Singapore Expats

SIA cabin crew

Join in the discussion about employment, interview as a cabin crew, pilot in major airlines.
FluffyPanda

Post by FluffyPanda » Tue, 15 Apr 2014 12:20 pm

MeganL wrote:
FluffyPanda wrote:
I don't think you can call back that num. I tried too when I first missed their call. But then they called back. I think the num has been blocked for incoming call just in case ppl spam it. I'm sure they will call you back on Mon or something. Don't worry! :)
Hi yes! They called me back this morning! :) The nice lady advised me to finish my treatment before going back for skin check review, so my review will be in July, which is the next recruitment exercise. :shock:

So guys, if you are wondering, there probably won't be any walk-in interview sessions in May and June.
Thats great! She told me as well if I'm unable to make it down to Sg then I can join the July one but it could also be in Sg again. So I guess as much there wont be any interview after this till then. I didnt want to wait that long to do so and I've already bought my bus ticket down. Hehe. May I know what is your issue for the review? Mine is some blemishes on my face and back at that time. =)

puffygoonkz

Post by puffygoonkz » Tue, 15 Apr 2014 12:42 pm

Slapoutxx wrote:
puffygoonkz wrote:Hi everyone! I'm new! Sounds really exciting to read about batches of people being accepted by SIA. I've always wanted to fly but have also been very hesitant because since I was younger, my parents have been drumming into my system that being a member of the cabin crew is an equivalent of a "high class waitress". Feeling obligated to make them happy, I took up a typical white-collared job and was even bonded because my company paid for my tuition fees. Now that my bond has ended, I'm 28 going on 29 this year. I've read on some forums that the cut off age is 25; some claim that the cut off is 28; some say that there is no cut off (since SIA now has no age limit for flying); some have also claimed that people actually do join at 30. Any one has any thoughts? I gave the March interview a shot but was rejected at the management round - so near yet so far. I'm tempted yet at the same time also hesitant to try again because of my age (a lot more at stake). Yet I was so near yet so far. *confused* My birthday is in October; don't really want to put myself in a situation when I have to introduce myself and say I'm 29. =( anyone has any thoughts?

Word of advice: to all you young ladies and gentlemen who are considering a flying career, I strongly encourage all of you to go try before it's too late!

I remember reading in someone's blog,that she was rejected as the cut of age was 28. She tried at 29 and got rejected, and one of the staff actually told her it's solely because of her age. On the bright side, you still have a good chance since your birthday isn't here yet! All the best!
Ah, I see, I guess I'll just keep going until my birthday then. Thank you! Hope to meet those of you going on the 26th too! =)

@Slapoutxx: Wow! 6am is very early! I'm still thinking if I should go early or go just before closing. I went at about 10am the previous time. The queue was so long that it snaked all the way outside the hotel lobby! By the time I was done with all the rounds on Saturday, it was already about 4:30pm. Going early means one might have to give up some beauty sleep - want to make sure the eye bags don't show. Hahaha. But going early does have its advantages I guess - don't have to wait so long.

@Gist: I don't have much experience since I've only tried once but I'll share based on my observations previously. People generally do pass round 1 if they speak confidently, express themselves well in English and give the interviewers a big, wide and genuine smile. =) While waiting outside the room, I've seen some groups where as many as 6-7 people actually made it to the next round. Hope this helps!

Gist

Post by Gist » Tue, 15 Apr 2014 12:55 pm

puffygoonkz wrote:
@Gist: I don't have much experience since I've only tried once but I'll share based on my observations previously. People generally do pass round 1 if they speak confidently, express themselves well in English and give the interviewers a big, wide and genuine smile. =) While waiting outside the room, I've seen some groups where as many as 6-7 people actually made it to the next round. Hope this helps!
Thanks puffy!

I hope I can make it this round! And good luck to everyone here! :)

puffygoonkz

Post by puffygoonkz » Tue, 15 Apr 2014 1:17 pm

Gist wrote:
puffygoonkz wrote:
Thanks puffy!

I hope I can make it this round! And good luck to everyone here! :)
No problem! All the best to you and everyone else trying on the 26th too! =)

By the way, anyone knows what they actually look out for at the kebaya round?

MeganL
Regular
Regular

Post by MeganL » Tue, 15 Apr 2014 3:36 pm

FluffyPanda wrote:
Thats great! She told me as well if I'm unable to make it down to Sg then I can join the July one but it could also be in Sg again. So I guess as much there wont be any interview after this till then. I didnt want to wait that long to do so and I've already bought my bus ticket down. Hehe. May I know what is your issue for the review? Mine is some blemishes on my face and back at that time. =)
Oh that's good! I also didn't want to wait thatttt long but since I've a few pigmentation spots on my back and need to get rid of them, it'll be better for me to attend the one in July because by then I'll hv completed my treatment and have the almost perfect skin that they want :p I think telling them that I'm going through the treatment is probably my saving grace, if not I might have failed kebaya round already. Hehe. If you don't mind, please do share about your review!. Good luck to you! :)

MeganL
Regular
Regular

Post by MeganL » Tue, 15 Apr 2014 3:57 pm

puffygoonkz wrote: No problem! All the best to you and everyone else trying on the 26th too! =)

