Singapore Expats

Taxi Hustle

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
ohmz52
Regular
Regular

Taxi Hustle

Post by ohmz52 » Wed, 26 Feb 2014 8:33 pm

Hey

I got a cab from Holland Village to Orchard Road and the meter read 7.38.
The driver pressed another button and it then read 10.20, I paid the latter as requested.

Is this normal or did I get hustled?

I got it from a taxi stand at 19:30.

Cheers
O
The grass is greener on the other side.

Hannieroo
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Hannieroo » Wed, 26 Feb 2014 8:47 pm

Peak time is always 25% extra plus if you went under an ERP then you get charged for that too. It's strict here and the machines to monitor and add the surcharges at the end.

ohmz52
Regular
Regular

Post by ohmz52 » Wed, 26 Feb 2014 9:11 pm

Aaa I see

So 1930 is peak time?

Thanks

Hannieroo
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Hannieroo » Wed, 26 Feb 2014 9:40 pm

I think it's 7 until 9 in the morning, 6pm until 12 am and after 12 is even more expensive. Plus certain pick ups have an extra charge too.

ohmz52
Regular
Regular

Post by ohmz52 » Wed, 26 Feb 2014 9:41 pm

Thanks very much for that.
That explains the cost :)

taxico
Director
Director

Post by taxico » Wed, 26 Feb 2014 9:52 pm

request for a receipt when in doubt. all cabs can issue an electronic (instant) receipt print out stating what you're paying for, failing which they MUST issue a hand written receipt (detailing the same, i believe).

so if you've been charged wrongly, the cabbie will tell you to pay a few $ less at this point.
Aut viam ad caelum inveniam aut faciam

ohmz52
Regular
Regular

Post by ohmz52 » Wed, 26 Feb 2014 11:20 pm

The chap did ask if I wanted a receipt.

Good idea actually - thank you sir

triste
Regular
Regular

Post by triste » Thu, 27 Feb 2014 1:26 am

If you want to avoid being ripped off, you really need to look up your route in advance and tell the driver exactly what route to follow, and pay attention or some will take the "scenic route". I know that sounds ridiculous, but I have had cab drivers "miss" the exit or turn, then drive around aimlessly to run up the fare. I have also had a driver take me on a longer route or on the freeway during rush hour when I forgot to specify which route I wanted. Of course not all cab drivers will rip you off, some are very nice, but I have had enough instances of this type of thing that I check my route out in advance and keep my eyes on the road now.

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Thu, 27 Feb 2014 3:04 am

All about taxi fees and rates.

http://www.taxisingapore.com/taxi-fare/

x9200

Post by x9200 » Thu, 27 Feb 2014 7:14 am

triste wrote:If you want to avoid being ripped off, you really need to look up your route in advance and tell the driver exactly what route to follow, and pay attention or some will take the "scenic route". I know that sounds ridiculous, but I have had cab drivers "miss" the exit or turn, then drive around aimlessly to run up the fare. I have also had a driver take me on a longer route or on the freeway during rush hour when I forgot to specify which route I wanted. Of course not all cab drivers will rip you off, some are very nice, but I have had enough instances of this type of thing that I check my route out in advance and keep my eyes on the road now.
Majority of situations like this is not because they want to rip you off but because they don't know where to go. Of course not so many would admit it and even less admit to a mistake.

Max Headroom
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 1

Post by Max Headroom » Thu, 27 Feb 2014 8:11 am

I used to be suspicious about that button some cabbies press at the end of the ride, thought it may be a bit of taxi sleight-of-hand going on. But what they're actually doing is totaling the regular fare and all surcharges into one sum, so the final fare is displayed on the reader.

nutnut
Manager
Manager

Post by nutnut » Thu, 27 Feb 2014 10:31 am

Depending on the taxi company, some of the meters also add ERP (Electronic Road Pricing - tolls) at the end of the trip too, as said above, it looks like they are pressing something to make it cost more, but, in reality, it adds up all the surcharges (as per the link from SE) the ERP (from the unit attached to the windscreen) and the normal metered fare.

I have had taxis where the "fare" is $10 and the total ends up being $20 before, it's very normal.
nutnut

Barnsley
Manager
Manager

Post by Barnsley » Thu, 27 Feb 2014 11:17 am

My Taxi fare is always Meter + Surcharge (if there is a surcharge) .......

Its on the display at the front of cab, not sure what the confusion is?

Simple maths ... add two values together and hey presto there is your fee.

I don't think I have ever had the above not be the case.
Life is short, paddle harder!!

nutnut
Manager
Manager

Post by nutnut » Thu, 27 Feb 2014 12:46 pm

I remember in my old town in the UK, the surcharge was never used, so when it was you always questioned it.
nutnut

NorrinRadd
Regular
Regular

Post by NorrinRadd » Sat, 08 Mar 2014 9:41 am

Max Headroom wrote:I used to be suspicious about that button some cabbies press at the end of the ride, thought it may be a bit of taxi sleight-of-hand going on. But what they're actually doing is totaling the regular fare and all surcharges into one sum, so the final fare is displayed on the reader.
Yeah but watch for the pause to press the damn button. Or the slowed approach to a full stop. Anything to drive up the fare. for the next meter tick. Happens more than 50% of the time in my experience.

Guess that extra $.50 is important enough to kill any good will. And nix one of a potential tip.