Singapore Expats

What are my rights as a tenant?

Discuss about where to live, renting a property, tenancy issues, property trend and property investment in Singapore.
Cressida

What are my rights as a tenant?

Post by Cressida » Sun, 05 Jan 2014 10:59 am

Hi,

I share an apartment with another person but it is her name which is on the lease. I have had several problems with my room so far such as various leaks and a blinds which do not work. Unfortunately, the landlord has been useless at tending to them which is baffling since the room is literally rotting and it is in his interest to prevent further damage to his property.

The room now smells of mould and I now sleep in the spare room. I am essentially happy living where I am and truly do not want the hassle of moving again; however, I know I cannot keep living like this.

I have told my room mate that I have no choice but to not pay next month's rent until these issues are fixed by the landlord. She highlighted that the problem is she is the one paying him and so if I do not pay, it is her who takes the financial brunt of it. Another alternative I can think of is to shift into the extra room which then renders my current room useless to guests.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Search By

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Sun, 05 Jan 2014 11:47 am

My advice is for you to pay your rent or leave the apartment. If you don't pay, you'll be screwing over your fellow roommate who is on the lease.

Is the landlord aware you live there? They're legally obliged to have you on the lease if you do.

Cressida

Post by Cressida » Sun, 23 Feb 2014 9:39 pm

Thank you. Situation is sorted and I have broken contract and am moving out. Deposit has not been withheld. If anyone is ever in a similar situation, please get in touch. I have a useful template you can use to fight your case!

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Mon, 24 Feb 2014 2:30 pm

Cressida wrote:Thank you. Situation is sorted and I have broken contract and am moving out. Deposit has not been withheld. If anyone is ever in a similar situation, please get in touch. I have a useful template you can use to fight your case!
Why not share it here for everyone?

Cressida

Post by Cressida » Mon, 24 Feb 2014 4:01 pm

Sure, will do so later, but the situation got a lot worse since the first post so be prepared!