Singapore Expats

Dual Citizenship for Singaporeans by Birth

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 28 Mar 2014 2:08 pm

If you plan on challenging the Singapore Government, you better hope that Country X hold a lot of stroke and carries a lot of weight with Singapore. ;-) So far, the only one I'm aware of that carries that kind of weight is the US. PRC maybe soon as well. Other than that, I can think of none.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Mad Scientist
Director
Director
Answers: 4

Post by Mad Scientist » Fri, 28 Mar 2014 4:39 pm

You should have done it at your wife foreign country and keep it under wraps.
If you have done alot of research on Singapore consitution , so you know, SG do not have Constitutional Lawyers per se.
No one has challenge this issue in the court of law but I stand to be corrected here as these words comes from my sister whom is a practise lawyer in SG.
It is not so much about the Constitutional Statutes that is being presented but the guidelines that comes after that which is more define
I gave you eg. of the Penal Code for murder in SG which defines if guilty , the sentence will be death by hanging. The late JB Jeyaretnam managed to win a court case whom he defended a guilty person for murder. The judge sentenced the defendant to hang for murder
He was hanged but he did not die on the ropes and was resuscitated. The prosecutor asked for re sentencing but JB went to High Court and successfully won this case as he was sentenced to hang but did not not die hence there is no double jeopardy in law as he has served his punishment for the crime he committed
After that the Minister for Law changed the Penal Code by adding "sentence to hang till death"
Statues stated murder will be the sentence of hanging but the Penal Code changes to hang till death and has been revised into the Penal Code
I can give you many examples on these contradictory view on Singapore Law
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

taxico
Director
Director

Post by taxico » Fri, 28 Mar 2014 10:53 pm

unforgiven wrote:...I have been doing research about what the Singapore Constitution states.

If it is an issue for him to lose his X citizenship in future, then we may consider challenging ICA's requirement for him to renounce his other citizenship as the Constitution does not state that he has to. Whatever the case, we still have another 20 odd years before that happens.
i was wrong to think that the singapore constitution does not have constitutional supremacy. having said that, i have not read through the constitution in full.

still i am unsure if you can challenge the government in court over your son's right to be not deprived of his singapore citizenship because...

"...to give effect to the principle of constitutional supremacy, the courts have to exercise their powers of judicial review to ensure that legislations are not repugnant to the doctrines of rule of law and separation of powers, and are also not inconsistent with the Constitution. The courts have internal restrictions on their scope of judicial powers and will decline jurisdiction where they do not have the requisite expertise or where it is inappropriate for the courts to intervene. Ultimately, the courts should not develop an adversarial relationship with the Executive, but rather, adopt the “green-light”
Aut viam ad caelum inveniam aut faciam