Singapore Expats

Ukraine is f#cked!!!!

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Post by Wd40 » Sun, 02 Mar 2014 6:54 am

Haha, I dont think we will need to learn Japanese. Japan is now an ally of the US. Singapore too is an ally of the US.

So who will be the axis powers this time? Russia, China, North Korea, Syria, Iran. ?

x9200

Post by x9200 » Sun, 02 Mar 2014 7:47 am

I don't think any WW3 is close. Ukraine may be as per the subject line of this thread but much more. Russia will loose some from the position it gained during last 2 decades and become more isolated.
This pretext of Ukrainian nationalism Putin and some pro-Russian politicians are using, I don't think its valid, but it may be valid soon and probably Putin hopes for this to happen. The question is what does he want to achieve wit this invasion. The secession of the Crimean Peninsula?

Sergei82
Editor
Editor

Post by Sergei82 » Sun, 02 Mar 2014 7:56 am

I do think, it is much more than just Crimea. But he already started giving Russian passports to Ukrainian law enforcement staff in Crimea.

Meantime Kiev still hasn't completely decided who will rule what, so nobody reacted yet (other than journalists ridiculing new Ukrainian government). The only thing UA govt demonstrates is (quote) "some form of mild idiotism" vetoing their own decrees about status of Russian language... this should make Putin go away???

Sergei82
Editor
Editor

Post by Sergei82 » Sun, 02 Mar 2014 8:01 am

I'm just thinking: the world is in a very long economic recession (6 years already) - and American Great Depression, some say, was one of the reasons of the rise to power by Nazis in Europe. The world is getting more and more overpopulated (some name this as reason for previous World Wars). The situation with Ukraine reminds the one that happened to Poland (neighbor countries!!!) when Hitler started his military campaign.

So isn't everything ready for World War 3 in the world? I think, "best conditions" are there.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Sun, 02 Mar 2014 10:41 am

Interesting article in yesterday's FAZ
http://www.faz.net/aktuell/politik/obam ... 26810.html

A bit crippled google translation
http://translate.google.com.sg/translat ... 26810.html

Sergei82
Editor
Editor

Post by Sergei82 » Sun, 02 Mar 2014 11:51 am

Ukraine official: Russia has launched 'armed invasion' in Crimea
http://www.foxnews.com/world/2014/02/28 ... ne-future/

Russia plans to add military bases in Nicaragua, Venezuela, other countries
http://voxxi.com/2014/02/28/russia-adds ... n-america/

--------------------------------------------------------

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/russian-ai ... -1.2554798
Moscow has vowed to protect Russian-speaking Ukrainians in Crimea.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adolph_Hitler
On 12 March 1938, Hitler declared unification of Austria with Nazi Germany in the Anschluss. Hitler then turned his attention to the ethnic German population of the Sudetenland region of Czechoslovakia.

On 28–29 March 1938, Hitler held a series of secret meetings in Berlin with Konrad Henlein of the Sudeten Heimfront (Home Front), the largest of the ethnic German parties of the Sudetenland.The men agreed that Henlein would demand increased autonomy for Sudeten Germans from the Czechoslovakian government, thus providing a pretext for German military action against Czechoslovakia.

Sergei82
Editor
Editor

Post by Sergei82 » Sun, 02 Mar 2014 12:17 pm

"Request to PRC government to urgently send troops into Far Eastern territory of Russia, where Chinese people really are in the majority, to protect their compatriots from infringement on their rights: Chinese language doesn't have even regional status there!"
Citizens of Ukraine.
Millions of Russians are so worried about the status of Russian language in Ukraine, not even noticing that a half of residents in Russia does not speak RUSSIAN!
-Why Russians are rallying in the Crimea?
-Because in Moscow they would've been jailed for that already!
In some ways, though Yanukovych and Putin are like ...
-?
-One did not order to shoot at protesters, and the second did not order to attack Ukraine ...
:mrgreen:
Last edited by Sergei82 on Sun, 02 Mar 2014 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wd40
Director
Director

Post by Wd40 » Sun, 02 Mar 2014 12:33 pm

Sergei, so your PR application timing was perfect, isn't it? :)

Sergei82
Editor
Editor

Post by Sergei82 » Sun, 02 Mar 2014 12:36 pm

Wd40 wrote:Sergei, so your PR application timing was perfect, isn't it? :)
F#cked up! So what are my chances now? SMS???

Wd40
Director
Director

Post by Wd40 » Sun, 02 Mar 2014 2:40 pm

I think you have relatively better chances now than before as you wont come across as one of those white expats who are here only for a short term "Asian experience"

Similar to PRC Chinese v/s MY & Indo Chinese. The former come across as people from a country with better growth opportunities than Singapore and hence dont consider getting PR from Singapore as something of a boon. MY & Indo Chinese on the other hand come across as people who have been deprived of their rights in their countries and hence getting a Singapore PR is something of an achievement.

Sergei82
Editor
Editor

Post by Sergei82 » Sun, 02 Mar 2014 2:49 pm

Ukraine declares general mobilization after Russia approves use of military force in Crimea

http://english.pravda.ru/news/hotspots/ ... sia_war-0/

Finally!!!

x9200

Post by x9200 » Sun, 02 Mar 2014 3:47 pm

Sergei82 wrote:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adolph_Hitler
On 12 March 1938, Hitler declared unification of Austria with Nazi Germany in the Anschluss. Hitler then turned his attention to the ethnic German population of the Sudetenland region of Czechoslovakia.

On 28–29 March 1938, Hitler held a series of secret meetings in Berlin with Konrad Henlein of the Sudeten Heimfront (Home Front), the largest of the ethnic German parties of the Sudetenland.The men agreed that Henlein would demand increased autonomy for Sudeten Germans from the Czechoslovakian government, thus providing a pretext for German military action against Czechoslovakia.
One of the main "objective" of Germany under NSDAP ruling was Lebensraum (living space) for Germans. This was the base justification for the aggression. What you are quoting above was like a pretext.
I don't really see any strong similarity to the current situations. Russia is just desperately trying to stay in control of what has left from their former empire. Germany wanted new space plus there was a strong racial and nationalistic factor.

Sergei82
Editor
Editor

Post by Sergei82 » Sun, 02 Mar 2014 4:10 pm

You say, Putin doesn't care about living space? Ask Japan, Georgia, Finland, Germany, Korea and others, including those within Russian Federation: Chechnya, Dagestan.

Hitler and Putin - both want world domination. Sure, if Putin gets stronger, he won't stop to take Alaska back!

Sergei82
Editor
Editor

Post by Sergei82 » Sun, 02 Mar 2014 4:13 pm

Wd40 wrote:...getting a Singapore PR is something of an achievement.
Getting citizenship - maybe. Other than stepping stone to citizenship, one can wipe his ass with Singaporean PR - that many benefits it provides to those who never had problems with work visas.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Sun, 02 Mar 2014 4:39 pm

Sergei82 wrote:You say, Putin doesn't care about living space? Ask Japan, Georgia, Finland, Germany, Korea and others, including those within Russian Federation: Chechnya, Dagestan.

Hitler and Putin - both want world domination. Sure, if Putin gets stronger, he won't stop to take Alaska back!
Yes, but so it's probably every single country in this world. Politicians are a special breed. It's more about priorities, ambition but also pragmatism. Putin will not sell his expansion dreams (if he has any strong ones) to Russians. Nobody but some limited number of radicals would buy it. At least I hope so.