Singapore Expats

Help Finding Great Talent in Singapore

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
piyushdabomb

Help Finding Great Talent in Singapore

Post by piyushdabomb » Wed, 12 Mar 2014 4:34 pm

Hi Everyone,

I'm currently in need of a few great candidates who can do the job. Since I'm new in Singapore, work for a small firm, and first time on the lookout for candidates, I need your help answering the following questions.

1. What are all the best sources to look for quality candidates? If you can, let me know which websites, advertizement agencies, job fairs, campuses, etc...

2. One of my challenges is finding candidates with "great" communication skills. Most people ask for it, but I DEMAND it. Most of these folks can't speak clearly and if they can, they can't write well. In your experience, where do you find these rare gems?

3. About foreign vs. local talent, I'm open to both. Do employment pass holders demand more money usually?

4. Does Singapore Expats have a place I can post jobs?

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Re: Help Finding Great Talent in Singapore

Post by the lynx » Wed, 12 Mar 2014 4:40 pm

piyushdabomb wrote:Hi Everyone,

I'm currently in need of a few great candidates who can do the job. Since I'm new in Singapore, work for a small firm, and first time on the lookout for candidates, I need your help answering the following questions.

1. What are all the best sources to look for quality candidates? If you can, let me know which websites, advertizement agencies, job fairs, campuses, etc...

Normally word of mouth and personal recommendations work the best. And poaching.

2. One of my challenges is finding candidates with "great" communication skills. Most people ask for it, but I DEMAND it. Most of these folks can't speak clearly and if they can, they can't write well. In your experience, where do you find these rare gems?

Have writing as part of the interview. Well, you can already assess the speaking part from the interview itself. Or you can send a interview question beforehand for them to prepare a short discourse to present.

3. About foreign vs. local talent, I'm open to both. Do employment pass holders demand more money usually?

Especially from quality pool of talents. If you hire someone from Ivy League, you can't blame them for expecting higher pay. Both local and foreigner apply to this rule.

4. Does Singapore Expats have a place I can post jobs?

Yes. Under job classifieds. Please contact admin as instructed in the classifieds.

Sara.D

Post by Sara.D » Tue, 18 Mar 2014 11:06 am

I don't know where you could advertise for locals but if you are looking for expats, contact different country organisations. Most of them will have a job board for their members where you can advertise your job for free. E.g. have a look at the Job Board from the American Association of Singapore: http://www.aasingapore.com/for-employers/

I don't think DP holders DEMAND more money but you might have to pay them a certain salary in order to get the LOC for them. But this is to be verified as I am really not sure about the regulations.

From my own experience DP holders are usually trailing spouses who are highly qualified but have troubles finding a job here due to their restricted work permit. If you are ready to go the extra mile for them and to apply for a letter of consent (which is really not much work and quite a quick process), you should be able to find great talents for your company!

ohmz52
Regular
Regular

Post by ohmz52 » Tue, 18 Mar 2014 10:46 pm

Craigslist works well
The grass is greener on the other side.