Singapore Expats

Air traffic controller

Join in the discussion about employment, interview as a cabin crew, pilot in major airlines.
atcowanna

Post by atcowanna » Fri, 06 Sep 2013 1:15 am

I just applied for ATCO job opening and every waiting day is a torture.

Just to quick question to the ATCO here - I understand that the requirement is either a diploma or degree graduate. So as long as I have a diploma, am I entitled for the test? If no, what do they look for when they shortlist candidates? Their O level results?

I just want to know where I stand. :D And I am kind of anxious. Waiting isnt a great feeling. :(

Bender

Post by Bender » Mon, 23 Sep 2013 11:28 am

I went for the aptitude test and sadly didn't make it through to the next round. I was just wondering when can I apply for it again? I'm very keen on trying for it again. Don't wanna give up just yet.

atcowanna

Post by atcowanna » Wed, 25 Sep 2013 10:57 pm

I think they have two rounds of intake per year ... Or you can just ask the HR person - Samuel?

whongtk

Useful ATC info

Post by whongtk » Thu, 31 Oct 2013 12:13 am

Dear all,

I have googled around and I believe anyone who is *seriously* considering a career as an ATC should read as much as possible before applying. Though the following does not cover local ATC i guess it gives good background info.

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) on ATCo recruitment
http://www.eurocontrol.int/faq/air-traf ... oller-jobs

FUNDAMENTALS OF AIR TRAFFIC CONTROL
http://tmaviation.files.wordpress.com/2 ... entals.pdf

Air traffic management (ATM) explained
http://www.eurocontrol.int/articles/air ... -explained

The amount of theory and concepts to be learnt is pretty mind boggling (myself with background in computer science do find the concepts very dry ). Very steep learning curve :???:

Also, found out that ATC trainees go through simulator training at SAA. Very informative website:
Singapore Aviation Academy (SAA)
http://www.saa.com.sg/saa/en/index.html

Good luck to those who have applied to be a ATCO! :wink:

whongtk

Post by whongtk » Thu, 31 Oct 2013 12:20 am

BTW, also found a movie about ATCO featuring a very sexy Angelina Jolie :devil: :love:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0120797/?ref_=ttfc_fc_tt

Not sure if the movie depicts ATCO accurately. Do they really speak that fast? :shock:

Alessia_mee

Preparing to become an ATCO

Post by Alessia_mee » Wed, 13 Nov 2013 5:27 pm

Hi there guys! I'm preparing myself for becoming an Air Traffic Controller and i have found an app on the Apple store: FEAST Test Training App. I think it's great because I can practice on my phone, at the office, and my boss doesn't have a clue about my cruel intentions...:D. I don't know why but the salary for ATCO keeps motivating me a lot :D

I wish you good luck future colleagues!

kohster

Post by kohster » Fri, 06 Dec 2013 12:30 am

Hellooo!

I've gone for the second round of interview about a week back.. Anyone has gone for the second round too? (like the round after the computer test). Any news?

Thanks!

cursed-ign

Post by cursed-ign » Mon, 06 Jan 2014 9:48 am

kohster wrote:Hellooo!

I've gone for the second round of interview about a week back.. Anyone has gone for the second round too? (like the round after the computer test). Any news?

Thanks!

Hello kohster! I went for the second round a week after you and so far there's no news about it. How about you? Did they call you?

asterisks

Age limit for application

Post by asterisks » Tue, 14 Jan 2014 4:27 pm

Dear all,

Glad to come across this forum discussing about ATCO career. It sure helped alot for me to know better about the pro and con of the job. I've read through the postings here but don't seemed to find a specific answer if there is any age limit to this position.

I'm considering a mid career switch and would like to know if I still stand a chance with my age though. Appreciate your advice in advance.

Thank you.

kohster

Post by kohster » Mon, 03 Mar 2014 12:40 pm

[/quote]
Hello kohster! I went for the second round a week after you and so far there's no news about it. How about you? Did they call you?[/quote]

Apparently the training will be starting soon >_< Did they get back to u?

pantss

Post by pantss » Thu, 06 Mar 2014 2:45 pm

hello guys.. I applied in december and again a few weeks ago but there's no response whatsoever at all!

I'm a NTU graduate, singaporean.

Is there something wrong with my application or is it something else?

pantss

Post by pantss » Fri, 07 Mar 2014 5:22 pm

This may sound really stupid but are you even allowed pen and paper for the assessment tests?

I mean, what if there are questions like 7412X321?

Anyone? Thanks.

phoebegoh

Post by phoebegoh » Mon, 10 Mar 2014 5:53 pm

Hi all,

This is what I know so far.

The upcoming batch is in mid-April. Tests and interviews are most probably over. They're clearing health assessments now.

Next batch is in October.

Psychometric test is relatively simple and quite 'fun' actually. You can prepare pen and paper but it's not super important (though I did grab some rough paper from their paper tray haha). Nothing you have to prepare prior to the test!

There's this personality test too but of course I wouldn't know its importance in deciding if you get in.

After these 2 tests, you'll receive notification if you pass and proceed to interview 1. After interview 1 there's orientation whereby they bring you to the aviation academy and this-one-place-i-forgot-the-name-where-the-radars-are. If you pass your 1st interview you'll proceed to Interview 2. If you clear that too you're on your way to health checks (which is what I'm doing now).

Some extra information: I applied around end October and received the call from Caas within days. I'm a graduate from local uni.

Hope this helps!

pantss

Post by pantss » Mon, 10 Mar 2014 6:47 pm

2 interviews? How's the first interview different from the second?
Thanks a lot for your reply!

phoebegoh

Post by phoebegoh » Mon, 10 Mar 2014 8:57 pm

Honestly, they're about the same. Different people sitting in front of you that's all. First interview you have 1 guy from caas, 1 from aviation academy and 1 hr personnel. 2nd interview there's the hr director andddd I can't remember.

I guess they just want to know how sure you are in wanting this job.

Things to note:
1) you'll go through 1 year of training
2) have to sign a 2-year bond