Singapore Expats

GFCF

Discuss about childcare, parenthood, playschools, educational, family & international school issues.

Sponsored by:

Canadian International School
issa.salvacion

GFCF

Post by issa.salvacion » Wed, 02 Apr 2014 1:27 pm

Hi there!

I'm planning to put my son on a GFCF Diet. I'm really new to this, just need a bit of help.

He's 4yrs old and what milk recommendation can you provide as alternative? Also how much does he need to drink within the day. Currently, he's drinking milk at least 3x a day (8ounces).

Also, where is the best place to buy gluten free items which is quite reasonable.

Let me know!

x9200

Re: GFCF

Post by x9200 » Thu, 03 Apr 2014 12:59 pm

issa.salvacion wrote:Hi there!

I'm planning to put my son on a GFCF Diet. I'm really new to this, just need a bit of help.

He's 4yrs old and what milk recommendation can you provide as alternative? Also how much does he need to drink within the day. Currently, he's drinking milk at least 3x a day (8ounces).

Also, where is the best place to buy gluten free items which is quite reasonable.

Let me know!
You can locally buy the following milk alternatives:
- soy bean milk
- hazelnut milk
- almond milk
- rice milk

All available in Cold Storage (CS) and many other places. How much, I guess it will depends on the rest of the diet intakes/balance and if he really likes it.

CS also carries pretty a lot of GF products in the organic food section and some other places. Beside CS there are many organic food shops around (you may start with Brown Rice Paradise in Tanglin Mall) and they too usually carry this sort of stuff.

issa.salvacion

Post by issa.salvacion » Thu, 03 Apr 2014 1:02 pm

thanks for your help!!! much appreciated...

i'm thinking of trying almond milk first then we'll see how it goes from there.

Really hard to change his diet but I know it's for the best!

merichan
Chatter
Chatter

Post by merichan » Thu, 03 Apr 2014 3:00 pm

Main suppliers on the island of dedicated GFCF products are:

Brown Rice Paradise
Supernature

Both organics shops with a reasonable range of GF products. Supernature has fresh cheese substitute and perishables while BRP has only long shelf-lives products.

You'll also find some things like dairy-free ice-cream in Market Place.

All those products are really expensive on a Singapore salary, that's why you might go for non-dedicated GF flour, like the basic and readily available thailand rice flour if exclusion doesn't warrant a need of guaranteed dedicated food chain.

Also quite a few people on these diet here go through the iherb.com website. They deliver in Singapore and US prices are much better than SG ones.

p.s. if you look to eat out...

Try those 2 restaurants : Glee Kitchen in Toa Payoh and Jonathan's in Serangoon's garden

x9200

Post by x9200 » Thu, 03 Apr 2014 3:57 pm

Return to “Parenting, Family & Schools”