Singapore Expats

Military displaying guns at airport

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
BedokAmerican
Chatter
Chatter

Military displaying guns at airport

Post by BedokAmerican » Thu, 06 Mar 2014 2:11 pm

At Changi Airport yesterday inside Terminal 1 Departure Hall, I saw three members of the Singapore military walking in formation displaying their guns (long guns, maybe rifles, held upright and slightly slanted) instead of having the weapons in holsters.

There were two men wearing green camouflage walking next to one another and the third wearing blue camouflage walking behind them. It was as if they intentionally formed a backward-shaped triangle.

I don't recall seeing this in the past when I've been to the airport, although I don't go to the airport on a regular basis. Also, I'm not saying there's anything wrong with this, I just want to know what's going on. I didn't approach them and ask because they seemed too serious.

Anybody have any idea what this could have been? Or is this normal?

ScoobyDoes
Manager
Manager

Post by ScoobyDoes » Thu, 06 Mar 2014 2:18 pm

You mean is it normal to see the military at the airport (yes, it is) or do you mean is it normal they were walking like they did whilst holding rifles (which, by the sounds of it, maybe not?

It is normal to see them with guns held out front, pointing a bit towards the ground.
'When Lewis Hamilton wins a race he has to thank Vodafone whereas in my day I used to chase the crumpet. I know which era I'd rather race in.'

SIR Stirling Moss OBE

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 06 Mar 2014 2:53 pm

Using the new lightweight assault weapons they are usually on short single point slings which keep them about chest height for more rapid aiming as they can be pivoted on the single point instead of unslinging or changing the slinging position, lifting up the rifle and then aiming.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

BedokAmerican
Chatter
Chatter

Post by BedokAmerican » Thu, 06 Mar 2014 4:01 pm

ScoobyDoes wrote:You mean is it normal to see the military at the airport (yes, it is) or do you mean is it normal they were walking like they did whilst holding rifles (which, by the sounds of it, maybe not?

It is normal to see them with guns held out front, pointing a bit towards the ground.
ScoobyDoes, Presence at the airport isn't a big deal. I was just wondering why they were carrying upholstered weapons and walking in formation.

SMS, That would make perfect sense if Singapore was under threat, but it's not. Do they always do that at the airport? When I've seen military elsewhere in Sg, I don't recall them walking in formation and holding weapons at chest height.

taxico
Director
Director

Post by taxico » Thu, 06 Mar 2014 4:20 pm

BedokAmerican wrote:
ScoobyDoes wrote:You mean is it normal to see the military at the airport (yes, it is) or do you mean is it normal they were walking like they did whilst holding rifles (which, by the sounds of it, maybe not?

ScoobyDoes, Presence at the airport isn't a big deal. I was just wondering why they were carrying upholstered weapons and walking in formation.

SMS, That would make perfect sense if Singapore was under threat, but it's not. Do they always do that at the airport? When I've seen military elsewhere in Sg, I don't recall them walking in formation and holding weapons at chest height.
because they (police & SAF KINS units) are on patrol.

not just at changi airport, but other key installations like jurong island and sembawang shipyard... since 9/11.

they have GMPG mounted trucks on patrol in jurong island!
Aut viam ad caelum inveniam aut faciam

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 06 Mar 2014 5:22 pm

taxico is right. They've been doing formations of three or four carrying assault weapons for quite some time (I would assume since 911 as well). Heck, They were carrying weapons in Taiwan way back in '82 when I first came here through Taiwan. I think today, more and more are doing so just to be on the safe side.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 06 Mar 2014 5:32 pm

BedokAmerican wrote:I was just wondering why they were carrying upholstered weapons and walking in formation.
Neat, were the stocks or pistol grips pleated or quilted? Or were they leather sheathed? :P

Just havin' a bit of a laugh at "upholstered" weapons. I'm pretty sure you actually meant unholstered or preferably drawn or weapons at the ready. :wink:

scarbowl
Chatter
Chatter

Post by scarbowl » Thu, 06 Mar 2014 9:23 pm

i've seen them patrolling around Holland Village and once out near the Causeway. Red berets and weapons at the ready.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Thu, 06 Mar 2014 10:22 pm

I don't mind them... usually.... except when I end up in the potential crossfire of a group of them (as happened once). I'm much more nervous about soldiers carrying shotguns... wider swathe of potential damage and hence harder to avoid. Although distance can help.

bgd
Manager
Manager

Post by bgd » Thu, 06 Mar 2014 10:44 pm

Seen that formation on Boat Quay. Many times at the airport.

Sambivalent

Post by Sambivalent » Thu, 06 Mar 2014 11:58 pm

Yep, it's perfectly normal as others have stated above. Just a way of keeping up appearances post-9/11.

The guy in blue is from the Singapore Police Force, not the military. The formation varies from time to time, but it's generally always a triangle. Just a way of moving from point to point more professionally (they are patrolling, after all). As for holsters, I believe there has never been a holster for assault rifles issued to our soldiers. The rifle is held at chest height because the rifle sling is shortened till the rifle hugs the body, effectively taking all the weight off one's hands.

Source: Worked in the airport and also served in the SAF (citizen).

@scarbowl: Were the red berets you mentioned dressed in green or black/blue? I'm quite puzzled by the fact that any of our red beret units would be doing patrolling.

@PNGMK: Potential crossfire? Do share. You can rest easy on the shotgun issue though. A shotgun is reserved for usage on doors and locks in the military, not humans.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Fri, 07 Mar 2014 8:02 am

I've seen them patrol in Changi multiple times. Military in green, not police in blue. Weapons out and ready. I've also seen this in HKG multiple times.

In fact, here's a photo I snapped once. January 19th, 2014 at 3:20pm per the EXIF.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Fri, 07 Mar 2014 8:05 am

Sambivalent wrote:
@PNGMK: Potential crossfire? Do share. You can rest easy on the shotgun issue though. A shotgun is reserved for usage on doors and locks in the military, not humans.
I've seen Ghurkas (I believe? They had the cool hats) carrying shotguns I thought on patrol outside of Paya Lebar MRT.

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Fri, 07 Mar 2014 8:52 am

Sambivalent wrote:@scarbowl: Were the red berets you mentioned dressed in green or black/blue? I'm quite puzzled by the fact that any of our red beret units would be doing patrolling.
I don't remember red berets (I recall grey or blue berets though) but I certainly remember the red trucks parked opposite Holland Village. That's the anti-riot SOC (PTU?) unit IIRC.

Is this the one?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Police_Tac ... Singapore)

taxico
Director
Director

Post by taxico » Fri, 07 Mar 2014 10:11 am

Aut viam ad caelum inveniam aut faciam