Singapore Expats

toxic free furniture and homewares

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
wombat11

toxic free furniture and homewares

Post by wombat11 » Sun, 02 Mar 2014 1:23 pm

Hi all

We've just bought our first home and I'm looking around for furniture. I'm after a fabric sofa made without the nasty chemicals and flame retardants etc, preferably organic fabrics. Also wood that hasn't been treated with chemicals. I know Singapore isn't the best place for finding this stuff but wondering if I'm just not looking in the right places?

I did find one place called Lux Grandeur in IMM that sells Sentire Mattresses (that sell some natural latex and organic fabric mattresses) and also custom builds furniture here in Singapore and uses sofa fabric from Belgium certified not to contain any nasty stuff.

Does anyone know where else I could look?

I'm also looking for organic cotton/fabric sheets and towels etc.

Thanks!

movingtospore
Reporter
Reporter

Post by movingtospore » Sun, 02 Mar 2014 9:50 pm

You'll be lucky if you can find one that doesn't break after 6 months here. Or cost your life savings. Just saying.... :lol:

Nothing local fits the bill. Ikea caries some of their enviro products in Asia but the quality is so so (mattresses etc).

Taylor B is pretty nice. And reasonably good quality and prices. No idea about their enviro side tho.

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Re: toxic free furniture and homewares

Post by the lynx » Mon, 03 Mar 2014 9:50 am

wombat11 wrote:Hi all

We've just bought our first home and I'm looking around for furniture. I'm after a fabric sofa made without the nasty chemicals and flame retardants etc, preferably organic fabrics. Also wood that hasn't been treated with chemicals. I know Singapore isn't the best place for finding this stuff but wondering if I'm just not looking in the right places?

I did find one place called Lux Grandeur in IMM that sells Sentire Mattresses (that sell some natural latex and organic fabric mattresses) and also custom builds furniture here in Singapore and uses sofa fabric from Belgium certified not to contain any nasty stuff.

Does anyone know where else I could look?

I'm also looking for organic cotton/fabric sheets and towels etc.

Thanks!
Just one note about wood. Termites and wood-boring insects and mould are HUGE problems here in the tropical climate. For someone to sell you an untreated product, it would be a score for them and a loss to you because instead of selling them as defective products with low prices, they can sell you as premium 'organic' products with 'expat price'.

Like what movingtospore, you will be lucky if your wooden furniture or utensils do not break under 6 months or cost your life savings.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Mon, 03 Mar 2014 10:40 am

Quality teak wood could be the answer.
Another one but possibly difficult to implement is to take the chemical phobia under control as most of the time is not justifiable.

ultravibes

Post by ultravibes » Thu, 06 Mar 2014 4:18 pm

Please, do not advertise or your account will be locked.