Singapore Expats

Does Singapore deserve its 'miserable' tag?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
x9200

Post by x9200 » Wed, 19 Mar 2014 8:02 am

I believe adding dogs to the equation complicates further the whole thing. I love dogs and used to have some but I would be not so friendly seeing somebody with a dog doing something on my lawn. Probably everybody in this thread cleans the mess after their dogs but I am afraid this is not the world-wide average.

earthfriendly
Manager
Manager

Post by earthfriendly » Wed, 19 Mar 2014 8:39 am

I know, I know, that is a good reason why some people don't have pets. I do not know how to clean the urine off the lawn. Anyway, to simplify matters, I hardly ever take my dog thru the neighborhood, mostly thru the main street away from residential fronts. Lesser chance of encountering people = less problem.

I think part of being in a neighborhood is that you will have neighbors walking their dogs. Unless one lives in a gated castle and your front yard is off limit.

earthfriendly
Manager
Manager

Post by earthfriendly » Wed, 19 Mar 2014 8:49 am

I think people have to be careful about being very guarded about their personal space and (property) rights. Very soon, we would be so afraid of offending each others' sensibilities that we avoid/minimize social contact. Be careful what you wish for.

I have never walked my dog thru her front yard ever since. I can't control when my dog choose to do her business. Just now I happened to look at her lawn, it sure does have brown patches. So I understand her concern. Not sure what caused it. But definitely not from my dog.

Hannieroo
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Hannieroo » Wed, 19 Mar 2014 9:12 am

I would be livid if somebody let their dog do stuff on my property. You can train your dog not to but avoiding the areas is better. Dog urine creates burnt patches on grass and faeces cannot be properly cleaned away with just a pick up.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Wed, 19 Mar 2014 9:15 am

It's obvious nobody would clean up after the dog urinating but some people also don't do it after the dog poops.
Generally I would avoid doing anything of this sort with my dog on somebody's front house lawn as I believe nobody would like to have in such place a public toilet, for dogs / human, does not matter.

earthfriendly
Manager
Manager

Post by earthfriendly » Wed, 19 Mar 2014 9:18 am

After the incident, I did research and found out about the issue. Yeap, best to avoid.

Hannieroo
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Hannieroo » Wed, 19 Mar 2014 9:22 am

In the States we had a neighbour that let his dog come up our drive every day and do what it pleased. It had an extendable leash so he never set foot on the property. We tried asking, explaining that none of our 4 dogs did it and his response was that because we rented we had no rights.

I found a couple of days of sat on the stairs watching through the window and setting off my car alarm every time the dog started to squat did the trick.

Akimbo
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Akimbo » Wed, 19 Mar 2014 10:07 am

pisceangirl wrote:the adrenalin does kick in when it should!
I think it's only good for another year, though...after 2 years in Singapore, my "natural instincts" waned, and I felt that I need to retrain my "animal features" again...so I set out to travel alone for 10 days in Cambodia at the beginning of 2013...everyone in the office was like, "You're going there, ALONE???"

Because Singapore is so "safe", I feel the need to keep my reflexes and mindfulness sharp...feeling too comfortable IS a bad thing...
My thread...The Weekenders If you need my e-mail address, it's in the first post of the thread.

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Wed, 19 Mar 2014 12:45 pm

I'm in Hong Kong for a week and it took me a bit of time to get readjusted to jostling and pushing people around, here this is quite normal..and guard device had to be armed again.... and of late in HK the MTR announcements are " please don't keep looking only at your mobile phone" :lol: :lol:

I think they need to do that in Sg too.. or something like Please turn on your brain "
To get there early is on time and showing up on time is late

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 19 Mar 2014 12:58 pm

Then there would be a mad scramble trying to find the switch to turn it on. Far as I know, they aren't even aware that it can be turned on. :cool:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Akimbo
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Akimbo » Wed, 19 Mar 2014 1:14 pm

Just saw in Yahoo SG (article from The Smart Local 18 hours ago) that Singapore (according to an analysis by British council, which I cross-referenced to be a survey in 2007...http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/magazine/6614637.stm or perhaps this one, but there's no date on the article http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/ ... -ever.html ) is the fastest walker on the planet, followed by Copenhagen, Madrid, Guangzhou and Dublin...

