Singapore Expats

Advice for de facto couple looking to adopt

Discuss about childcare, parenthood, playschools, educational, family & international school issues.

Sponsored by:

Canadian International School
ozinsingapore

Advice for de facto couple looking to adopt

Post by ozinsingapore » Sun, 23 Feb 2014 12:50 pm

Hi,

We are an Australian couple living in Singapore looking to adopt, and fulfil the Australian Government's criteria for adoption.

We are hoping to do a private intercountry adoption, but have also started the HSR process to be eligible to adopt in Singapore too.

As we are a de facto couple (not married, but together for 8+ years), we are finding it hard to get information on countries that allow de factos to adopt.

We know there is the possibility for one of us to adopt as a single parent, but would like to avoid this.

Does anyone know of any countries that are accepting of unmarried couples? Have any Australian couples out there recently adopted that can shed light on this?

I've had a good look through the forums, but can't find any appropriate info.

Many thanks in advance for your help!

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Re: Advice for de facto couple looking to adopt

Post by PNGMK » Sun, 23 Feb 2014 4:14 pm

ozinsingapore wrote:Hi,

We are an Australian couple living in Singapore looking to adopt, and fulfil the Australian Government's criteria for adoption.

We are hoping to do a private intercountry adoption, but have also started the HSR process to be eligible to adopt in Singapore too.

As we are a de facto couple (not married, but together for 8+ years), we are finding it hard to get information on countries that allow de factos to adopt.

We know there is the possibility for one of us to adopt as a single parent, but would like to avoid this.

Does anyone know of any countries that are accepting of unmarried couples? Have any Australian couples out there recently adopted that can shed light on this?

I've had a good look through the forums, but can't find any appropriate info.

Many thanks in advance for your help!

1. Adopting in Singapore will be impossible IMO. The (conservative) Singapore FC judge will simply not allow adoptions by gays or defactos as neither are recognized as a family unit in Singapore (rightly or wrongly).

2. Adopting internationally may work but depends on the host country rules... however just because you've managed to find a kid in the PI/Nepal and get an adoption order passed by the court THERE - you still need to get a visa for the kid to live in Singapore. Probably not that impossible but another hurdle. The normal route is of course to apply for an adoption visa back to Australia.

Australia is weird.... almost no adoptions occur within Australia (W.A. had two in the entire year when I last checked) and yet they have this weird liberal view that ghey, singles and defactos can adopt internationally via the private adoption loophole.

It sucks, I know. There's probably loopholes around it all. We had to find a few ourselves.

ozinsingapore

Post by ozinsingapore » Wed, 26 Feb 2014 9:59 am

Thanks for your input PNGMK. Sounds like if we do adopt within Singapore, it would have to be done as a single applicant.

I understand that a temporary visa application for Singapore will need to be processed for the child, while the Migration Application for Australia goes through.
I imagine this may become more complicated if we are doing a single parent application, due to our own visas (hence why we would like to avoid this route).

It is frustrating that, as a couple, we are already considered to be a family unit in the eyes of Australia, yet so far not many other countries seem to be on board with this view.

Can anyone else provide information on which countries may allow de facto adoption?

Thank you.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Wed, 26 Feb 2014 10:15 am

ozinsingapore wrote:Thanks for your input PNGMK. Sounds like if we do adopt within Singapore, it would have to be done as a single applicant.

I understand that a temporary visa application for Singapore will need to be processed for the child, while the Migration Application for Australia goes through.
I imagine this may become more complicated if we are doing a single parent application, due to our own visas (hence why we would like to avoid this route).

It is frustrating that, as a couple, we are already considered to be a family unit in the eyes of Australia, yet so far not many other countries seem to be on board with this view.

Can anyone else provide information on which countries may allow de facto adoption?

Thank you.
Here's a radical thought. Get married. Seriously the legal protection of a family unit for a child is unparalleled in the contracting of the two parents towards each other (aka "marriage"). That maybe, why you know, conservative countries insist on it. Just because Australia has a particular view of defactos doesn't mean it's right (or wrong).

Secondly you mention adopting as a single in Singapore... (I assume you mean a SC child?). If MCYS/MFS work out you're getting around them this way they'll kibosh the whole adoption I fear. If the FC court judge uncovers this you're liable to be charged with perjury. Be very careful in adoption to present your situation accurately; to not do so is an easy way to end up on the 'do not allow this person to adopt list'. You're lying by stating you're single when you're not and personal integrity is a major KPI for adoption approval by the various agencies.

Not ragging you, just trying to help you not trip up on western values....

TryingTBBMom

Adoption

Post by TryingTBBMom » Mon, 07 Apr 2014 3:35 pm

Hi,

I am not that familiar but I have a friend that lives in KL and adopted 2 beautiful children. As she put it …it was really easy.
I will try to get in touch and post an update.

xx