Singapore Expats

Anyone got laid off an investment bank in Singapore?

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
Utsav

Anyone got laid off an investment bank in Singapore?

Post by Utsav » Wed, 05 Mar 2014 7:43 pm

I work in an I bank in Singapore and fear I'm about to be laid off. I work in product control /risk and bank is moving jobs to cheaper destinations.
My employment contract doesn't specify a notice period.
Anyone else had a similar experience?How long did your notice period last? I'm on an Employment pass.

Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Post by Wd40 » Wed, 05 Mar 2014 8:04 pm

That is wierd! Are you a permanent employees? Read your contract again. There has to be something written related to termination of employment. While signing the offer letter, didn't you ask your HR what the notice period is?

If you are a permanent employee in a major IB, you will also get severance on top of the notice period. My bank gives 3 weeks salary for every year worked. The british bank that starts with B gives 1 month salary for every year worked. The severance isnt written in your contract btw, its company's policy.

BillyB
Manager
Manager

Post by BillyB » Thu, 06 Mar 2014 11:21 am

Are you sure your contract doesn't specify a notice period? Not heard of that before!

AngMoG
Reporter
Reporter

Post by AngMoG » Fri, 07 Mar 2014 1:41 pm

If there's nothing in the contract, the min notice period by law applies. I believe it is two weeks.

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Fri, 07 Mar 2014 1:44 pm

AngMoG wrote:If there's nothing in the contract, the min notice period by law applies. I believe it is two weeks.
Only for those under Employment Act though. I think to be covered, one must earn below SGD4,500.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Fri, 07 Mar 2014 7:20 pm

BillyB wrote:Are you sure your contract doesn't specify a notice period? Not heard of that before!
all permanent jobs quote 1 month notice for junior staff and 2 to 3 months for manager level and above ...

never heard of no notice period unless it is contract and it is ending soon ...