Singapore Expats

S PASS Issues

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
ElDiavolo

S PASS Issues

Post by ElDiavolo » Mon, 07 Apr 2014 7:11 pm

Hi Everybody,

I want to share my experiences in getting S Pass and hope that someone has an answer for me.

I recently got a job with an MNC, and they were applying S Pass for me. It was rejected, then the company appealed, then rejected again.
Does anyone has any idea on why was i rejected?

To tell you more about myself, I am indonesian chinese and i have a Bachelor's Degree in Informations Systems(Australian Degree, though i took it in the Malaysia Branch), Have been working in Singapore for 2.5 years, the Salary that the company is offering is 3k.

I thought for sure i can get an S Pass without any problems seeing that i have been working in Singapore for 2.5 years and having all the correct requirement for S Pass.

I asked the company HR to check with MOM, MOM states that the problem is the candidate, not the company.

Does anyone have any similar experiences or any insight to this matter?
Please, any help is very much appreciated.

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Re: S PASS Issues

Post by the lynx » Mon, 07 Apr 2014 7:44 pm

ElDiavolo wrote:Hi Everybody,

I want to share my experiences in getting S Pass and hope that someone has an answer for me.

I recently got a job with an MNC, and they were applying S Pass for me. It was rejected, then the company appealed, then rejected again.

To tell you more about myself, I am indonesian chinese and i have a Bachelor's Degree in Informations Systems(Australian Degree, though i took it in the Malaysia Branch), Have been working in Singapore for 2.5 years, the Salary that the company is offering is 3k.

I thought for sure i can get an S Pass without any problems seeing that i have been working in Singapore for 2.5 years and having all the correct requirement for S Pass.

I asked the company HR to check with MOM, MOM states that the problem is the candidate, not the company.

For 2.5 years worth of experience and a salary of $3K in IT, I think the answer is clear on why.

taxico
Director
Director

Post by taxico » Mon, 07 Apr 2014 7:52 pm

ElDiavolo wrote:...I thought for sure i can get an S Pass without any problems seeing that i have been working in Singapore for 2.5 years and having all the correct requirement for S Pass.

what did the MOM website's self assessment tool say?
Aut viam ad caelum inveniam aut faciam

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 07 Apr 2014 8:35 pm

The self assessment tool is only to figure out if your application will even be accepted for review. Even if you qualify based on that, it only means you are qualified to apply, not automatically get a pass issued based on that alone.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Akimbo
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Akimbo » Tue, 08 Apr 2014 9:00 am

the lynx wrote:

For 2.5 years worth of experience and a salary of $3K in IT, I think the answer is clear on why.
Yep, I think this is the best answer on why. Get them to give you 4.5, maybe MOM will think about it.
My thread...The Weekenders If you need my e-mail address, it's in the first post of the thread.

ElDiavolo

Post by ElDiavolo » Tue, 08 Apr 2014 11:06 am

the lynx wrote:

Sorry, but i am not very clear on why? Care to elaborate more?
I thought the salary for S Pass is $2.2k ??

@Taxico, MOM SAT tools said that i can get S Pass but not an EP.

Barnsley
Manager
Manager

Post by Barnsley » Tue, 08 Apr 2014 11:17 am

Akimbo wrote:
the lynx wrote:

Yep, I think this is the best answer on why. Get them to give you 4.5, maybe MOM will think about it.
Aren't "IT" folk "10 a penny" therefore supply and demand should dictate that the salaries should be relatively low???
Life is short, paddle harder!!

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Tue, 08 Apr 2014 11:24 am

Barnsley wrote:
Akimbo wrote:
the lynx wrote: For 2.5 years worth of experience and a salary of $3K in IT, I think the answer is clear on why.
Aren't "IT" folk "10 a penny" therefore supply and demand should dictate that the salaries should be relatively low???
You have a valid point but I was alluding to the fact that her role can be easily be filled with many local Informatic Systems graduates here. And her degree is from a Malaysian campus, despite being awarded by a Australian institution.

We have many foreigners trying to get "good" degrees from Malaysian private colleges/universities serving as off-shore campuses. Names that come up are Sunway, Inti, Nilai etc (excluding the ones with 3+1 or 2+2 twinning programmes).

I have many friends who are in similar profiles as OP (and most of them are from those schools) and they get rejected too. The only successful ones that I know of so far are only those who did the twinning programmes.