Singapore Expats

Potentially moving to Singapore

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
nic152

Potentially moving to Singapore

Post by nic152 » Thu, 10 Apr 2014 7:38 pm

Hi All,

I was wondering if you may be able to help. My boyfriend has been offered the opportunity to apply for a job in Singapore. He is currently waiting to hear if he has got the job. If they offer the job, we will have to decide pretty quickly hence why I have already started some research.

I am a trainee accountant (almost qualified with exams - results come out in a couple of months! - but need one more year of experience in the workplace before I can qualify). I have 2 years experience and have a 1st from a reputable University in the UK. From what I have read on here so far it appears that a lot of expats struggle to find work in Singapore even if they have a strong education/experience, is this still the case? Are there any specific recruitment agents who would deal with finding posts for expats?

Does it help if my boyfriends company could sponsor my employment permit (I don't even know if this is possible so any knowledge from someone who understands the system would be most appreciated). I have already looked on the Ministry of Manpower but I can't find information regarding who can sponsor you - I'm sure I read somewhere it doesn't have to be your employer).

I'm quite excited about the opportunity to come to Singapore but I am very career motivated and the thought of not finding a job either straight away or at all, terrifies me! Any comments and advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Re: Potentially moving to Singapore

Post by the lynx » Fri, 11 Apr 2014 9:03 am

nic152 wrote:Hi All,

I was wondering if you may be able to help. My boyfriend has been offered the opportunity to apply for a job in Singapore. He is currently waiting to hear if he has got the job. If they offer the job, we will have to decide pretty quickly hence why I have already started some research.

I am a trainee accountant (almost qualified with exams - results come out in a couple of months! - but need one more year of experience in the workplace before I can qualify). I have 2 years experience and have a 1st from a reputable University in the UK. From what I have read on here so far it appears that a lot of expats struggle to find work in Singapore even if they have a strong education/experience, is this still the case? Are there any specific recruitment agents who would deal with finding posts for expats?

Does it help if my boyfriends company could sponsor my employment permit (I don't even know if this is possible so any knowledge from someone who understands the system would be most appreciated). I have already looked on the Ministry of Manpower but I can't find information regarding who can sponsor you - I'm sure I read somewhere it doesn't have to be your employer).

I'm quite excited about the opportunity to come to Singapore but I am very career motivated and the thought of not finding a job either straight away or at all, terrifies me! Any comments and advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
First of all, welcome to the forum and believe me, Singapore is a wonderful place for experience - both work and life.

I know nothing about your field but I can tell you that unless both of you are legally recognised in your home country as common law spouse/domestic partner, your boyfriend's company won't be able to assist him to sponsor a dependent pass (DP) for you as a 'girlfriend' and you would have to be here on your own merit (get your own work visa).

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 11 Apr 2014 10:44 am

In fact, even if they can prove a recognized de facto relationship, the trailing "partner" will not be able to get a DP and will only be allowed an LTVP. If the trailing partner wants to work they will have to have a potential employer apply for an employment pass just like any other foreigner, without any assistance or brownie points from the other partner already being here.

Occasionally, if the partnership is recognized in the home country, there have been cases of the employer sponsoring the trailing partner for the LTVP.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Beeroclock
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Beeroclock » Fri, 11 Apr 2014 11:40 am

I've seen a lot of trailing spouses struggle to find work here, and that was 4-6 years ago, the climate for foreigners has become considerably more difficult since. Also they were married and able to get DP/LOC, but still hard to find a job. It requires a lot of serious thought and discussion with your partner I suggest especially as you say you are very career minded and terrified at being jobless. This can easily end badly and several of our friends cut short their intended Singapore stay (e.g. leaving after 12 months instead of 2-3 years because of fruitless job search by trailing spouse and to avoid career stagnation).

That said, it is not impossible and I have also seen trailing spouses succeed in finding jobs here, but need to start with a low expectation, have an extremely proactive/persistant approach, and be prepared to accept any offer initially to get a foot in the door. Good luck!

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 11 Apr 2014 12:52 pm

^^This. Well put.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers