Singapore Expats

Will UK electronics work in Singapore?

Discuss about computers & Internet. Including mobile phones, home appliances & other gadgets. Read about Windows security risks or virus updates.
jmee

Will UK electronics work in Singapore?

Post by jmee » Tue, 04 Mar 2014 10:43 pm

I want to bring a curling iron (Babyliss ProCurl automatic curling iron) from the UK to use while vacationing in Singapore. Besides possibly needing an outlet adapter, should it work OK? I read online that the voltage/hertz was the same, but I know you can't always trust the internet.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 04 Mar 2014 11:00 pm

All your electrical and electronic devices will work in Singapore. You don't even have to change the three pin plugs as they are the same as well.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

jmee

Post by jmee » Tue, 04 Mar 2014 11:09 pm

Awesome! Thanks a lot for the quick response! :D

bgd
Manager
Manager

Post by bgd » Wed, 05 Mar 2014 7:35 am

Why is this Internet more trust worthy than the other Internet? :?

:wink:

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Wed, 05 Mar 2014 10:08 am

bgd wrote:Why is this Internet more trust worthy than the other Internet? :?

This internet has straighter ones and rounder zeroes. This makes them flow better on wires/cables leading to better quality internet.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Wed, 05 Mar 2014 1:01 pm

As I said about Indian electronics... they'll stand around smoking and grumbling but eventually will work.

jmee

Post by jmee » Wed, 05 Mar 2014 2:29 pm

bgd wrote:Why is this Internet more trust worthy than the other Internet? :?

Ah, what I meant is asking if actual people living in Singapore if UK electronics work there that know for sure (albeit through the internet) is more reliable than a third party website that lists that both voltages are supposed to be the same. ;)

nutnut
Manager
Manager

Post by nutnut » Wed, 05 Mar 2014 3:06 pm

They will work, but, there is something you must know about the telly's new capability. They will be far less capable since the tv programming in Singapore SUCKS!

Starhub is about the best you will get and even when you spend $100 a month on that it's still pretty dire, when you get here, get a decent fibre connection from ViewQwest or MyRepublic (the speeds are awesome) and get a Netflix and Hulu account.

Other than that, everything else will be fine.
nutnut

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Wed, 05 Mar 2014 3:14 pm

PNGMK wrote:As I said about Indian electronics... they'll stand around smoking and grumbling but eventually will work.
I did the reverse I took a coffee maker and a tv back to India and it works great too. I'm guessing most electrical goods have some amount of tolerance to minor variations in current,voltage and frequencies.

In the early 80's -90's it was not uncommon for the power to fail into single phase and the voltage would drop to 180v :-| and I've seen tv's back home able to tolerate those low levels somehow.
To get there early is on time and showing up on time is late

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Wed, 05 Mar 2014 4:43 pm

rajagainstthemachine wrote:
PNGMK wrote:As I said about Indian electronics... they'll stand around smoking and grumbling but eventually will work.
I did the reverse I took a coffee maker and a tv back to India and it works great too. I'm guessing most electrical goods have some amount of tolerance to minor variations in current,voltage and frequencies.

In the early 80's -90's it was not uncommon for the power to fail into single phase and the voltage would drop to 180v :-| and I've seen tv's back home able to tolerate those low levels somehow.
Your irony/sarcasm gene is broken as well.

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Wed, 05 Mar 2014 5:24 pm

PNGMK wrote:
rajagainstthemachine wrote:

Your irony/sarcasm gene is broken as well.
haha sorry man didn't see that one coming! I was distracted at work... That's my excuse :p
To get there early is on time and showing up on time is late