Singapore Expats

Press in Singapore and copyright

A moderated forum for serious discussions only.
nutnut
Manager
Manager

Press in Singapore and copyright

Post by nutnut » Tue, 18 Feb 2014 3:38 pm

So, I read this today on BBC news website:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-26187730

Which is interesting since, in Singapore, certainly ST and S-t-o-m-p etc don't allow us to link to them

Thoughts? Is it just because the press here are worried that people may criticize them and they are unable to take such criticism?
nutnut

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Tue, 18 Feb 2014 3:48 pm

I'd echo the same thoughts. Obviously they thought they could handle the criticism but seriously, it is more than what's on the surface.

earthfriendly
Manager
Manager

Post by earthfriendly » Wed, 19 Feb 2014 2:13 am

URL CENSORED DUE TO COPYRIGHT ISSUES

earthfriendly
Manager
Manager

Post by earthfriendly » Wed, 19 Feb 2014 2:18 am

LOL, my above post just gets cut off automatically because I mention A-s-i-a-1. Let me try it again. If this does not work, I may not be incline to post it a 3rd time. Here goes:

This is very perplexing to me. They don't like links to their site but when you go directly to A-s-i-a-1.com , the content is publicly available. Is it because they don't want our lives to be so easy and want to make us work for it by typing more keystrokes? Why don't they want exposure and wider readership. Even though I grew up in SG, sometimes I just don't understand the logic or way of doing things. If someone has some insight, please share.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 19 Feb 2014 6:43 am

The highest incidence of Myopia in the world, perhaps? :lol:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

x9200

Post by x9200 » Wed, 19 Feb 2014 8:05 am

From this BBC article it is unclear what kind of linking they are talking about. Posting a link, like this

Code: Select all

http://uuaa.com.sg/something/
has been always considered legal. Only hot-linking (in-frame type), that display the source content on the host website have been in question and IMHO rightly so.