Singapore Expats

Mobile Game Development

Discuss your views about Singapore business & economy, current policies & issues, starting a business in Singapore.
indie_indie

Mobile Game Development

Post by indie_indie » Tue, 18 Feb 2014 11:14 am

Hi ,

I am on EP here. . during free time I develop some casual Android/iOS games. And I wish to upload some of these games online.. IF (a big if) I make money, I need to register it under ACRA since its under monetary gain... So the question is - Can a EP holder have a sole proprietorship ?

All the ACRA website literature says , I can
(http://www.bizfile.gov.sg/mybizfile/pro ... _Chart.pdf)

Any comments ?

Thanks!

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 18 Feb 2014 11:21 am

No.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

indie_indie

Post by indie_indie » Tue, 18 Feb 2014 11:25 am

Thanks for the reply.

Any reason that you can think of behind ACRA's logic of allowing the term "Employment Pass" holders as eligible for Sole Proprietorship ?

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 18 Feb 2014 12:19 pm

If you are on an employment pass you can only work for that one employer. Pretty cut & dried. ACRA is a different body and they do not always dovetail in their interpretations. I would suggest you do a search of the Business Forum and the various permutations and possibilities have been discussed many times. Maybe you can find another way, depending on your personal circumstances. But as an EP holder for another employer, you cannot also own/work for a sole proprietorship.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Tue, 18 Feb 2014 12:22 pm

indie_indie wrote:Thanks for the reply.

Any reason that you can think of behind ACRA's logic of allowing the term "Employment Pass" holders as eligible for Sole Proprietorship ?
??? Where did you see that?

Fact is, you can sell online, deposit funds in another country, pay your taxes there, and no one will be the wiser. I'm not recommending this, merely pointing out that it is extremely difficult to police such activities; further, that many people can and do run various kinds of businesses in their home countries, which are not subject to overview by Singapore.

For example, while resident in Singapore, I did those things necessary to ensure that my rental property remained rented, that upkeep was performed, and that taxes were paid.

You have to consider the bottom line in the eyes of the Singapore government. Are you doing something that could affect the ability of a Singaporean to get a job? If the answer is yes, you have a problem.

indie_indie

Post by indie_indie » Tue, 18 Feb 2014 12:37 pm

Thanks Mod !

1. This is the place where it says EP holders can register a "Business" (not Company)
http://www.bizfile.gov.sg/mybizfile/pro ... _Chart.pdf

2. I get the idea about selling online and giving Home country bank account and pay my taxes there. I think this is the only option I have, and is this really illegal even if policed ? At least for Singapore govt. it shouldn't be, IMO.
Even ethically , I ain't doing anything wrong :)

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Tue, 18 Feb 2014 1:57 pm

indie_indie wrote:Thanks Mod !

1. This is the place where it says EP holders can register a "Business" (not Company)
http://www.bizfile.gov.sg/mybizfile/pro ... _Chart.pdf

2. I get the idea about selling online and giving Home country bank account and pay my taxes there. I think this is the only option I have, and is this really illegal even if policed ? At least for Singapore govt. it shouldn't be, IMO.
Even ethically , I ain't doing anything wrong :)
So... here is the deal. You can register your business. You can hire a manager. You can reap the profits. You cannot work for that business so long as you hold an EP with another company.

Get it?

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 18 Feb 2014 2:14 pm

See the first reply to your original post.

indie_indie

Post by indie_indie » Tue, 18 Feb 2014 3:52 pm

Cool then. Thanks for the replies. I think I got the answer ! :)