Singapore Expats

Unpaid Internship For LTVP holder

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
mogumogu91

Unpaid Internship For LTVP holder

Post by mogumogu91 » Mon, 17 Mar 2014 10:33 pm

Hi,

I've been offered an unpaid internship by a company so I would like to know if it's illegal for an LTVP holder to do unpaid internship?

Thanks

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Re: Unpaid Internship For LTVP holder

Post by PNGMK » Tue, 18 Mar 2014 12:25 am

mogumogu91 wrote:Hi,

I've been offered an unpaid internship by a company so I would like to know if it's illegal for an LTVP holder to do unpaid internship?

Thanks
Possibly, you're depriving a legitimate employee (SC, SPR) of a place as an internee.

Beeroclock
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Beeroclock » Tue, 18 Mar 2014 9:33 am

the ltvp in principle approval wording includes
Holder of a Visit Pass is not permitted to work or engage in any business, profession or occupation without a valid work permit or written consent from the Controller of Work Pass.
I understand you are allowed to "explore" for work, but the term "intern" might be problematic even if unpaid. Others may have specific experience on this but to me seems in the grey area and would be safest to clarify with MOM.

rdueej
Regular
Regular

Re: Unpaid Internship For LTVP holder

Post by rdueej » Tue, 18 Mar 2014 11:35 am

mogumogu91 wrote:Hi,

Thanks
I am quite certain that you cannot be employed by a company while on a LTVP. A letter of consent (LoC) is possible only for LTVP+ and DP holders these days. As an LTVP holder, your company will need to apply for a work pass to hire you.

Not paying you, just makes the company seem more desperate for free labour and increase suspicions of kickback (or off-the-books) schemes. I am not claiming these are the case in your situation, but just viewing at your case from another point of view.

If you are still unsure, best to call MoM and clarify.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Tue, 18 Mar 2014 7:10 pm

You can (or could at least) do voluntary work while on LTVP. It is based on LoC type of approval. I suggest you or the company contact MoM directly and verify if this would be possible in your specific case.