Singapore Expats

Should I write a letter to expedite the PR application

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
xuxiaoli

Should I write a letter to expedite the PR application

Post by xuxiaoli » Thu, 03 Apr 2014 4:02 pm

Hi,

We submitted our PR application in Nov 2012 and it is still Pending now. It has been more than 16 months. Should I write a letter requesting the officer to expedite the process? Is there anyone who has the same experience? Will it be useful?

Thanks a lot.

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Thu, 03 Apr 2014 4:20 pm

Based on your previous posts, here are few factors you mentioned before:

http://forum.singaporeexpats.com/sutra6 ... ht=#623435
Both of us graduated as Bachelor of Enginnering with First Class honor from NTU in 2009. Upon graduation, we actually received PR invitation letters. However, since we decided to pursue a higer degree, we didn't apply at that time. (I really regret for this decision).
On Jan 8, 2013, I received a letter from ICA, requesting detailed CV for my family and my husband's family. We submitted the document quickly on Jan 11, 2013.
And this one:

http://forum.singaporeexpats.com/sutra6 ... ht=#630506
The expected date of delivery is June 30. My salary is 3k/month and thus cannot apply DP or LTVP for my baby. I have written to ICA, asking how can our baby stay with us in Singapore after birth.
It means ICA is really really really trying to decide on the possible consequences of approving you and your husband (and your baby?). Remember, the grouses from the locals about foreigners are very strong, especially from China, India and many other countries, so ICA is holding a tight rein on this. Especially after you rejected the PR offer back then, that'll be quite a strong blow against your current application.

You can try calling ICA to check on the status, or even write a letter. Some may suggest asking for a MP to help you out with his/her approval (but that won't be any more successful as without).

Has your salary improved since your last post? Maybe you should update that to ICA.

Which reminds me of another thing, how is your baby and has your baby been approved to remain here after birth? (Congratulations by the way)

xuxiaoli

Thanks very much for your reply.

Post by xuxiaoli » Fri, 04 Apr 2014 9:58 am

My husband has submitted his phd thesis and it has been approved. However, he has not received his degree yet, but he should be able to get it soon. He is currently working in NUS as a research engineer, with EP. His salary is $4000/month.

I am working on my phd thesis now and expected to submit it by this August. My salary didn't get increased since I am basically just a phd student.

We have applied Dependent pass for my son, who is currently taken care by a babysitter here.

We have put my son in our application. We are not sure whether this is the reason for ICA to hold our PR application.

I think the only thing I can do is waiting.....

Beeroclock
Reporter
Reporter

Re: Thanks very much for your reply.

Post by Beeroclock » Fri, 04 Apr 2014 10:08 am

xuxiaoli wrote:I think the only thing I can do is waiting.....
Unfortunately so I think.... Doubt sending a chase-up request to ICA will make much difference really, but I also think it shouldn't harm your chance provided the tone is polite and your take the chance to re-iterate your strengths and eagerness. Good luck!

nutnut
Manager
Manager

Post by nutnut » Fri, 04 Apr 2014 10:18 am

Rather than chasing by letter, can't you go to the ICA counter and asked politely if there is any update?
nutnut

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Re: Thanks very much for your reply.

Post by the lynx » Fri, 04 Apr 2014 11:15 am

xuxiaoli wrote:My husband has submitted his phd thesis and it has been approved. However, he has not received his degree yet, but he should be able to get it soon. He is currently working in NUS as a research engineer, with EP. His salary is $4000/month.

I am working on my phd thesis now and expected to submit it by this August. My salary didn't get increased since I am basically just a phd student.

We have applied Dependent pass for my son, who is currently taken care by a babysitter here.

We have put my son in our application. We are not sure whether this is the reason for ICA to hold our PR application.

I think the only thing I can do is waiting.....
Seems like you've done what is necessary regarding your son. I wish you two all the best in your PhD thesis, and hope the graduation (and subsequent gainful employment) would turn the tide in your application.

Both of you are doing PhD in engineering as well, I presume?

I think the best move now is to wait, and I have the feeling they will make a decision after you graduate and get a job. Try to get good jobs lined up for both of you before you graduate, even better before your viva voce. I'm not sure if a postdoc position is more favourable than others but I will let other forum regulars (especially rduejj) who are familiar to this line to comment.

rdueej
Regular
Regular

Post by rdueej » Fri, 04 Apr 2014 3:08 pm

Let me state my understanding, correct me if I am wrong.
You submitted a joint application with your husband in Nov 2012. After the birth of your son in June 2013, you added the child to your application. Your husband's salary has improved since the original application as he has now finished his PhD.

My question is: Was your husband on a student pass when submitting the application ? I ask because PR through PTS scheme and PR through student pass scheme are two different routes. For example, PR granted under student pass scheme comes with NS obligations. I am not sure if a change from student pass to EP (for your husband) could have caused any cog to get stuck at ICA.

xuxiaoli

Our PR application is approved

Post by xuxiaoli » Mon, 07 Apr 2014 9:26 am

Thanks very much for all your reply.

Our PR application is approved this morning.

Beeroclock
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Beeroclock » Mon, 07 Apr 2014 9:48 am

congratulations , patience is a virtue !

the lynx
Governor
Governor

Re: Our PR application is approved

Post by the lynx » Mon, 07 Apr 2014 10:02 am

xuxiaoli wrote:Thanks very much for all your reply.

Congratulations!

iamme

Post by iamme » Mon, 07 Apr 2014 10:29 am

Congrats! :)

coolkiwi

Post by coolkiwi » Wed, 09 Apr 2014 5:52 pm

[quote="xuxiaoli"]Thanks very much for all your reply.

Our PR application is approved this morning.[/quote]

Congrats ...ur kid is lucky... :D

elnata

Post by elnata » Tue, 15 Apr 2014 12:45 pm

the lynx wrote:

Congratulations!
Hi The Lynx,

May i know how long u waited? When you applied?

I am still waiting for the outcome, have been waiting for 4 months.

Rgrds,
Elnata

the lynx
Governor
Governor

Post by the lynx » Wed, 16 Apr 2014 8:31 am

elnata wrote:
the lynx wrote:

Congratulations!
Hi The Lynx,

May i know how long u waited? When you applied?

I am still waiting for the outcome, have been waiting for 4 months.

Rgrds,
Elnata
Err.... you should ask xuxiaoli. I was just congratulating her.

xuxiaoli

16 months

Post by xuxiaoli » Wed, 16 Apr 2014 8:55 am

We wait for more than 16 months. I guess it is a new record of waiting in this forum.