Singapore Expats

Advice for recent MBA graduate from Boston?

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
Jspilewski

Advice for recent MBA graduate from Boston?

Post by Jspilewski » Mon, 17 Feb 2014 6:35 am

Hello everyone,

So over the past three months I have been doing a lot of research on relocating to Singapore after I graduate in May with my MBA. I have been approved for the Work Holiday Pass and I will be arriving in Singapore at the end of May. I have been applying to a lot of jobs within the Financial sector through various websites and connecting with people within those companies on linkedin. Currently a company that wants to hire me is only offering me S$2200 + Bonuses ect. if the company preforms well. I am keeping this as a backup because I personally think the salary is too low. I have four years of sales experience while I was working full time as an undergraduate with my degree in finance, 2 years of executive sales recruiting and last summer I interned in Beijing as a financial analyst.

So what I want to ask you all:

1. What type of salary range would you consider to be acceptable for someone with my experience?

2. I have not done any salary negotiations with the company that wants to hire me yet, do the companies in Singapore negotiate their salaries?

3. As an entry level position in the financial services sector what salary range should I be expecting?

4. Should I be using a recruiter to help me with this process?

Thanks!

beppi
Manager
Manager

Post by beppi » Mon, 17 Feb 2014 4:24 pm

The WHP is for simple, temporary jobs done by students or similar. S$2200 is a good salary for somebody on that pass. If you are more serious, professional and interested in a longer-term position, you need an employer who gets you an EP.
I don't know the market for MBA-type jobs, but I guess there are plenty of local fresh grads who need to be hired first (by law). The salary for a similarly skilled local is in the range of S$3000-3800/month.

Jspilewski

Post by Jspilewski » Tue, 18 Feb 2014 2:52 am

So I would be looking for a more professional longer-term position. So would you recommend that I find a recruiter in Singapore to help me do that?

Also if I do not find anything from now until I arrive in Singapore, once I arrive there would I have a better shot at landing a higher paying job?

Thanks!

beppi
Manager
Manager

Post by beppi » Tue, 18 Feb 2014 5:30 pm

You should search and read available posts about job search on the forum.
Recruiters are of limited help and your chances (which for a foreign fresh graduate are close to zero) would improve if you get a few years of good work experience first, preferably in a niche that is in demand in Singapore.

HA
Regular
Regular

Post by HA » Tue, 18 Feb 2014 6:54 pm

Without knowing much about you or your potential employer, that number seems to be low.

The salary for Tier-1 MBA schools and/or Tier-1 financial firms tend to be minimum $135K+Bonuses for first year post-MBA associate. That equates to c. $11K + bonus on a per months basis.

I don't know for Tier-2 schools and/or Tier-2 financial firms, but it can't be too much lower compared to the above.