Singapore Expats

Vanessa Mae

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
x9200

Vanessa Mae

Post by x9200 » Sat, 01 Mar 2014 7:55 pm

Do you remember her? She was pretty popular in the 90ties.

http://youtu.be/e00InJbXPLk

She is now British and what's more surprising she represented Thailand in Alpine skying in Sochi this year (she finished last).

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 01 Mar 2014 8:56 pm

I remember when she first burst on the scene as a teenager. She wowed the world with her new style of playing the classics. I really liked her. She's come a long way and as a 35 year old representing her country (or partially anyway - like Tiger Woods) in the olympics even though she got in on a bye. Not bad.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

x9200

Post by x9200 » Sat, 01 Mar 2014 9:51 pm

I didn't know she is half-Thai but now that I know she looks half Thai to me.
I still like to listen to her.

QRM
Manager
Manager

Post by QRM » Sun, 02 Mar 2014 12:01 pm

I got a real bollocking from her mum (Lovely lady but bit of a tiger mum) when I played ball with Vanessa. Her mum said she cannot play any sports that may break or damage her fingers as that would be millions lost in revenue if she had to cancel a concert!! Felt a bit sorry for her never really had a childhood, all practice etc. I suppose her fortune stashed away now is compensation for that?

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Sun, 02 Mar 2014 12:39 pm

QRM wrote:I got a real bollocking from her mum (Lovely lady but bit of a tiger mum) when I played ball with Vanessa. Her mum said she cannot play any sports that may break or damage her fingers as that would be millions lost in revenue if she had to cancel a concert!! Felt a bit sorry for her never really had a childhood, all practice etc. I suppose her fortune stashed away now is compensation for that?
She had a really bad split with her mum I believe some time back. The news story about her olympic work seems to have indicated they are back together.

I saw her in concert once.

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Re: Vanessa Mae

Post by the lynx » Mon, 03 Mar 2014 9:32 am

x9200 wrote:Do you remember her? She was pretty popular in the 90ties.

She is now British and what's more surprising she represented Thailand in Alpine skying in Sochi this year (she finished last).
She finished last. But there were about 27 other skiers who DNF from race. Not bad for someone who concentrated so much in violin, and only had one year to pick up the skis (after putting her music career on hold).

bgd
Manager
Manager

Post by bgd » Mon, 03 Mar 2014 9:41 am

the lynx wrote: She finished last. But there were about 27 other skiers who DNF from race. Not bad for someone who concentrated so much in violin, and only had one year to pick up the skis (after putting her music career on hold).
Agreed, very talented individual, both musically and athletically.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Mon, 03 Mar 2014 10:36 am

the lynx wrote:
x9200 wrote:Do you remember her? She was pretty popular in the 90ties.

She finished last. But there were about 27 other skiers who DNF from race. Not bad for someone who concentrated so much in violin, and only had one year to pick up the skis (after putting her music career on hold).
According to Wikipedia "A skier since the age of four,[13] she has wanted since age 14 to compete in the Olympics.[14] Vanakorn attempted to represent Thailand for the 2002 Winter Olympics, but was unable to do so at the time, as the Thai Olympic Committee had requested she give up her British citizenship, which she was not ready to do.[15] In 2009 Vanessa-Mae took up residence in the Swiss alpine resort of Zermatt.[16] She started to train competitively in 2010.[14] She is registered as a Thai alpine skier.[17]."

So not exactly it was like something new to her and started one year ago.

Return to “General Discussions”