Post by FromOverThere » Thu, 17 Apr 2014 12:04 am

Barnsley wrote:Why you living in CBD?

Living closer wasnt an option?

If you tough it out , one of the new MRT lines will terminate at EXPO ...

Hang in there
Job change. Lease is not up for quite some time.

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Thu, 17 Apr 2014 7:04 am

If buying a car is not in the cards, then advertising for car pooling mates may be the way to go. Before I left, I knew quite a few people whose companies decided to leave the expensive CBD for the "cheap" environs of CBP, and they, like you, did not want to or could not give up their home.

I'd advertise on a bunch of forums to see who might be available. Or, you could buy that car, and earn at least some of the monthly payment by pooling for others.

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Thu, 17 Apr 2014 10:35 am

Or express bus 513. It goes between Tampines-CBD via highway and passes by the edge of CBP (depending on which part of CBP your company is located) before hitting the highway towards CBD.

http://www.publictransport.sg/content/p ... -bsep.html

Or premium bus 522 between Upp Changi Road East and CBD.

http://www.comfortdelgrobus.com.sg/premium.htm

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Thu, 17 Apr 2014 12:13 pm

Motorbike.
Since I've bought one a few years back I never even think about these things (MRT/Bus/Taxi).

bgd
Manager
Manager

Post by bgd » Thu, 17 Apr 2014 3:58 pm

PNGMK wrote:Motorbike.
Since I've bought one a few years back I never even think about these things (MRT/Bus/Taxi).
I used to commute from Tiong Bahru to CBP by bike. It was a very quick commute. Against the traffic both ways and actually a pleasant route, for a motorway trip anyway.

Only worth it if you have a bike license already.

nutnut
Manager
Manager

Post by nutnut » Thu, 17 Apr 2014 4:30 pm

Get a push bike and cycle along East Coast Park and past Laguna golf course. Depending where in CBD you live this could be good. You can go via Marina Barrage (Temasek Avenue area) through Gardens by the bay and such - it's about 20KM cycle from Suntec to CBP, nice ride, very few points where you have to touch the road.

Probably take you same time as the train and wait and train and walk to be honest and you can get fit.
nutnut

FromOverThere

Post by FromOverThere » Thu, 17 Apr 2014 7:15 pm

Thanks for all the suggestions so far.

A car or motorbike is out, I can't afford a car nor would I ever want to drive either in this country; a push bike is out for similar reasons (the drivers here) and I'd be covered in sweat by the time I got to the office.

I checked the 4N and 20 buses, that route takes a very long and roundabout way, the trip planner in streetdirectory says an hour 40 minutes one way, not including transfer wait times.

With so many people now working out there, and more to follow (they are building new buildings, some companies are already out of capacity there), it's pretty odd there aren't more buses there.

A big sigh.

I'll look into ride share and express links, thanks again.

Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Post by Wd40 » Thu, 17 Apr 2014 10:02 pm

In my 5 year stint in Singapore(which is likely to end very shortly) if there is one thing that I enjoyed the most, it is riding motorbike to office, daily, which happens to be in CBP.