Singapore Expats

Tourist Visa/ SVP for passport expiring in 6 months

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
vaikrit

Tourist Visa/ SVP for passport expiring in 6 months

Post by vaikrit » Mon, 03 Mar 2014 9:25 am

Hi Forumers,
My parents are planning to visit me in May for a couple of weeks. I wanted to check if any of you have any experience in obtaining a tourist visa and subsequently a SVP for short duration given the below circumstance.

Date when I am planning to apply Visa using SAVE (I am a SPR): 1 May 2014
Intended date of arrival in SG = 10 May 2014
Indian Passport expiry date = 15 November 2014

My worry is that the passport expiry date is cutting very close to the 6 months timeframe for getting a visa. So unsure if there would be any problem in getting the visa + during immigration. I can check with the ICA directly on the phone, which I am trying but unable to get through their hotline. Appreciate you sharing your knowledge here about this matter and also if I can get any response from ICA through email and not just a reply on phone.

Thanks for your inputs in advance.

taxico
Director
Director

Post by taxico » Mon, 03 Mar 2014 10:01 am

IME as long as you enter with 6 months left on your passport, you'll be let through.
Aut viam ad caelum inveniam aut faciam

Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Post by Wd40 » Mon, 03 Mar 2014 12:39 pm

I think you will be let through, but since you will have only 5 more days for the 6 months expiry, you may not get the full 30 days visa stamp at the immigration. I am not sure.

The wise thing to do is get the passport renewed since you have the time.

vaikrit

Post by vaikrit » Mon, 03 Mar 2014 1:59 pm

Thanks for the quick inputs. Managed to call ICA up as well and they told me the standard scripted answer "We cannot guarantee entry into singapore and obtaining SVP at the point of entry even if the visa is approved".. best for my parents to renew passport and hope that the passports reach them in time to be able to travel

taxico
Director
Director

Post by taxico » Mon, 03 Mar 2014 6:11 pm

vaikrit wrote:...Managed to call ICA up as well and they told me the standard scripted answer "We cannot guarantee entry into singapore and obtaining SVP at the point of entry even if the visa is approved".. best for my parents to renew passport and hope that the passports reach them in time to be able to travel
i think they meant that even with 6 years left on the passport, there is no guaranteed entry into singapore for anyone.

not that because you've got 6 months and 5 days left, therefore there are no guarantees.

i'm pretty sure if they're gonna let someone in (just once, without a view on a possible visa extension), it shouldn't matter if the passport is valid for 6 months or 6 years.

at least, this was the case for me visiting other visa anal countries like china. i liked using my passport for as long as possible.
Aut viam ad caelum inveniam aut faciam