Singapore Expats

Local Practice in SG(Store Mgr, Asst Store Mgr, Sales Staff)

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
ms.dandelion

Local Practice in SG(Store Mgr, Asst Store Mgr, Sales Staff)

Post by ms.dandelion » Sat, 15 Mar 2014 11:25 am

Hi everyone,

If anyone have time and info, please kindly answer my questions. I'd be very much thankful!

Let's say our company is going to expand our business in Plaza Singapura and wish to hire three main positions: store manager, assistant store manger and sales associate. Therefore, we would like to know what should we offer them as an employer.

What I wish to know is the following:
1. How long does the probation period normally last? Three months minimum?
2. Does Singaporean normally get their salary adjusted after probation?
3. What’s the normal rate of overtime?
4. Is it compulsory for the employer to provide insurance for employees? What brand is the most prevalent one?
5. Does the retail staff wear uniform? Do they need uniform deposit? If yes, about how much?
6. What are the benefits that the store manager/asst store manager are entitled to i.e. travelling allowance, mobile allowance, car park, toll fee etc. Also how much is the normal rate for each?
7. Do the full time staff get any incentives?
8. Does one need kind of guarantee if his job is relevant to dealing with money (when signing contract)?
9. How much does the employer/employee pay for social security each month

I guess that's all I would like to know so far. Thanks so much in advance for those who take time to help me! Greatly appreciate it :)

Have a nice weekend! :)

beppi
Manager
Manager

Post by beppi » Sat, 15 Mar 2014 6:52 pm

The anser to each of your questions is:
It is up to you and the employee to agree on this and state this in the employment contract.
Except question 4, where the answer is No.
And question 9, where the answer is found on www.cpf.gov.sg (in short: foreigners pay nothing, PR and citizens normal CPF rate).

ms.dandelion

Post by ms.dandelion » Sat, 15 Mar 2014 7:06 pm

beppi wrote:The anser to each of your questions is:
It is up to you and the employee to agree on this and state this in the employment contract.
Except question 4, where the answer is No.
And question 9, where the answer is found on www.cpf.gov.sg (in short: foreigners pay nothing, PR and citizens normal CPF rate).
Thanks a lot for your answer!

Does it mean that the social security is already included in CPF?

If you don't mind me asking, is it possible for you to estimate the number approximately? I mean what is the typical rate in the market?

beppi
Manager
Manager

Post by beppi » Sat, 15 Mar 2014 7:20 pm

CPF is the only social security in Singapore.
The standard rate is 16% (employer) and 20% (employee) up to S$5000/month. There are different rates for fresh PRs and elderly employees - read the CPF webpage!

ms.dandelion

Post by ms.dandelion » Sat, 15 Mar 2014 7:21 pm

beppi wrote:CPF is the only social security in Singapore.
The standard rate is 16% (employer) and 20% (employee) up to S$5000/month. There are different rates for fresh PRs and elderly employees - read the CPF webpage!
Thanks for the info! I just want to make sure. It's just that where I live they are separated - provident fund and social security.

Anyway, THANKS A LOT for your help :)

beppi
Manager
Manager

Post by beppi » Sat, 15 Mar 2014 8:35 pm

If you want to register a business (shop) and employ people in Singapore and have so little knowledge of the matter, it is advisable to engage a service provider for the issues.

Sara.D

Post by Sara.D » Tue, 18 Mar 2014 11:31 am

I fully agree with beppi but here my two cents :) :

1. How long does the probation period normally last? Three months minimum?

A lot of companies do 6 months but it's really up to you.

2. Does Singaporean normally get their salary adjusted after probation?

Again up to you. Some companies grant their employees the same salary during probation as for the rest of their employment. But I also know a lot of people who start on a smaller salary and then get a raise once probation period is over.

3. What’s the normal rate of overtime?

I have never been paid for overtime. It just says in the contract that any overtime that needs to be done is already covered by the salary.

4. Is it compulsory for the employer to provide insurance for employees? What brand is the most prevalent one?

No

5. Does the retail staff wear uniform? Do they need uniform deposit? If yes, about how much?

It depends on your personal preferences. I've seen in many shops sales assistants wearing their own clothes but in a certain colour, e.g. black. It's like a middle way :)

6. What are the benefits that the store manager/asst store manager are entitled to i.e. travelling allowance, mobile allowance, car park, toll fee etc. Also how much is the normal rate for each?

Again up to you to decide on how much you are willing to spend/to invest. I used to work for a small start-up where every single trip, lunch with clients, etc. needed to be discussed with the boss beforehand (can?do we want to afford this?). Later I worked for a bigger company where my boss paid for my mobile and all the trips.

7. Do the full time staff get any incentives?

I would advise you to give them some incentives. It is very important to give your staff some goals and to motivate them and to reward them if they reach their goals.