Singapore Expats

How often do you engage your child with cooking preparations

Discuss about childcare, parenthood, playschools, educational, family & international school issues.

Sponsored by:

Canadian International School
charrlotte

How often do you engage your child with cooking preparations

Post by charrlotte » Thu, 06 Mar 2014 4:49 pm

Hi, i am charlotte a mother of 2 ( age 5 and 7 ) . I have been debating with myself on whether i should let my child to enter the kitchen to assist me with the preparation of daily meals.

I would like to hear your views about whether or not to have a child to assist in the preparation process, and it would be awesome if you have experienced cooking with your child do share with me the dangers and trouble you encounter so i can gear up for the process ! so please do share !

Update
Hey guys thanks so much for your feedback ! I tried cooking with my kids yesterday, and they seem to lose their attention really easily. Any of you faces the same problems with your child? or is there any other problems you faced during the process e.g getting them organized ? lastly ! Do you usually encourage your child to stand or seat while assisting?
Last edited by charrlotte on Sat, 08 Mar 2014 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Re: How often do you engage your child with cooking preparat

Post by the lynx » Thu, 06 Mar 2014 5:10 pm

charrlotte wrote:Hi, i am charlotte a mother of 2 ( age 5 and 7 ) . I have been debating with myself on whether i should let my child to enter the kitchen to assist me with the preparation of daily meals.

I would like to hear your views about whether or not to have a child to assist in the preparation process, and it would be awesome if you have experienced cooking with your child do share with me the dangers and trouble you encounter so i can gear up for the process ! so please do share !
According to this, your child can start peeling potatoes and carrots at age 6-7.

QRM
Manager
Manager

Post by QRM » Thu, 06 Mar 2014 5:26 pm

All the time she even goes shopping for ingredients to make a family salad.

Shes been helping me bake cakes since she was 5.

They have been doing cooking at school since nursery, just have to be smart about it , keeping away from ovens, boiling water and NEVER ever leave her alone in the kitchen.

Fill a pan with golfballs and leave it on the cooker with the handle facing outwards ( something you should never do) and tell her a story about a girl who got badly burnt when she reached up to pull the pan handle, and get her to do it and watch all the golf balls tumble onto her.

She has a coloured set of knives she can use ( not so sharp but enough to cut fruits, mushrooms etc.) there are plenty of kids cook books on the market and you can make fun things, bear pizza, dino cakes etc.

Sprog is also learning about growing herbs, Basil, Parsley, rosemary etc and pineapples so she can see the connection with the garden and what we eat.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Thu, 06 Mar 2014 5:58 pm

Our 3yo sits on the kitchen floor and helps to disassemble/free the veggies from rubber bands and such. If (s)he likes it and the kitchen is safe for her/him, why not?

jk21
Regular
Regular

Post by jk21 » Thu, 06 Mar 2014 8:13 pm

Boxed cake mixes. Child can read 'recipe', measure water, tell me when to stop pouring oil, pour in dry mix, stir, etc.

Need multiple cups of dry ingredient...rice, flour, etc. great kid job. You may have to pour ingredient in bowl to scoop from.

Proud to assemble own cold deli sandwich.

Run blender under supervision when making smoothies from frozen bananas.

Bit by bit both you and child will get more comfortable with it.

Enjoy.

beppi
Manager
Manager

Post by beppi » Fri, 07 Mar 2014 4:37 pm

Our girl loved to "help" in the kitchen so much that I bought her her own Ikea "Duktig" kichen at 1.5 years old. Now (3 years later) she still loves it and also baking cookies and cake (flour is a wonderful toy, if we didn't have to clean up so much afterwards ...) and other things in the real kitchen.