Hello! They look out for many things! The kebaya round is like the skin check round except it's a lot stricter and they zoom into literally each and every visible spot/faint scars/discolouration that you may have on face, neck, back, forearms and your legs below the knees, and ask you about them(sometimes you dont even know they existed on you-_-) Even your unfortunate mosquito bites or scratches by your pet dog/cat lol.
Then they'll ask you to give them your widest smile so they can assess your teeth, whether your teeth is nice and straight enough or not. They'll also ask about your skin condition, whether you tend to have sensitive/problematic skin, and also whether your eyes become dry easily if you are wearing contact lenses.
They'll also take your height and weight, and ask you to do a short walk in the kebaya together with the sandals to see your poise and posture. They also assess if you look good and proportionate in the kebaya or not.
That's all I can remember :)

puffygoonkz

Post by puffygoonkz » Tue, 15 Apr 2014 6:11 pm

MeganL wrote:
puffygoonkz wrote: No problem! All the best to you and everyone else trying on the 26th too! =)

Hello! They look out for many things! The kebaya round is like the skin check round except it's a lot stricter and they zoom into literally each and every visible spot/faint scars/discolouration that you may have on face, neck, back, forearms and your legs below the knees, and ask you about them(sometimes you dont even know they existed on you-_-) Even your unfortunate mosquito bites or scratches by your pet dog/cat lol.
Then they'll ask you to give them your widest smile so they can assess your teeth, whether your teeth is nice and straight enough or not. They'll also ask about your skin condition, whether you tend to have sensitive/problematic skin, and also whether your eyes become dry easily if you are wearing contact lenses.
They'll also take your height and weight, and ask you to do a short walk in the kebaya together with the sandals to see your poise and posture. They also assess if you look good and proportionate in the kebaya or not.
That's all I can remember :)
Thanks MeganL! Wow that sounds really thorough. Gosh, I have some blemishes here and there. Hopefully they are not too particular or at least give me a chance to fix it if necessary - already spamming all the whitening creams and sunblock. Hahaha. If you wear stockings, will they ask you to remove them?

MeganL
Regular
Regular

Post by MeganL » Tue, 15 Apr 2014 8:19 pm

puffygoonkz wrote:
Thanks MeganL! Wow that sounds really thorough. Gosh, I have some blemishes here and there. Hopefully they are not too particular or at least give me a chance to fix it if necessary - already spamming all the whitening creams and sunblock. Hahaha. If you wear stockings, will they ask you to remove them?
You're welcome :) Try to conceal the blemishes to the best of your ability! I don't recommend wearing stockings because they'll tell you to remove it. Just use concealer on your legs as well XD

staxtics

Post by staxtics » Tue, 15 Apr 2014 8:26 pm

Hey for those who went for the day 2 interview at STC on 5 Jan and 16 March, based on your experience, how hard is this round and what is the percentage of people getting through?

Also did you give a short or a long answer in regards to the questions asked? For someone who isn't very fluent and not being able to provide a long answer, what can you advice? Trying to minimise "textbook" answers.

Thinkofme

Post by Thinkofme » Tue, 15 Apr 2014 8:39 pm

Hi all! :) how was skin check round got those that went for the 15th march interview? Were they really particular about any specific things? thanks!

puffygoonkz

Post by puffygoonkz » Tue, 15 Apr 2014 10:46 pm

MeganL wrote:
puffygoonkz wrote:
You're welcome :) Try to conceal the blemishes to the best of your ability! I don't recommend wearing stockings because they'll tell you to remove it. Just use concealer on your legs as well XD
Hahaha! Okay, will do!

puffygoonkz

Post by puffygoonkz » Tue, 15 Apr 2014 10:47 pm

Thinkofme wrote:Hi all! :) how was skin check round got those that went for the 15th march interview? Were they really particular about any specific things? thanks!
I'm not too sure about it actually.
Last edited by puffygoonkz on Wed, 16 Apr 2014 1:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

manythoughts

Post by manythoughts » Tue, 15 Apr 2014 11:16 pm

Gist wrote:Hello everyone!
Any tips for round 1? Would be my 4th try this coming 26th! :(

you might want to prepare a short self introduction of yourself prior to the interview and have a list of answers to the possible and common questions that they ask. Just do the above with a smile and confidence. .but don't let your confidence appear as cocky or arrogant. that should do the trick ;) goodluck!

manythoughts

Post by manythoughts » Tue, 15 Apr 2014 11:21 pm

Thinkofme wrote:Hi all! :) how was skin check round got those that went for the 15th march interview? Were they really particular about any specific things? thanks!

one of the girls in my group got asked to have her teeth fixed. So I reckon good skin and teeth? Also , while checking they may ask you a question or two..just be sure to reply politely with a smile.

They'd check your frontal , left and right profile...then the front and back of your hands and forearm...followed by a shot walk (approximately 3 to 5 m) to and fro. And that's about it?

manythoughts

Post by manythoughts » Tue, 15 Apr 2014 11:26 pm

[quote="staxtics"]Hey for those who went for the day 2 interview at STC on 5 Jan and 16 March, based on your experience, how hard is this round and what is the percentage of people getting through?

Also did you give a short or a long answer in regards to the questions asked? For someone who isn't very fluent and not being able to provide a long answer, what can you advice? Trying to minimise "textbook" answers.[/quote

got to nail it or else the next interview appears to be ages away! It's a pity that we would miss out of the 26th interview if we don't make it on the 27th! :(

I'd like to know more about the 2 to 1 interview too if any of you could share in detail with regards to the questions asked besides the self intro and more common questions?