Singapore Expats

Freelancing while on an EP

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
johngu1980

Freelancing while on an EP

Post by johngu1980 » Thu, 10 Apr 2014 3:29 pm

I am currently on Singapore on an EP. I've been approached by a number of people to do some freelance work for them. Is there any way to make this possible? Some thoughts:

1. I can apply for a PEP, but I'm not sure that entitles me to work for a company and freelance for another.

2. I can continue on the current EP, but ask for an LOC for the freelance work.

Open to any and all other suggestions. Thanks.

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Re: Freelancing while on an EP

Post by the lynx » Thu, 10 Apr 2014 3:44 pm

johngu1980 wrote:I am currently on Singapore on an EP. I've been approached by a number of people to do some freelance work for them. Is there any way to make this possible? Some thoughts:

1. I can apply for a PEP, but I'm not sure that entitles me to work for a company and freelance for another.

2. I can continue on the current EP, but ask for an LOC for the freelance work.

Open to any and all other suggestions. Thanks.
EP holders are not allowed to have any other employment apart from the one listed in his EP card. That means freelancing is out of question. LOC is only for DP or LTVP+ holders. IIRC PEP holders are not allowed as well based on MOM's website:
* The following groups of foreigners are not eligible for the PEP:

(i) foreigners who are issued with an Employment Pass under the Sponsorship scheme. Under this scheme, their direct employers are overseas companies which do not have a Singapore-registered office/business entity

(ii) foreigners who are working or intending to work on a free-lance basis without any direct employers in Singapore

(iii) foreigners who are listed as Sole Proprietors, Partners or Directors in a business/company registered with ACRA and are shareholders of that business/company

(iv) foreigners working as journalists, editors, sub-editors and producers.
Source: http://www.mom.gov.sg/foreign-manpower/ ... fault.aspx

Beeroclock
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Beeroclock » Thu, 10 Apr 2014 5:17 pm

There a quite a lot of other related threads too if you search around here.

johngu1980

Post by johngu1980 » Thu, 10 Apr 2014 6:33 pm

Yep. I've read primarily about people who want to freelance and then establish a sole proprietorship / pte ltd to obtain an LOC. I haven't found anything about doing freelance while already on an EP.

Suppose for the moment that I was able to obtain a PEP, does that still restrict me to only a single employer?

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 10 Apr 2014 8:19 pm

Employment Pass holders who earn a fixed monthly salary of at least $12,000

* The following groups of foreigners are not eligible for the PEP:

(i) foreigners who are issued with an Employment Pass under the Sponsorship scheme. Under this scheme, their direct employers are overseas companies which do not have a Singapore-registered office/business entity

(ii) foreigners who are working or intending to work on a free-lance basis without any direct employers in Singapore

(iii) foreigners who are listed as Sole Proprietors, Partners or Directors in a business/company registered with ACRA and are shareholders of that business/company

(iv) foreigners working as journalists, editors, sub-editors and producers.

Note: The PEP holder is not allowed to start his/her own business or engage in any entrepreneurial activities. The holder must apply for an EntrePass if he/she intends to do so.
The above from the MOM site for PEPs. Looks pretty cut and dried to me. It's not hard to find either.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Beeroclock
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Beeroclock » Thu, 10 Apr 2014 11:03 pm

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Thu, 10 Apr 2014 11:22 pm

The only way you can legally make this work is to form your own company and apply for your own EP. Then, the company that you are currently working for would hire you as a contractor and you would be able to take on other freelance jobs as well.