Singapore Expats

No Episiotomy?

Discuss the various Pediatrician, Obstetrician & Gynaecologist options here.

When you gave birth in Singapore, did you have an episiotomy?

No.
33%
Yes, and that was fine by me.
33%
Yes. The doc gave me the choice and I said yes.
17%
Yes. I was consulted but felt pressured or coerced.
No votes
Yes. I didn't feel like I had a choice. The doctor made that call.
17%
No, but I had a C-section.
No votes

Total votes: 6

chococat

No Episiotomy?

Post by chococat » Thu, 21 Apr 2011 12:46 am

Sorry to get into the blood and guts...but can anyone who has delivered in Singapore give me some info on whether you had one, whether it was in your birth plan, whether the doctor pushed it, etc?

I know a lot of women don't care and don't mind episiotomies bc they speed up delivery...but for some reason it is a big deal to me and I'd like to know what to expect here...what is the norm?

With my first child I did not need an episiotomy. And I didn't tear, either. My doctor and the delivery nurse just took things slow and easy and let nature take its course (well, with a little help from a heavenly epidural, that is.)

But now that I'm getting ready to deliver in Singapore, I'd like to hear from other expat moms; what was your experience? I am definitely trying to avoid one again this time, but don't have enough mom friends to get a good sense of how things usually go down here.

I swear...it was bad enough hearing episiotomy horror stories back home in the United States ("she didn't even tell me what she was doing til she'd already done it...") in supposedly excellent hospitals, no less.

chococat

found some info, lah!

Post by chococat » Thu, 21 Apr 2011 1:45 am

http://sg.theasianparent.com/articles/e ... singapore/

"Episiotomy in Singapore"
2009 The Asian Parent

95% of Singaporeans have episiotomies
9.7% in Sweden
100% in Taiwan
63-90% China, Spain, South Africa, and Turkey

"According to doctors ...episiotomy rates are so high because distance between the vagina and the perineum is shorter in Asian women"

lavendar

Post by lavendar » Sun, 08 May 2011 12:03 am

Endure without it for almost 12 hours and use it for the last 3 hours.

Sandily

Any feedback after your baby's delivery?

Post by Sandily » Wed, 05 Mar 2014 12:35 am

Hello chococat,
I will be delivering my first baby in Singapore and, like you, episiotomy is a big concern for me and just found your post while looking for some advice on hospitals and obstetricians. If you have any feedback to share, I would really appreciate it. Could be here, on PM or by mail at sandily(at)gmail
Thanks!

Return to “Pediatrician, Obstetrician & Gynaecologist”