Singapore Expats

Angry locals

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
martincymru
Reporter
Reporter

Post by martincymru » Fri, 21 Feb 2014 1:57 pm

3rd richest nation in world per capita.
They are so unhappy 'ços of worrying what to spend all that money on.

//
Any stats here on expats? viz
Which nationality has increased/decreased in number in past 10 years and salary levels across various professions?
(nowt to do with OP's question - sorry)

Fortan
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Fortan » Fri, 21 Feb 2014 2:10 pm

Thatguy wrote: - Girls all look the same: no make up, straight black hair, one piece dresses, no heels
-
Take it you don't work around the CBD? :shock:

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 21 Feb 2014 2:18 pm

Was thinking the same thing. :???:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

meklavier

Post by meklavier » Thu, 27 Feb 2014 11:52 am

Thatguy wrote: - Girls all look the same: no make up, straight black hair, one piece dresses, no heels
Not true for Raffles Place Girl. You should try working at Raffles Place

Fortan
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Fortan » Thu, 27 Feb 2014 12:03 pm

Perhaps Thatguy works out in Tuas. I used to work out there - not much to excite there :D

Mexikaner
Regular
Regular

Post by Mexikaner » Thu, 27 Feb 2014 5:08 pm

^^Sadly but true...I work in Tuas...sigh
"Lebe deinen Traum"

stuckmojo
Regular
Regular

Post by stuckmojo » Wed, 05 Mar 2014 11:34 am

as an aside, I'm just coming back from Milan, where I grew up, and I had the confirmation that compared to Northern Italians, Singaporeans seem not just happy, but ecstatic.

Seriously, the Milan Central Train station is probably the most depressing place on earth.

This is to say that due to my cultural bias I find Singaporeans not too bad. If anything, you just need to be a bit outgoing and smile and joke a bit and they'll smile back. It happens to me.

Try that in Torino or Milan and they'll probably tell you to XXXk off. Mostly in Paris too.

Barnsley
Manager
Manager

Post by Barnsley » Wed, 05 Mar 2014 12:06 pm

stuckmojo wrote:as an aside, I'm just coming back from Milan, where I grew up, and I had the confirmation that compared to Northern Italians, Singaporeans seem not just happy, but ecstatic.

Seriously, the Milan Central Train station is probably the most depressing place on earth.

This is to say that due to my cultural bias I find Singaporeans not too bad. If anything, you just need to be a bit outgoing and smile and joke a bit and they'll smile back. It happens to me.

Try that in Torino or Milan and they'll probably tell you to XXXk off. Mostly in Paris too.
:D :D :D
Life is short, paddle harder!!

bgd
Manager
Manager

Post by bgd » Wed, 05 Mar 2014 1:36 pm

stuckmojo wrote: Seriously, the Milan Central Train station is probably the most depressing place on earth.
You haven't been to Slough :D

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Wed, 05 Mar 2014 1:51 pm

My Observations:

1.The NE line at 7:30 am resembles a mourning ceremony,

2.Neighbour#1 who always smiles, his wife however never smiles , not once in 2 years that I've lived there has she even said a hello.

3. Neighbour#2: family of 6 people and 3 dogs and a maid. dogs says hello, so does maid and 1 out of that 6 smiles, 5 out 6 people in that house pretend I'm made of transparent plastic

4. Neighbour#3: closes the door whenever someone walks by in the corridor, I've seen 3-4 different people and they are never the same people who live there, I've therefore concluded this is a family of shape shifters.

5. Elevator inhabitants say hello if prompted, almost never hold doors for others, and turn their backs to you

6. I go running often, in the last 2 years I've managed to chat up with 1 runner, there are dozens of people frequenting the place, but they never talk or smile at you even though you see them day in and day out.

All this is definitely signs of a society that doesn't seem to be too happy.
To get there early is on time and showing up on time is late

local lad
Chatter
Chatter

Post by local lad » Thu, 06 Mar 2014 10:59 am

I cannot speak for all but the following is my opinion:conservative asians usually keep to themselves and find it awkward to smile to a total stranger. If that total stranger starts a conversation, it would definitely get a blank stare or a one-two word syllabus . Most of the time locals are emotionless amongst strangers until they know them well through social gatherings.

QRM
Manager
Manager

Post by QRM » Thu, 06 Mar 2014 11:51 am

local lad wrote:conservative asians usually keep to themselves ....
On that note the other day i received my first parking ticket ( not bad after 8 years) Sure i parked illegally but it was right in front of a restaurant with outside tables on a wide quiet side street, people eating at the table saw me park and walk into the restaurant with the family.

Just as I was leaving the traffic warden was already there giving out the tickets, Anyway what irks me was not a single person stood up to try and warn me or others that a warden was handing out tickets.

If I was eating outside and saw what was happening I would rush in to the restaurant and warn fellow diners to watch out for the warden. They all just had blank looks on their face.

A very sad state of affairs there was letter in the local rag. A building is restricting washing down of the communal area to help save water, a blokes writes in rather than commend the management on being very civic minded he asks for a refund on his service fees as they are not using so much water. God help this place if there really was a serious crisis.

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Thu, 06 Mar 2014 11:44 pm

QRM wrote:
On that note the other day i received my first parking ticket ( not bad after 8 years) Sure i parked illegally but it was right in front of a restaurant with outside tables on a wide quiet side street, people eating at the table saw me park and walk into the restaurant with the family.

Just as I was leaving the traffic warden was already there giving out the tickets, Anyway what irks me was not a single person stood up to try and warn me or others that a warden was handing out tickets.

If I was eating outside and saw what was happening I would rush in to the restaurant and warn fellow diners to watch out for the warden. They all just had blank looks on their face.

A very sad state of affairs there was letter in the local rag. A building is restricting washing down of the communal area to help save water, a blokes writes in rather than commend the management on being very civic minded he asks for a refund on his service fees as they are not using so much water. God help this place if there really was a serious crisis.

I've had the exact opposite experience. Illegally parked and the waitress and at least a couple of patrons came running to warn me (and others also illegally parked) as soon as they saw the traffic warden driving up.

Barnsley
Manager
Manager

Post by Barnsley » Fri, 07 Mar 2014 10:05 am

Strong Eagle wrote:
QRM wrote:

I've had the exact opposite experience. Illegally parked and the waitress and at least a couple of patrons came running to warn me (and others also illegally parked) as soon as they saw the traffic warden driving up.
They wanted your parking space so told you the traffic warden was coming :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:
Life is short, paddle harder!!

QRM
Manager
Manager

Post by QRM » Fri, 07 Mar 2014 10:15 am

A mate said is was because of the anton casey fallout, they see an expat who blatantly disregards SG rules, ( they all had to park properly) deserve to get a ticket and someone probably called LTA!!