Singapore Expats

rejected student from ica

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
duofilm123

rejected student from ica

Post by duofilm123 » Tue, 08 Apr 2014 8:59 am

im applying student pass for my child at 9 years old got rejected from ica . im a step father of the child ,my wife is holding LTVP for 6 months which is going to expire .we has hardly found a school for my child and ready for pri 3 . anyone come across this issue .please help please advise .thanks

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Re: rejected student from ica

Post by the lynx » Tue, 08 Apr 2014 9:33 am

duofilm123 wrote:im applying student pass for my child at 9 years old got rejected from ica . im a step father of the child ,my wife is holding LTVP for 6 months which is going to expire .we has hardly found a school for my child and ready for pri 3 . anyone come across this issue .please help please advise .thanks
Questions:

Is your wife the biological mother of the child?
Are you a legal guardian of that stepchild of yours?
How long have you two been married?
Did you submit both to ICA during student pass application?

Side question:
What is the nationality of your child and your wife/biological mother?

duofilm123

Post by duofilm123 » Tue, 08 Apr 2014 12:40 pm

yes , my wife is the child's biological mother
no, im not legal guardian of the step chid
have married for one year
my wife is holding ltvp since a year until bring her child over to sg on jan 2014 . was submitted on different day maybe late by few day .

my wife and her child was taiwanese .

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Tue, 08 Apr 2014 1:01 pm

duofilm123 wrote:yes , my wife is the child's biological mother
no, im not legal guardian of the step chid
have married for one year
my wife is holding ltvp since a year until bring her child over to sg on jan 2014 . was submitted on different day maybe late by few day .

my wife and her child was taiwanese .
IIRC you need to be the legal guardian to stand better chance in applying for student pass for your stepchild. But this is beyond what I know so I think other forum regulars who are familiar with this legal aspect to advise better.

duofilm123

Post by duofilm123 » Tue, 08 Apr 2014 7:04 pm

thanks anyway .ya i ever checked on the the adortion of my step child regards of this . and also nd 6 to 9 months to process the whole thing . 1st to register in ministry of social family to get approval and then seek for lawyer to do a legal adortion . but really cant wait for my child without studying within these days . it's really make life difficult this ICA. anyone come across this issue and please help to advise .thanks

the lynx
Governor
Governor

Post by the lynx » Wed, 09 Apr 2014 8:35 am

duofilm123 wrote:thanks anyway .ya i ever checked on the the adortion of my step child regards of this . and also nd 6 to 9 months to process the whole thing . 1st to register in ministry of social family to get approval and then seek for lawyer to do a legal adortion . but really cant wait for my child without studying within these days . it's really make life difficult this ICA. anyone come across this issue and please help to advise .thanks
Let's say you really can't wait for the legal adoption process to materialise, I can only think of two ways you can cope with your child's education.

1. Home schooling - to prepare her once she is ready/legally adopted by you and with student pass approved

2. Let her have proper schooling in Taiwan while waiting for adoption process to complete.

ICA may seem to be troublesome to some people, including yourself, but there are many good reasons why they do so. It is to protect their citizens from being used by foreigners as stepping stone into Singapore (not saying you're in that situation but there are many cases out there).

Imagine if they allow any foreigner stepchild linked to citizens (I use the word "link" because obviously many would rather choose not to adopt legally then because it is very troublesome) to get student pass easily, you will have Singaporean children get crammed out of their rightful places in kindergartens and schools, and many women with own children plotting to win affection of local men for a chance of better life in Singapore (not saying that your case applies - I'm just giving my thoughts on ICA's move).