Singapore Expats

Expatriate?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
x9200

Post by x9200 » Tue, 25 Mar 2014 3:52 pm

and Marks & Spencer.

Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Post by Wd40 » Tue, 25 Mar 2014 3:52 pm

Yeah, so when there is no dignity of labour in this country(and many other Asian countries), its not surprising that expats are considered as someone who are from rich countries and do high end work and are paid well.

Hannieroo
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Hannieroo » Tue, 25 Mar 2014 3:58 pm

I hate Marks. Overpriced clothing as worn by kibbutz workers in 1984. You're not fooling us with your clothes on the hangers sideways, M&S, there's nothing cool about your butt lift mum cords.

Sorry. I'm very gobby this week.

maneo
Reporter
Reporter

Post by maneo » Tue, 25 Mar 2014 3:59 pm

Hannieroo wrote:Zara, Mango, Esprit, Topshop and Dorothy Perkins etc all do up to a UK 16/large. Robinson's too, they carry some really nice ranges aimed at the 35+ market.
There are a few others also mentioned in these 2 links:
http://www.expatliving.sg/body_style/fa ... s-3290.ece
http://www.singaporeclothes.sg/plussizeclothes.html

If one is on Serangoon, should just go a little further down to Mustafa's.
For a younger look you might consider Qoo10.

There are a lot of local women that do not fit into petite sizes, yet still manage to look somewhat fashionable.

Hannieroo
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Hannieroo » Tue, 25 Mar 2014 4:17 pm

Did you google plus sized clothing?

There's nothing plus sized about being big enough to carry your own handbag.

TryingTBBMom

I'm totally lost?

Post by TryingTBBMom » Tue, 25 Mar 2014 4:36 pm

Yes your right I did forget about those stores. I really do very little clothing shopping here…call me cheap! and as I had full post typed just prior to starhub taking a break, that explained in more detail…sadly It was lost.
At any rate I am a US 10 or UK 14, I like having bits and bobs stitched when needed. I usually stock up on home leave in the "necessities" dept. I love out of the way local shops Little India and Arab St are faves! Nothing better than hitting Mustapha's on a monday am and then having lunch at a local vegetarian cafe.
But totally clueless and lost on how and where + size came into the picture?

TryingTBBMom

I agree

Post by TryingTBBMom » Tue, 25 Mar 2014 4:44 pm

I agree, I find the women very fashionable here. I just am really clear on what I can and cannot wear, whether thats due to my body and or my age.
8-)

TryingTBBMom

So Funny

Post by TryingTBBMom » Tue, 25 Mar 2014 4:50 pm

Has anyone noticed the serious topic has now split… most of the men are still on stereotyping in relation to expats and the women are on to shopping! LOL

x9200

Post by x9200 » Tue, 25 Mar 2014 4:54 pm

Hannieroo wrote:I hate Marks. Overpriced clothing as worn by kibbutz workers in 1984. You're not fooling us with your clothes on the hangers sideways, M&S, there's nothing cool about your butt lift mum cords.

Sorry. I'm very gobby this week.
Kibbutz or not saved my fat butt few times already where Robinsons and the rest failed.

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Re: shopping at home

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Tue, 25 Mar 2014 5:09 pm

TryingTBBMom wrote:f That is probably why i Love India so much as it is the norm to have your cloths stitched than buy off a rack..
tell me about it! I miss my tailor dude.. he had all my measurements in his books all i needed was to go buy cloth and give it to him, he's stitch in a week and give it back.
Virtually every household has a family tailor back home :lol:
To get there early is on time and showing up on time is late

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 25 Mar 2014 6:15 pm

Wd40 wrote:Steve1980, atleast you live in Toa Payoh. Can you even picture a white living in a HDB in Ang Mo Kio or Tampines? I cannot.

I had an Indian colleague in my previous company who got a job in Barclays and he "behaved" like a real expat. He lived in a condo in Bishan and he travelled only in Taxi. He stayed here for 2 years and finally he said Singapore is just too expensive with even 9k salary per month. He got almost equivalent of that salary and moved to Pune and now he is living like a true expat there and is happy.

So I agree, it has nothing to do with colour of skin.
I live in an HDB in Serangoon North at the end of AMK Ave 3, wat you talkin' 'bout dude!
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 25 Mar 2014 6:20 pm

In fact. I bought it! 15 years ago. :lol:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Hannieroo
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Hannieroo » Tue, 25 Mar 2014 6:22 pm

Gerroff my thread. Real expatriates only.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Tue, 25 Mar 2014 6:52 pm

Hannieroo wrote:Gerroff my thread. Real expatriates only.
Said in the spirit of a 'expat' :lol:

Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Post by Wd40 » Tue, 25 Mar 2014 7:06 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Wd40 wrote:Steve1980, atleast you live in Toa Payoh. Can you even picture a white living in a HDB in Ang Mo Kio or Tampines? I cannot.

I had an Indian colleague in my previous company who got a job in Barclays and he "behaved" like a real expat. He lived in a condo in Bishan and he travelled only in Taxi. He stayed here for 2 years and finally he said Singapore is just too expensive with even 9k salary per month. He got almost equivalent of that salary and moved to Pune and now he is living like a true expat there and is happy.

So I agree, it has nothing to do with colour of skin.
I live in an HDB in Serangoon North at the end of AMK Ave 3, wat you talkin' 'bout dude!
I know. But you are not an expat, technically. You are a PR :P