Singapore Expats

PR Application (Spouse/Child of Singapore Citizen) Approved

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
unforgiven

PR Application (Spouse/Child of Singapore Citizen) Approved

Post by unforgiven » Tue, 25 Mar 2014 4:02 pm

Hi, I recently received an In Principle Approval from ICA for my wife's and son's PR application by virtue of my Singaporean Citizenship. Would like to share my experience.

Myself
Race: Chinese
Income: ~$75,000 per annum, financial industry, paid income tax for the past 4 years.
Education: Bachelor's Degree (Perth, Australia)

My wife
Status: Citizen of ASEAN country (not Malaysia), on LTVP+ (we have another male SC child)
Income: n/a - not working
Education: Middle School

My son
Status: Citizen of ASEAN country (not Malaysia)y, on LTVP. Although Singapore Citizen by descent, his birth was not registered when he was born overseas

We applied for PR sometime back in August last year and just received the IPA. If you have more questions that you are interested to find out, please let me know and I will divulge if convenient. Cheers!

iamme

Post by iamme » Tue, 25 Mar 2014 4:31 pm

Congratulations!

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 25 Mar 2014 6:11 pm

IF your wife and son are Indonesian Chinese, be very careful about his military obligation in Singapore and his Military obligation/Citizenship in Indonesia. While I don't know that much about it, from what I understand it is a virtual minefield. There are some posts in the Strictly Speaking forum on this board related to same (Mad Scientist would be the authority on all Singapore and Indonesian military obligations) So, I think I would do a little research before finalizing his PR here as that will obligate him to do National Service in Singapore as a codicil of gaining PR.

A related post to help you get started if your wife / child are Indonesian....

http://forum.singaporeexpats.com/ftopic ... sc-20.html

See posts by RonnieNolan
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Beeroclock
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Beeroclock » Tue, 25 Mar 2014 10:36 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:IF your wife and son are Indonesian Chinese, be very careful about his military obligation in Singapore and his Military obligation/Citizenship in Indonesia. While I don't know that much about it, from what I understand it is a virtual minefield. There are some posts in the Strictly Speaking forum on this board related to same (Mad Scientist would be the authority on all Singapore and Indonesian military obligations) So, I think I would do a little research before finalizing his PR here as that will obligate him to do National Service in Singapore as a codicil of gaining PR.

A related post to help you get started if your wife / child are Indonesian....

http://forum.singaporeexpats.com/ftopic ... sc-20.html

See posts by RonnieNolan
interesting thread that one !

niceit198

Post by niceit198 » Wed, 26 Mar 2014 1:28 am

should be a thailand or vietnam ??

but u said your son on LTVP ?
Citizen of ASEAN country (not Malaysia)y, on LTVP. Although Singapore Citizen by descent, his birth was not registered when he was born overseas d when he was born overseas

In final your son are citizen and your wife gain pR ?

unforgiven

Post by unforgiven » Wed, 26 Mar 2014 10:14 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:IF your wife and son are Indonesian Chinese, be very careful about his military obligation in Singapore and his Military obligation/Citizenship in Indonesia.
Thanks for letting me know! They are not Indonesia Chinese but my son does have military obligations in his home country. That can however be settled with some connections :-$ and the knowhow to play with legal loopholes in the system.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 26 Mar 2014 11:43 am

Just tryin' to touch all the bases that I'm aware of and also to point out potential minefields. If not specifically applicable, it might just jog something else you need to check with the actual countries involved. Any decisions made today will have long ranging impact on your son later. As you are local, you are now understanding some of the problems the expats who take up PR are faced with regarding sons and why it's such a flashpoint for locals and expats alike. Anything you do today may have adverse impact a dozen or more years later. Good Look and keep up the research.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 26 Mar 2014 11:54 am

I do have some problems with your posts, however. In your other thread....
unforgiven wrote:Hi, thanks so much to everyone here in this forum who have actively contributed their experiences and opinions. Although this is my first post, I have benefited greatly from the information in here, so please accept my heartfelt thanks. Not sure if this has been discussed before, but I would like to put this out in the open and seek your views if any.

My son currently holds dual citizenship. He was born in Singapore, and has Singapore citizenship by BIRTH as I am a Singapore citizen. At the same time he holds a citizenship with Country X by BIRTH as his mother is a X citizen. I applied for the necessary with Country X's embassy here in Singapore to obtain his citizenship.
You will note that there is a bit of a discrepancy between the two threads. One claims he has dual citizenship and was born in Singapore while the other claims the son was born overseas and the birth was not registered.
unforgiven wrote: My son
Status: Citizen of ASEAN country (not Malaysia)y, on LTVP. Although Singapore Citizen by descent, his birth was not registered when he was born overseas
Would you mind clearing up this little bit?

unforgiven

Post by unforgiven » Thu, 27 Mar 2014 9:59 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:You will note that there is a bit of a discrepancy between the two threads. One claims he has dual citizenship and was born in Singapore while the other claims the son was born overseas and the birth was not registered.

Would you mind clearing up this little bit?
No worries, if you refer to my post above:
unforgiven wrote:My wife
Status: Citizen of ASEAN country (not Malaysia), on LTVP+ (we have another male SC child)
Income: n/a - not working
Education: Middle School

My son
I have two sons.
First son a citizen of Country X and Singapore PR (to be)
Second son a dual Singaporean and Country X citizen.

Cheers.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 27 Mar 2014 10:03 am

Thanks. I somehow glossed over that. Not once, but twice! :oops: :wink:

unforgiven

Post by unforgiven » Thu, 27 Mar 2014 10:44 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Thanks. I somehow glossed over that. Not once, but twice! :oops: :wink:
It's alright. I also just realised I may have sounded like a potential fib teller. :cool: