Singapore Expats

Recovery of files on corrupted external harddrive

Discuss about computers & Internet. Including mobile phones, home appliances & other gadgets. Read about Windows security risks or virus updates.
Dolph
Regular
Regular

Recovery of files on corrupted external harddrive

Post by Dolph » Mon, 31 Mar 2014 2:20 pm

I have a corrupted external harddrive and need to recover my files. I have tried different software but been unable to recover everything. I have received quotes from Kroll and AccPlus Technologies, but they are in excess of SGD 1200. Does anyone know of a cheaper way to recover my files? Thanks.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Mon, 31 Mar 2014 2:39 pm

Without knowing any details nobody will be able to answer this question. How did you corrupt the data is the first question in raw?

rdueej
Regular
Regular

Post by rdueej » Mon, 31 Mar 2014 2:44 pm

when you say corrupted, what level is the damage ?

- does it turn on and can you feel its disk spinning inside ?
- are you able to detect/mount it as a drive in your computer ?
- are you able to run fsck or chkdsk on the drive ?

Dolph
Regular
Regular

Post by Dolph » Mon, 31 Mar 2014 3:49 pm

I can turn on the disk and it's spinning and I can detect it as a drive on the computer. I believe it was damaged when my partner attempted to update the disk firmware.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Mon, 31 Mar 2014 4:15 pm

Dolph wrote:I can turn on the disk and it's spinning and I can detect it as a drive on the computer. I believe it was damaged when my partner attempted to update the disk firmware.
Normally if this something that happen along with the firmware upgrade it is not a good sign but let's assume it is not about the firmware but just the logical layer of the drive.
I also assume you already tried the disk recovery/diagnostic software of the manufacturer of the hdd.

If yes, you may try this one:
http://www.r-studio.com/

I have a good experience with it.

Chose your OS and the file system. No guaranty but it is not expensive to try and they have demos too.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Mon, 31 Mar 2014 4:50 pm

I've paid about $900 for a very successful recovery in Singapore. Damned if I can find the name tho.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 31 Mar 2014 5:13 pm

If your disc is still spinning, I've had good luck with this nifty little program "PC Inspector" file recovery freeware from Convar. I've used it once on an external drive and once on an old 3.5 inch C:\ drive that I put into an external housing when the old desktop computer motherboard died and I replaced it with a notebook.

http://www.pcinspector.de/default.htm?language=1
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Mon, 31 Mar 2014 8:40 pm

If you ever want to recover your disk data, DO NOT TURN ON THE DISK AND SPIN IT EVER AGAIN.

It may be firmware problems. But, just as likely, it will have been a head crash that has now filled the disk with minute particles of disk substrate. Each time you turn it on, you risk further damage.

And yes, having have paid to recover two disks in years gone by, $1200 is the norm for such work. It has to be done in a clean room. It's a long process where data is removed sector by sector, then ultimately reassembled back into files. They don't always get every bit exactly right due to lost data.

I used Adroit Data Recovery both times. Besides being slightly cheaper than others, they definitely quoted faster processing times, and were recommended to me as the best in town. I concur.

http://www.adrc.com/

Edited to add: If indeed it is only a firmware issue, Adroit will either repair the firmware and/or transfer disc mechanics to a working disk and adjust costs accordingly.

Dolph
Regular
Regular

Post by Dolph » Wed, 02 Apr 2014 12:46 pm

Thanks guys, really appreciate the feedback. I will explore my options!

QueensG

Post by QueensG » Sat, 05 Apr 2014 2:57 pm