Singapore Expats

Which is a better option - Sing PR or PEP? Please advise.

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
karnac

Which is a better option - Sing PR or PEP? Please advise.

Post by karnac » Tue, 11 Mar 2014 2:17 am

Dear Friends,

I am new to the forum and need your advice on the above matter.

Which of the two options is better?
a) Applying for Singapore PR, or
b) Applying for Personalised Employment Pass.

Here is a short summary to explain my current situation.

I am 30 years old, single, Indian national working for an american-european MNC in SG. I moved to Singapore in Feb 2012 after living approximately 7 years in Europe and joined the regional APAC team here in Singapore. I have recently renewed my Employment Pass (from Q1 to P1) and it is valid until Feb 2016. I work in the Telecommunications industry as a Regional (Technical) Project Manager. I hold a Master's degree from a reputed European University and did my undergraduate degree in India.

[u]PEP vs PR Dilemma[/u]

My IPA letter for EP Renewal stated, that I may be eligible to apply for Personalised Employement Pass as well but I didn#t apply. I consulted the ICA website for the latest PEP requirements in terms of salary and other requirements but sadly my currently salary hardly matches what is required for PEP. Also, I am led to believe, that I am sponsored employee from the European office so I may not be eligible for PEP.

So firstly, I am now confused, that why would my IPA letter would contain this information? Should I apply or not?

Secondly, I would like to apply for Singapore PR this year and trying to evaluate my chances of getting it. Will applying for PEP affect my PR application later or vice versa? Are my chances of getting a PR better than PEP?

I spoke to a couple of friends residing in Singapore - some have PR and others are holding PEP but I am not able to get a balanced opinion. Your advice is appreciated.

Regards,
Karna

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 11 Mar 2014 6:52 am

If your current basic salary doesn't exceed minimum requirements for PEP as stated on the MOM site, all other questions are moot. PEP will be out of the question. Therefore you only have one choice, other than remaining on the EP (which I recommend). Even then, unless you have submitted a least three Tax assessments here in Singapore, I wouldn't bother with applying for PR. Wait until you have been here for at least 2 & preferably 3 years before you apply. You IPA letter for renewal only say MAY BE. It did not say YOU ARE. Big difference. Unlike some other countries, not of the criteria you find on the MOM site is put there with the idea of giving you concrete answers. All the criteria listed is purely for qualification to apply for the rating. There is much, much more behind the scenes that can bust your chops and you will never know why. It's frustrating, but it's their ball park and their ball.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

karnac

Post by karnac » Wed, 12 Mar 2014 11:59 pm

Thank you for your prompt reply and my apologies for a late reply.

Last few days I was busy collecting all the necessary documents in order to calculate my chances of obtaining either of the two.

I checked my IPA and it says the following regarding PEP and I quote:
"The above-named person is also eligible for Personalized Employment Pass (PEP). However, he/she would have to submit an application for the PEP."

I also checked on the MOM website and they only mention minimum fixed salary i.e. basic + addons a month. Should I call MOM Work Pass Division and confirm my eligibility? What happens if I am on PEP and if I change jobs but salaries offered are lower than the minimum PEP requirements? Do I o back to an appropriate EP?

I understand the suggestion that I should have spent around 2-3 years before PR application. Actually, this is my third year running in SG and I will be filling tax for the 2nd year in the next days. The number of slots for PR might get filled soon and I am not keen on losing this opportunity if I stand a decent chance.

Sorry, but I slightly more confused. Thanks for your help.

Regards,
Karna

Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Post by Wd40 » Thu, 13 Mar 2014 12:59 am

Apply for PEP only if you job appears to be under threat and you want to stay in Singapore and search for a new job, in case of job loss. This flexibility is only for 3 years.

PR and PEP are not related, you could apply for PEP right away if you think that flexibility is worth it, in my opinion, if you are eligible(since you IPA says you are eligible, may be you are, but just incase go to the MoM site and check), might as well take it, I dont see anything to lose.

After finishing the PEP, you could apply for PR.

You are right in that, if you change jobs and the new job doesnt pay enough, then in the subsequent year you will need to move to an appropriate EP and the new company should be willing to sponsor it and MoM should be willing to grant it.

karnac

Post by karnac » Thu, 13 Mar 2014 1:21 am

Thanks Wd40.

I will give a call to MOM and hear what they have to say. I would like to have some indication that it is an ok step to take given the circumstances.

May I know your opinion on what are my chances of getting a PR if I apply now/this year?

Just to reiterate my present position :-

Indian national, 30 yrs old, single male
EP Status: P1
Moved from Europe to SG in Q1 2012 after working and living there close to 7 years.
Working for a MNC's regional office at manager level.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 13 Mar 2014 6:56 am

karnac wrote:Thanks Wd40.

I will give a call to MOM and hear what they have to say. I would like to have some indication that it is an ok step to take given the circumstances.

May I know your opinion on what are my chances of getting a PR if I apply now/this year?

Just to reiterate my present position :-

Indian national, 30 yrs old, single male
EP Status: P1
Moved from Europe to SG in Q1 2012 after working and living there close to 7 years.
Working for a MNC's regional office at manager level.
You have twice neglected to give us the pertinent information....
Foreigners who wish to work in Singapore can apply for the Personalised Employment Pass if they are:

Overseas foreign professional whose last drawn fixed monthly salary overseas was at least $18,000
The last drawn fixed monthly salary overseas should be no more than six months from the time of the application.

Employment Pass holders who earn a fixed monthly salary of at least $12,000

* The following groups of foreigners are not eligible for the PEP:

(i) foreigners who are issued with an Employment Pass under the Sponsorship scheme. Under this scheme, their direct employers are overseas companies which do not have a Singapore-registered office/business entity

(ii) foreigners who are working or intending to work on a free-lance basis without any direct employers in Singapore

(iii) foreigners who are listed as Sole Proprietors, Partners or Directors in a business/company registered with ACRA and are shareholders of that business/company

(iv) foreigners working as journalists, editors, sub-editors and producers.
Note: The PEP holder is not allowed to start his/her own business or engage in any entrepreneurial activities. The holder must apply for an EntrePass if he/she intends to do so.
Regaradless of what the letter might say, if you do not meet the new PEP Criteria, you are wasting you time. A phone call to MOM might be a good idea but unless your income meets the minimum criteria, all bets are off.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Post by Wd40 » Thu, 13 Mar 2014 6:56 am

Its hard to say whether you will get it or not. Read other threads here about "Indian PRs". Having said that your profile is a standout, so may be worth trying. Anyways, the worst case is they might reject you and you can always apply again for completing 3 years.