Singapore Expats

Good Coffee in Singapore?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
taxico
Director
Director

Post by taxico » Wed, 03 Apr 2013 3:31 pm

it's located in queensway - it's in the heartlands near my wife's office. you can actually google for singapore coffee distributors/wholesalers as there are quite a few and they sell to walk-in customers. find one that is located close to you.

i don't buy a lot... about 250 grams of beans each time. some times less - if you're buying 100 grams i guess they would be okay, but something like 10 grams may subject you to nasty glares.

crazy_beans

Post by crazy_beans » Mon, 08 Apr 2013 10:02 am

taxico wrote:it's located in queensway - it's in the heartlands near my wife's office. you can actually google for singapore coffee distributors/wholesalers as there are quite a few and they sell to walk-in customers. find one that is located close to you.

i don't buy a lot... about 250 grams of beans each time. some times less - if you're buying 100 grams i guess they would be okay, but something like 10 grams may subject you to nasty glares.
Lol 10 grams is barely enough for a cup. Yes I think they would think you are trying to be cute.

Ok will go around explore. Thanks :)

BillyB
Manager
Manager

Post by BillyB » Mon, 08 Apr 2013 11:44 am

Vittoria coffee from Australia is pretty good. A few outlets lurking around the City and I think you can buy the beans there, too.

qwe7410

Post by qwe7410 » Wed, 26 Feb 2014 2:19 am

Getting a good coffee in Singapore is almost impossible.
I'm sorry to say this, but things are still not to the mark here.
I've tried many famous cafes and i can't get a decent one,
Even from those who had star baristas.

So i bought a manual roaster from Italy and a pile of coffee greens and do it myself. Viola! Taste like home finally!
Last edited by qwe7410 on Thu, 21 Apr 2016 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

katbh
Reporter
Reporter

Post by katbh » Wed, 26 Feb 2014 4:19 am

Gastronomia does good coffee

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Wed, 26 Feb 2014 6:42 am

^^^^^^^^^^

Not you, katbh, but for qwe7410...

Why is my spidey sense going off here? Maybe because the domain is owned by someone in Panama, hosted in Texas, and has absolutely not a single reference to a physical or postal address in Malaysia?

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 26 Feb 2014 6:59 am

Sends my seismic tingly monitor right off the charts.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

BillyB
Manager
Manager

Post by BillyB » Wed, 26 Feb 2014 9:52 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Sends my seismic tingly monitor right off the charts.
It's comedy value reading the bullsh*t sales pitch!

Primrose Hill
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Primrose Hill » Wed, 26 Feb 2014 11:50 am

then ka booooom :P

Strong Eagle

Post by Strong Eagle » Wed, 26 Feb 2014 12:12 pm

BillyB wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:Sends my seismic tingly monitor right off the charts.
It's comedy value reading the bullsh*t sales pitch!
The interesting thing is that she/he has been hanging around for a while, waiting to make this pitch.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Wed, 26 Feb 2014 12:30 pm

Reason out this one.

1-2y ago there was a case where from 2 accounts (could be a single person) created I believe in 2006 or so (zero posts anyway) all the sudden this typical extremely sophisticated dialog was performed:

A1: I am looking for an application for my iPhone that can do oo-oo-a-a. Can anybody recommend something?

A2: (immediately after) I'm using the oo-oo-a-a (http://www.oo-oo-a-a.com) and it's very good. My friends use it oso and are happy.

Sadly ka-boom followed.

gailwynand
Regular
Regular

Post by gailwynand » Wed, 26 Feb 2014 5:25 pm

There's some decent coffee here but you're better off buying a burr grinder at your electronics shop of choice and an Aeropress and/or pourover on Amazon. With good beans and a bit of practice you can make coffee just as good as the star baristas for $0.50-1 a cup (depending on beans) instead of $8...

Or if espresso is your thing get a Nespresso. I had a Nespresso back in the States and personally prefer making my own coffee but your mileage may vary..

wencheching

Post by wencheching » Fri, 28 Feb 2014 12:35 am

I have tried to buy a coffee at XXX (the website is www.XXX.com). They mentioned their coffee is organic coffee. The taste was really good and the price is very competitive. Initially I am curious on how to spot fake coffee luwak and after talking to them they send me the poo of the luwak as a sample as well to proof that their authentic.
Just share my thought as one of your option to get authentic kopi luwak

Strong Eagle

Post by Strong Eagle » Fri, 28 Feb 2014 12:55 am

wencheching wrote:I have tried to buy a coffee at XXX (the website is www.XXX.com). They mentioned their coffee is organic coffee. The taste was really good and the price is very competitive. Initially I am curious on how to spot fake coffee luwak and after talking to them they send me the poo of the luwak as a sample as well to proof that their authentic.
Just share my thought as one of your option to get authentic kopi luwak
Sorry, a first time poster with this kind of story doesn't get to advertise.

How do you know the "poo" didn't come from the neighbor's cat?

And, I am always suspicious of websites that do not have a reference to an actual physical address...

gailwynand
Regular
Regular

Post by gailwynand » Wed, 16 Apr 2014 9:59 pm

Kopi luwak was originally supposed to be good because the cats selected the best wild beans on their own.

Of course these days the cats are force fed so now it's just way overpriced formerly poop covered coffee with an extra helping of animal cruelty.