:roll:

Really? F*ckin looking at their phones to watch their K-Dramas or Crushing Candies while walking and sotong their way around? Or am I just walking faster than everyone else?
My thread...The Weekenders If you need my e-mail address, it's in the first post of the thread.

pisceangirl
Chatter
Chatter

Post by pisceangirl » Wed, 19 Mar 2014 1:25 pm

Akimbo wrote:
I think it's only good for another year, though...after 2 years in Singapore, my "natural instincts" waned, and I felt that I need to retrain my "animal features" again...so I set out to travel alone for 10 days in Cambodia at the beginning of 2013...everyone in the office was like, "You're going there, ALONE???"

Because Singapore is so "safe", I feel the need to keep my reflexes and mindfulness sharp...feeling too comfortable IS a bad thing...
I can vouch for this myself. The first time I went home after spending a year in SG, my mum and I were crossing a street. The pedestrian light turned green and I started to cross-my mum jerked my hand and pulled me back and sure enough a car whizzed by. "Eyes on the road girl" is all she said. And then it hit me- a year of living in SG and I was taking so many things for granted and yes, the waning of natural instincts... not good at all- I remember feeling like I was turning into this robot that was more focussed on the colour of the traffic light than the reality on the street!
Don't get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am, my attitude depends on who you are. (Tupac)

Barnsley
Manager
Manager

Post by Barnsley » Wed, 19 Mar 2014 1:29 pm

pisceangirl wrote:
Akimbo wrote:

I can vouch for this myself. The first time I went home after spending a year in SG, my mum and I were crossing a street. The pedestrian light turned green and I started to cross-my mum jerked my hand and pulled me back and sure enough a car whizzed by. "Eyes on the road girl" is all she said. And then it hit me- a year of living in SG and I was taking so many things for granted and yes, the waning of natural instincts... not good at all- I remember feeling like I was turning into this robot that was more focussed on the colour of the traffic light than the reality on the street!
Where do you cross the road in Singapore where drivers don't drive through red lights if they haven't started slowing down?

Its the same here as everywhere else in the world.

I only cross if cars already stopped or no cars coming as they will just drive through the red light. This is my rule wherever I am in the world.
Life is short, paddle harder!!

pisceangirl
Chatter
Chatter

Post by pisceangirl » Wed, 19 Mar 2014 1:48 pm

Never happened to me on a busy street/main road in Singapore (yet). While some cars may whizz past when the signal just changes, there is a time lag before the pedestrian sign turns green and I have not experienced drivers in SG speeding past once that happens.

For me personally, moving to SG has made me a lot less wary in general. Not a good thing cause like they say, low crime doesn't mean no crime.

On that note, quite shocking to read this news report about a woman in SG who was attacked near her condo-

http://sg.news.yahoo.com/-i-honestly-th ... 16242.html
Don't get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am, my attitude depends on who you are. (Tupac)

pisceangirl
Chatter
Chatter

Post by pisceangirl » Wed, 19 Mar 2014 1:50 pm

Akimbo wrote:Just saw in Yahoo SG (article from The Smart Local 18 hours ago) that Singapore (according to an analysis by British council, which I cross-referenced to be a survey in 2007...http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/magazine/6614637.stm or perhaps this one, but there's no date on the article http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/ ... -ever.html ) is the fastest walker on the planet, followed by Copenhagen, Madrid, Guangzhou and Dublin...

:roll:

Really? F*ckin looking at their phones to watch their K-Dramas or Crushing Candies while walking and sotong their way around? Or am I just walking faster than everyone else?
Mumbai, Hong Kong anyone?

SG, no way! Slowwwwwwwww is the way to gooooo!