Singapore Expats

SG spouse freaked on arrival, I need friendly ears

New here? Don't be shy. Introduce yourself here and expand your social network!
ugh

SG spouse freaked on arrival, I need friendly ears

Post by ugh » Sun, 09 Mar 2014 10:40 am

This verges on airing dirty laundry but as a newly arrived ex-pat I don't have any local contacts to whom it's appropriate to sob over my relationship. I'm met with nearly unrecognizable behavior at home and a strangely combative attitude. I get it, it's scary to move home after years away, and yes, we're trying to work through it all together. But I also need friends I can unload on over a beer and who might provide a sanity check. Will gladly listen to your woes in return. I don't have a history of letting my personal problems surface in the first hour of a friendship, but it's time for an exception.

Tanuki
Regular
Regular

Re: SG spouse freaked on arrival, I need friendly ears

Post by Tanuki » Sun, 09 Mar 2014 11:56 am

ugh wrote:This verges on airing dirty laundry but as a newly arrived ex-pat I don't have any local contacts to whom it's appropriate to sob over my relationship. I'm met with nearly unrecognizable behavior at home and a strangely combative attitude. I get it, it's scary to move home after years away, and yes, we're trying to work through it all together. But I also need friends I can unload on over a beer and who might provide a sanity check. Will gladly listen to your woes in return. I don't have a history of letting my personal problems surface in the first hour of a friendship, but it's time for an exception.
I've seen some similar things before. Can't say that I'd have any answers but would be willing to let you vent over a cold one or 2. You may find that you answer your own questions after a bit... :D

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 09 Mar 2014 12:12 pm

Ugh,

If you are an LP member then you will have to let the other members of this board know so they will know what you are dealing with. Otherwise, you may find any information skewed as there are different dynamics in play here than there are in the US.

SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Sun, 09 Mar 2014 3:24 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Ugh,

If you are an LP member then you will have to let the other members of this board know so they will know what you are dealing with. Otherwise, you may find any information skewed as there are different dynamics in play here than there are in the US.

What's LP? Long Penis?

My take on your issues OP, is that your partner feels more confident on their home territory and is asserting themselves in a way they could not when they were in a strange country.

ca5an0va

Post by ca5an0va » Mon, 10 Mar 2014 5:29 pm

I feel you its like getting up every morning at 5:30 and commute an hour and a half to some BS job where my boss expects me to kiss her puzz all day just so I can keep my ungrateful screaming kids decked out in Dora the Explora sh!t and my wife up to her fat ass in self-help videos until the day I get up enough courage to put a shot gun in my mouth!
"Humor Me!"

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Tue, 11 Mar 2014 8:53 am

ca5an0va wrote:I feel you its like getting up every morning at 5:30 and commute an hour and a half to some BS job where my boss expects me to kiss her puzz all day just so I can keep my ungrateful screaming kids decked out in Dora the Explora sh!t and my wife up to her fat ass in self-help videos until the day I get up enough courage to put a shot gun in my mouth!
Wait, you have a wife?!

ca5an0va

Post by ca5an0va » Tue, 11 Mar 2014 9:56 am

the lynx wrote:
ca5an0va wrote:I feel you its like getting up every morning at 5:30 and commute an hour and a half to some BS job where my boss expects me to kiss her puzz all day just so I can keep my ungrateful screaming kids decked out in Dora the Explora sh!t and my wife up to her fat ass in self-help videos until the day I get up enough courage to put a shot gun in my mouth!
Wait, you have a wife?!

by wife you mean a hooker?! or you asking me if i have any regrets? answer is YES!
"Humor Me!"

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Tue, 11 Mar 2014 10:01 am

ca5an0va wrote:
the lynx wrote:
Wait, you have a wife?!

by wife you mean a hooker?! or you asking me if i have any regrets? answer is YES!
Well you mentioned up there about ungrateful screaming kids and fat ass wife, so I take your words literally, hence my question.

And you have always responded to females' threads in social sub-forum, with a name like ca5an0va, one could only wonder...

Nevertheless sorry to hear about your family life, dude. Hope good things happen to you.

Girl_Next_Door
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Girl_Next_Door » Tue, 11 Mar 2014 10:28 am

I think your wife would need a few good friends as well. If she is working, hopefully she have a few colleagues with listening and reassuring ears. I have a colleague who relocates to Singapore with her husband, and it had been an extremely tough year. Without family support and an infant in tow, it was very challenging for her to cope. She had also been very unlucky with maids, so its only disaster after disaster.

If your wife needs someone to talk to, you can reach out to me. I am happy to talk to your wife, and help her understand the culture here, a bit more. :)

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Tue, 11 Mar 2014 10:59 am

All life is choice. You are choosing to stay. You could chose to leave.

Fortan
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Fortan » Tue, 11 Mar 2014 11:09 am

PNGMK wrote:
+1.... if it is that bad, just move on. Life is short, no reason to cling onto something that is not worth it - just saying!

pisceangirl
Chatter
Chatter

Post by pisceangirl » Tue, 11 Mar 2014 1:30 pm

PNGMK wrote:
Or you could choose to be a Casanova, although that doesn't really address the real issue. Choices...
Don't get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am, my attitude depends on who you are. (Tupac)

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 11 Mar 2014 1:49 pm

looks like the OP decided not to stick around. Guess they didn't want to reveal any more information to the crowd. Guess they expected us to be mind readers and didn't want to divulge any more than necessary. Hope they'll be okay and get their differences sorted.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Tue, 11 Mar 2014 3:36 pm

OP's other half may have discovered OT or Geyland or heaven help us, Flanders Square (where only the seriously broke go for a root - have a look there one afternoon along the back of the row of shop houses).

Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Post by Wd40 » Tue, 11 Mar 2014 4:06 pm

PNGMK, You know Singapore inside out :)