Singapore Expats

e-cig

Discuss about computers & Internet. Including mobile phones, home appliances & other gadgets. Read about Windows security risks or virus updates.
colin44

e-cig

Post by colin44 » Sun, 02 Mar 2014 2:06 pm

Please guide me how to get e-cig, pls PM me.
Thanks

nutnut
Manager
Manager

Post by nutnut » Sun, 02 Mar 2014 3:26 pm

They are illegal in Singapore, you can't get one here without going to a supplier to supply you one illegally or to bring one in from another country illegally.

Simply owning an ecig will potentially land you with a $500 fine and they will confiscate the device. If you attempt to have an ecig or some juice posted in it will be confiscated by customs (more than likely) and you will receive a letter from hsa/customs.

http://www.hsa.gov.sg/publish/hsaportal ... ition.html
nutnut

Fortan
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Fortan » Mon, 03 Mar 2014 8:00 am

nutnut wrote:They are illegal in Singapore, you can't get one here without going to a supplier to supply you one illegally or to bring one in from another country illegally.

Simply owning an ecig will potentially land you with a $500 fine and they will confiscate the device. If you attempt to have an ecig or some juice posted in it will be confiscated by customs (more than likely) and you will receive a letter from hsa/customs.

http://www.hsa.gov.sg/publish/hsaportal ... ition.html
Not interested in e-cigs but do you know what the reasoning they are not legal? I find it very strange - just as I find it strange that all kinds of nicotine products here are 3-4 times more expensive than normal cigarettes.

nutnut
Manager
Manager

Post by nutnut » Mon, 03 Mar 2014 9:05 am

The official reason seems to be that they are not regulated and therefore they cannot condone them.

I expect the actual reason is more like, they stop smokers smoking and they can't tax them, therefore they lose huge amounts of revenue, hence, make them illegal.
nutnut

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Mon, 03 Mar 2014 1:16 pm

I know a guy who buys the pipe and juice (liquid) in JB somewhere. He openly uses it. CLaims it's not quite so deadly as the real thing.

nutnut
Manager
Manager

Post by nutnut » Tue, 04 Mar 2014 12:54 pm

Yes, they are freely available in JB from carts in malls, but, bringing them back to SG is illegal and we should not condone it.
nutnut

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 04 Mar 2014 12:56 pm

nutnut wrote:Yes, they are freely available in JB from carts in malls, but, bringing them back to SG is illegal and we should not condone it.
^^This.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Fri, 07 Mar 2014 7:17 pm

PNGMK wrote:I know a guy who buys the pipe and juice (liquid) in JB somewhere. He openly uses it. CLaims it's not quite so deadly as the real thing.
I beg to differ

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... rette.html

x9200

Post by x9200 » Fri, 07 Mar 2014 8:28 pm

Very good analogy ecureilx.I can only add to this that if you hammer an e-cigarette into someones eye this person is likely to die too. This further proves that traditional cigarettes are much safer.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Fri, 07 Mar 2014 9:12 pm

x9200 wrote:Very good analogy ecureilx.I can only add to this that if you hammer an e-cigarette into someones eye this person is likely to die too. This further proves that traditional cigarettes are much safer.
as long as traditional cigarettes aren't lit .. I agree .... :-)

Ceasor

Post by Ceasor » Thu, 27 Mar 2014 3:36 am

I did have friends who smoked those e cigs blatantly in clubs. They dont even go to the smoking room since theres no flames, they just puff and replace it in their pockets.

AuntieMabel

Post by AuntieMabel » Wed, 07 May 2014 2:54 pm

Oh, that's disappointing. I have given up smoking by switching to eCigs - it just means I have something to hand when I get the urge to smoke. Many of my previously smoking friends have done the same.

I used one quite openly the last couple of times I was in Singapore - I had no idea they were illegal. But I'm looking at heading over there long-term soon, and so it's a real shame they're not available. It'll make it hard not to fall off the wagon and start smoking again.

It's ludicrous to ban them - they are significantly less harmful than cigarettes, and proven to help people give up.

Fortan
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Fortan » Wed, 07 May 2014 3:24 pm

AuntieMabel wrote:Oh, that's disappointing. I have given up smoking by switching to eCigs - it just means I have something to hand when I get the urge to smoke. Many of my previously smoking friends have done the same.

I used one quite openly the last couple of times I was in Singapore - I had no idea they were illegal. But I'm looking at heading over there long-term soon, and so it's a real shame they're not available. It'll make it hard not to fall off the wagon and start smoking again.

It's ludicrous to ban them - they are significantly less harmful than cigarettes, and proven to help people give up.
I agree... and don't expect to be able to get nicotine gum, as it is usually sold out and also very, very expensive. Doesn't really look like they want to lose whatever they gain from the tobacco sale.

gailwynand
Regular
Regular

Post by gailwynand » Wed, 07 May 2014 4:29 pm

The US is preparing regulations for e-cigs, I suspect Singapore will take another look at the issue once those are complete.

Steve1960
Editor
Editor

Post by Steve1960 » Wed, 07 May 2014 7:47 pm

Ban e-cigs to protect the general population from..........hmmm what? Still, allow the population to fill their bodies with saturated fat and salt eating at Hawker centres and Old Chang Kee.

Makes perfect sense.

Return to “Computer, Internet, Phone & Electronics”