Singapore Expats

Is it really difficult to find Single White Women here?

Post here to organise an event, gathering, meetup, party. Search for expats from your country, sports partners or meet new friends here!
stereotactic

Is it really difficult to find Single White Women here?

Post by stereotactic » Wed, 19 Feb 2014 7:52 pm

I am just curious. Are there Single White Women around in Singapore? Most of the women I find here are mostly attached, engaged or married. I have heard that they are not usually looking around for the Asian men, primarily because of their belief that they are "not men enough".

Is it true or just a prejudice?

I understand that its a generalized statement but I am curious to know as to what cultural differences operate there and how their perceptions are different from this part of the world.

Strictly educational, please!
The sum of many a perfection!

Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Re: Is it really difficult to find Single White Women here?

Post by Wd40 » Wed, 19 Feb 2014 8:08 pm

stereotactic wrote:I am just curious. Are there Single White Women around in Singapore? Most of the women I find here are mostly attached, engaged or married. I have heard that they are not usually looking around for the Asian men, primarily because of their belief that they are "not men enough".

I understand that its a generalized statement but I am curious to know as to what cultural differences operate there and how their perceptions are different from this part of the world.

Strictly educational, please!
Do you think its just their belief? Its a fact! White women or black women for that matter can whack the balls of Asian men :lol:

musicgirl
Regular
Regular

Post by musicgirl » Wed, 19 Feb 2014 10:31 pm

I'm curious what industry you work in. Only because like you, for education purposes, all of our perceptions come from the interactions we have. I don't promise the secret to every white woman's thinking, but I can give you my personal thoughts.

I think that to generalize every white woman's belief is just silly. Every woman, no matter her race or cultural upbringing, is an individual and has individual perspectives. Much depends on how her views are sculpted from her family, education and culture and how she chooses to live her life. It also depends on what you are looking for in a woman. I think that generalizing all asian men in one category is also a very limited view. Not only can they be distinguished by their race, but by their family, education and how long they/their family have been in Singapore. (Of course, I am assuming you mean s'porean asian men and not asian men from all over Asia.)

As for are there any single, white women? Well I would say an emphatic yes, however I also admit that my perception is skewed as they are a commonality in my career. I am a single, white woman from Canada. I am in Singapore teaching at an International School. Many of the female teachers I work with or attend trainings and conferences with are single and white, from English mother-tongue countries.

Many of my friends are locals too, who I met in my previous job or through other activities. I have dated both expat and local men. There are certain trends in the behaviours and expectations of locals and they are often thrown for a loop when trying to figure out those that do not fit the same behaviours and expectations. This can get frustrating. However, most of my local friends and some local guys I dated do not follow these trends. These individuals tend to be in industries that are more creative and have broken away from those that fit the more typical s'porean social fashion. Also, they have often lived abroad themselves or travel frequently.

I must say that I am not convinced one way or the other who (racially or culturally) I would date next, but I will say that I prefer guys taller than me, and there are a lot of short guys here. :-|

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Thu, 20 Feb 2014 12:26 am

+1

The International Schools are just stuffed full of frustrated, lonely, horny and single women of all races.... a very happy hunting ground.

And yes, I met my wife (a white American) here.... and I'm shorter than her.

x9200

Re: Is it really difficult to find Single White Women here?

Post by x9200 » Thu, 20 Feb 2014 5:42 am

stereotactic wrote:I am just curious. Are there Single White Women around in Singapore? Most of the women I find here are mostly attached, engaged or married. I have heard that they are not usually looking around for the Asian men, primarily because of their belief that they are "not men enough".

My wife (White) does not find local men attractive and I think it is partly because of what you have mentioned (if you meant the appearance).
Another factor I would expect to play some role is that the Asian societies are much more patriarchal across all their layers as compared to more modern parts of the Western world. It shows in the behaviour of some males even in casual encounters. It varies of course in intensity with different ethnic groups but generally seems to be present.

Steve1960
Editor
Editor

Post by Steve1960 » Thu, 20 Feb 2014 8:56 am

If I wanted to find a Filipina lady friend then I would go to the areas and places they tend to congregate whether it be in Singapore, Taiwan or the UK.

Same for most other countries and races pretty much I think.

So to find single white females you need to figure out where they hang out and what they like to do and see if you can infiltrate a social group. Better still try and find someone to invite you in.

I have seen several families in Singapore with an Asian male and Caucasian female so as pointed out above I don't think every white woman finds Asian guys unattractive.

Alternatively go pick up a Russian girl in OT :wink:

musicgirl
Regular
Regular

Post by musicgirl » Thu, 20 Feb 2014 11:21 pm

Steve1960 wrote:
So to find single white females you need to figure out where they hang out and what they like to do and see if you can infiltrate a social group. Better still try and find someone to invite you in.
Sounds about right. :) Though at the same time when I'm not hanging out with my friends...I'm on my own. Us single girls are often on our own. Reading in a cafe, at the gym, eating dinner somewhere, etc.... I've had many locals just come up to me and talk, but rarely expat men. This is common culture back home, and so I don't mind at all, but I think a lot of guys are shy or just don't notice.

BedokAmerican
Chatter
Chatter

Post by BedokAmerican » Sat, 01 Mar 2014 5:29 pm

As a white woman married to a white man, I'll give you my thoughts on this issue:

When I was single and living in the USA, I didn't date Asian men, but I didn't avoid them either. It had nothing to do with what you mentioned. People of different races come in all shapes and sizes and various levels of attractiveness. There was nothing wrong with Asian men. It's just that most of them never talked to me unless it was at work and work-related. They just seemed to keep to themselves.

I can't tell you where groups of single white women hang out in Singapore, but if you find one you like, don't be scared to strike up a conversation. If she's married/attached, maybe she has a single friend :) I've met several white women here who are married to Asian men, so it does happen.

movingtospore
Reporter
Reporter

Post by movingtospore » Sun, 02 Mar 2014 9:42 pm

I am white but not single, but I would say I do know a number of single white women here. They join sporting clubs, etc etc - look for the expat flavoured ones and there you will find them. They also travel in the region a lot as why not when you're young and not tied down. Gee...I I think I'm getting jealous of them. Travel clubs? Photography?

The other poster was right re the International Schools...but I think you might get arrested if you turned up looking for love.

What I think about finding love...do things you love to do and it will find you.