Singapore Expats

Malaysian Airlines Flight MH370 Missing after take off

Discuss about any latest news or current affairs in Singapore or globally. Please DO NOT copy and paste news articles from other sources without written permission.
x9200

Post by x9200 » Sun, 16 Mar 2014 10:33 am

I wonder what will be the response of the aviation safety authorities for all this.
Why it is possible in the first place to switch off from the cabin the transponder in a commercial airliner? Same question goes for the Acars systems.

rdueej
Regular
Regular

Post by rdueej » Sun, 16 Mar 2014 10:36 am

ecureilx wrote:
zzm9980 wrote: Why would anyone sue for the cost even in the US? That kind of stuff is pretty much limited to when a single person does something stupid like climbs a mountain at a dangerous time of the year when it's closed for safety reasons, and the climber calls in their own search and rescue because they get lost or stranded.
I see us coast guard often publishing cost of search.

I presumed someone possibly paid for it end of the day ... sorry if I misread it ...
Do airlines have insurance policies covering their multi-million dollar planes ? I am thinking along the lines of people having travel insurance which cover repatriation costs etc... I think they might, though I don't think any insurance company would be expected (or able to) to pay back the entire costs of these operations.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Sun, 16 Mar 2014 10:46 am

Your bill related concerns are strange. You already paid for all this. It goes from your income taxes in the respective countries taking part within the effort. It is like to expect somebody convicted to spent his life in prison should also pay for the maintenance of the prison and the whole system infrastructure. Some things are not accountable towards an individuals. These are national or international safety matters and nobody is going to foot any bill for it.

Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Post by Wd40 » Sun, 16 Mar 2014 11:08 am

The question is probably, which country foots the bill. My guess is, each country involved are doing this at their own cost. Malaysia is not expected to reimburse anyone.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Sun, 16 Mar 2014 11:31 am

x9200 wrote:I wonder what will be the response of the aviation safety authorities for all this.
Why it is possible in the first place to switch off from the cabin the transponder in a commercial airliner? Same question goes for the Acars systems.
I used to work for a ACMI company ...

the purpose of having the option to disable transponder, ACARS and all is part of safety measures in case one of those items malfunction and trigger a bigger fault ... or short leading to fire ...

the cockpit voice recorder also can be disabled while doing on the ground tests ... though more than a few airline crew have been caught messing it by ground running it when they said not-so-nice-stuff ...about their management and then realised what is being recorded... just running till the loop completes ...

x9200

Post by x9200 » Sun, 16 Mar 2014 11:58 am

What I understood from one of the papers linked above was that ACARS was not actually switched off but only the geo-position logging functions were disabled still leaving the device on but with no data streaming ("gsm-like logging to a cell").

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Sun, 16 Mar 2014 12:30 pm

x9200 wrote:What I understood from one of the papers linked above was that ACARS was not actually switched off but only the geo-position logging functions were disabled still leaving the device on but with no data streaming ("gsm-like logging to a cell").
plus a lawyer representing the passengers has accused MAS of not having subscribed to the suite of real-time data services as causing undue stress

if all airlines subscribe to all services .plus plus plus .... your flight ticket may cost twice ...

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Sun, 16 Mar 2014 1:37 pm

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/16/world ... t-370.html

Interesting graphic in the above article (which blasts Malaysia for being incompetent). Basically, the plane was somewhere on one of those dark red lines when it made its last contact with the satellite. The two marked areas around is are 20 minutes further, and 60 minutes further.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Sun, 16 Mar 2014 2:05 pm

Pity they did not show the earlier satellite blips arcs. It would make the whole picture more clear. Are the top and the bottom parts of the arc's perimeter drew based on the absolute maximum range with the given fuel left at the point of disappearance or the "hidden" route is already factored in?

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 16 Mar 2014 2:24 pm

zzm, here is an article that further breaks down the Satellite "pings" and how that infographic was obtained.

http://tmfassociates.com/blog/2014/03/1 ... ite-pings/
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

x9200

Post by x9200 » Sun, 16 Mar 2014 3:05 pm

I am still confused what happened to the earlier pings.

rdueej
Regular
Regular

Post by rdueej » Sun, 16 Mar 2014 4:01 pm

I think that this map is also quite interesting.

A list of runways satisfying the minimum runway requirement and within 2200 nautical miles of last location. http://project.wnyc.org/runways/ .

I did not expect so many dots there.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 16 Mar 2014 5:12 pm

But if you think about it, most of the countries north & west of the Andaman Sea have decent military radar, that pretty sure it would have been picked up as an intruder. Same goes with Australia. That cuts out probably 80% of those airfields.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

rdueej
Regular
Regular

Post by rdueej » Sun, 16 Mar 2014 5:34 pm

True. Also, I am not sure how many of those are actually capable of handling a 777 landing in low light conditions.

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Sun, 16 Mar 2014 7:21 pm

somebody on twitter found this old Malaysian Airlines Ad :lol: :lol:

To get there early is on time and showing up on time is late