Singapore Expats

Wife want's to change her name on Passport and DP

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:

Utrust Immigration
Rambutan2000

Wife want's to change her name on Passport and DP

Post by Rambutan2000 » Tue, 04 Mar 2014 4:57 pm

Hi all! My wife and I have been living in Singas for about 8 months now, we got married just before we moved over.

To make it easier at the time my wife didn't change her name so all her IDs from Canada are in her maiden name including her passport (and DP card).

Now she wants to change her name on her passport and DP card but we've run into a chicken-before-the-egg situation.

The Canadian consulate says they need an picture ID with her new name and MOM won't change the DP name until her passport is changed.

Has anyone been in this situation?

Thanks in advance!

G

Hannieroo
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Hannieroo » Tue, 04 Mar 2014 7:16 pm

Are you sure? Normally a form and your marriage certificate does it. I wod make an appointment.

Hannieroo
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Hannieroo » Tue, 04 Mar 2014 7:20 pm

I googled. Dude, they want all sorts!

I would change my driver's license in my home country then apply or just leave it for now.

taxico
Director
Director

Re: Wife want's to change her name on Passport and DP

Post by taxico » Tue, 04 Mar 2014 9:07 pm

Rambutan2000 wrote:...Now she wants to change her name on her passport and DP card but we've run into a chicken-before-the-egg situation.

The Canadian consulate says they need an picture ID with her new name and MOM won't change the DP name until her passport is changed.
to change your name in singapore, on local IDs, you need to produce a deed if you don't have it reflected on any other official foreign documents.

it's probably cheaper to fill out the form back home and get your passport/driver license re-issued back home before doing it here... (?)
Aut viam ad caelum inveniam aut faciam

FaeLLe
Chatter
Chatter

Post by FaeLLe » Mon, 10 Mar 2014 7:17 pm

Looks like you need to get a proof of ID in your new name first.
The usual process of Affidavit will not work.

http://www.passport.gc.ca/info/section1.aspx?lang=eng