Singapore Expats

Drought

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
bgd
Manager
Manager

Post by bgd » Mon, 03 Mar 2014 11:08 am

beppi wrote:I remember a campaign against washing cars during a dry spell in the 90ies - not sure if it was just discouraged or actually forbidden then.
What on earth will they get their maids to do? :o

The drought will break shortly, you wait. I've been stuck inside for the last 7 weeks. You can guarantee that when I get back on my bike (soon I hope) I will get caught in torrential rain. :)

Barnsley
Manager
Manager

Post by Barnsley » Mon, 03 Mar 2014 11:47 am

Water conservation in the news today :D
Life is short, paddle harder!!

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Mon, 03 Mar 2014 1:12 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Watch out for the NEA and mozzie breeding.
Covered barrel with cover?

x9200

Post by x9200 » Mon, 03 Mar 2014 1:22 pm

In this climate in a few days you will likely have already a biofilm growing on the walls (unless you sterilize it all, keep it refrigerated or heated above 50 deg C or employ some extra measures like UV light, silver ions etc).

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 03 Mar 2014 1:37 pm

PNGMK wrote:
Be sure to get yourself an aquarium pump to keep it aerated or you will have organisms growing in it in no time (stagnant water). I used to keep one of those big blue poly drums as well when I lived in Seletar Camp. It's were I brewed my salt water for my 230 Gal (US) marine aquarium.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Mon, 03 Mar 2014 2:17 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
PNGMK wrote:
Be sure to get yourself an aquarium pump to keep it aerated or you will have organisms growing in it in no time (stagnant water). I used to keep one of those big blue poly drums as well when I lived in Seletar Camp. It's were I brewed my salt water for my 230 Gal (US) marine aquarium.
Damn. I was going to drop one of those toilet cleaning chlorine blocks in it.

QRM
Manager
Manager

Post by QRM » Mon, 03 Mar 2014 2:38 pm

Make the most of what we have tons of sea water and lots of sun.

http://scienceillustrated.com.au/blog/i ... ion-plant/

If that link is not allowed then google "DIY solar desalination"

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Mon, 03 Mar 2014 3:00 pm

QRM wrote:Make the most of what we have tons of sea water and lots of sun.

http://scienceillustrated.com.au/blog/i ... ion-plant/

If that link is not allowed then google "DIY solar desalination"
Sounds like a fun activity to do on East Coast Park or Sentosa island while sun tanning.

QRM
Manager
Manager

Post by QRM » Mon, 03 Mar 2014 3:24 pm

Was thinking on a bigger scale PNGMK can experiment with his big plastic tub and then sell the salt he gets left with to those fancy organic shops and restaurants or use it in the dishwasher?

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 03 Mar 2014 3:51 pm

PNGMK wrote: Damn. I was going to drop one of those toilet cleaning chlorine blocks in it.
If you get the right colour (Blue) Poly barrel that is of food grade, then apparently you don't need to keep it aerated if you are filling it with pre-clorinated tap water although I think I would filter (not charcoal but particulate filter) it when filling it to remove any sediment picked up in the pipes. Anyway, here's the skinny.....
Choose the right containers for storing drinking water
There are many types of containers available for storing water for long term, but not all are intended for storing drinking (potable) water. Rain barrels, for example, are great for collecting and storing water for garden use, but are likely not ‘food grade’. Here are a few suggestions for choosing containers for storing drinking water:

Store water in multiple containers, large and small
Although it’s good to have a large volume of water stored, you should have some set aside in smaller, portable containers light enough to carry during an emergency. Be sure to take into consideration that water weighs 8 lbs per gallon. Two-liter pop bottles are a good option for inexpensive small-volume water storage. Over time these water containers can break down and leak. It is recommended to not store them next to food or other items that can be damaged by water. It is not recommended to use milk jugs for storing water; these jugs can become brittle and break down within a short period of time. Glass containers are not recommended for water storage because they can crack during a freeze or break easily during an emergency.

Choose heavy-duty, ‘food-grade’ polyethylene barrels for bulk water storage
These barrels are often blue in color (blue means water is being stored, red would mean fuel or flammable liquid is being stored, and colors other than blue may not be food grade plastic) and normally hold 40 – 50 gallons. Ideally, an outlet spigot should be mounted on the side of the barrel for decanting or draining.

For storing larger quantities, you can buy industrial-type water tanks that store 250+ gallons. These food-grade plastic bladders are housed in a metal cage and can be stacked two or three high. Remember: 250 gallons of water weighs 2,000 pounds, plus about 150 pounds for the cage. Make sure your flooring can support this weight.

Clean water storage containers before filling
Before storing your water, it’s a good idea to wash and sanitize the container. This can be done by mixing 1 teaspoon (5 ml) of liquid household chlorine bleach to one quart (1 liter) of water. Do not use bleach that has scents, additives or thickeners. Another option is to use hot tap water and detergent, followed by thorough rinsing. Never use a container that has previously held toxic substances. Once filled, seal containers tightly.

Label containers clearly as “drinking water”
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Re: Drought

Post by Strong Eagle » Mon, 03 Mar 2014 11:27 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
movingtospore wrote:Have any of the long-term expats here been through a drought like this before? And will the powers that be ever step up and start encouraging people to stop wasting on water when the reservoirs here and in Malaysia are running very low?
They used to do it often but since Singapore has almost become self sufficient for water using newater and desalination they are not really dependent so much on the piped in water from malaysia. In fact, for many years Singapore and treated a lot of that water and sold it back to malaysia. Not sure if they are still doing that or not though. But I have seen little blurbs recently on "using water wisely" but if it keep up I reckon out of prudence they will go full on. I've seen MacRitchie a whole lot lower back in the 1980's.
I don't think that is accurate. New Water and desalination only make up 50 percent of the water supply. The rest still comes from Malaysia and Singapore is scrambling to make up the difference when the long term contract ends in 2061.

http://www.todayonline.com/commentary/i ... epage=true

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-02-2 ... -haze.html

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Mon, 03 Mar 2014 11:34 pm

Return to “General Discussions”