Singapore Expats

Public Transport Etiquette

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
Sergei82
Editor
Editor

Post by Sergei82 » Tue, 18 Feb 2014 10:07 am

earthfriendly wrote:It is not difficult to not be perceived as a pervert.
A word of consolation! :mrgreen:

The lynx still has a tooth on me. Is it still about that fat loss topic? I'm sorry, it was a hard day, and probably I posted something that sounded more personal than I meant it to be, will be careful next time. :)

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Tue, 18 Feb 2014 12:24 pm

I am truly sorry to hear how many females have been assaulted... and yes, it is assault when some dickhead puts his hand on your thigh.

Out every one of the buggers. Pull out your camera and take a pic. Find the nearest police officer at the next station and report the bastard.

pisceangirl
Chatter
Chatter

Post by pisceangirl » Tue, 18 Feb 2014 12:33 pm

Strong Eagle wrote:I am truly sorry to hear how many females have been assaulted... and yes, it is assault when some dickhead puts his hand on your thigh.

Out every one of the buggers. Pull out your camera and take a pic. Find the nearest police officer at the next station and report the bastard.
+1 ^^

Sergei82
Editor
Editor

Post by Sergei82 » Tue, 18 Feb 2014 12:37 pm

Strong Eagle wrote:Pull out your camera and take a pic. Find the nearest police officer at the next station and report the bastard.
You don't expect uncles to smile on camera, do you? :)
I never asked, but I'm curious now about pepper sprays and tasers in Singapore. How legal it is to possess and, more interestingly, use them?

pisceangirl
Chatter
Chatter

Post by pisceangirl » Tue, 18 Feb 2014 12:50 pm

You bring up an interesting point Sergei82. I have been told that bringing pepper spray into SG is illegal if you are a traveller and it's use by the general public is deemed illegal also.

For a taser you would require a license.

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Tue, 18 Feb 2014 2:00 pm

Sergei82 wrote:
Strong Eagle wrote:Pull out your camera and take a pic. Find the nearest police officer at the next station and report the bastard.
I expect the f*ckers to be outed, without your light hearted smile to the contrary. These f*cks are predators. Males who care about the women around them are duty bound to stop this kind of crap.

Sergei82
Editor
Editor

Post by Sergei82 » Tue, 18 Feb 2014 2:11 pm

Strong Eagle wrote:
Sergei82 wrote:
I expect the f*ckers to be outed, without your light hearted smile to the contrary. These f*cks are predators. Males who care about the women around them are duty bound to stop this kind of crap.
I think those are 2 separate categories:
1) those who explicitly chase women to rape them,
2) those touching women in public transport, even though it is obvious that you can't have anything with a woman in public transport.
The 2nd category is for psychiatrists to handle (1st one is for police) and for government to address (as they are addressing gamble addiction now). The danger of being publicly exposed or yelled at may drive them even crazier giving more adrenaline.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 18 Feb 2014 2:16 pm

The power lifter in Sergei is coming out! Here come's his adrenalin rush! :lol:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

pisceangirl
Chatter
Chatter

Post by pisceangirl » Tue, 18 Feb 2014 2:25 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:The power lifter in Sergei is coming out! Here come's his adrenalin rush! :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

earthfriendly
Manager
Manager

Post by earthfriendly » Wed, 19 Feb 2014 12:59 am

SE, I understand where you are coming from and appreciate your concern, for us females. I don't think Sergei meant any disrespect. He is just a jovial and cheerful guy. A young man in his prime, looking for the right girl to settle down with.

As for me, after the initial shock, I got over it quickly and never thought about it until this thread surface. I am fortunate as other females may feel more truamatisation than me. And in my case, it helped a lot that I notify the adults about the incident. And they taught me that I had the power to stand up to predators.

I think these perverts want to quickly do their crime and get away. It is common for victims to freeze and be confused. You want to thwart his attempts, not make it easy to commit his crime. Once "unfrozen" , there are many options, shout and yell to grab the public's attention, get him cornered to get his photo taken, or use tasers or whatever weapons you have in possessions.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Wed, 19 Feb 2014 11:25 am

iloverice wrote:Well, after a quite embarrassing molest incident that happened to me in one of the bus last year, I joined the "not sitting next to other" club, at least I will tried to choose (based on gender, age and appearance - sorry guys, just to be safe than sorry again). I'd rather stand on the whole journey or change bus if I feel it's not safe for me. :(
Sorry to hear that ILR, my wife has never been molested on a bus but has had issues with men following her around while she's walking. Another poster asked about taser/pepper spray - unfortunately cannot ("offensive weapon") but you could theoretically be carrying a fork for your lunch which you could jab into the person's thigh in self defense (a fork is not an offensive weapon on it's own).

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Wed, 19 Feb 2014 11:27 am

the lynx wrote:
x9200 wrote:Damn. I am curious what is actually the fraction of women/girls that encountered this kind of behavior in the public transportation. I would not be surprised if this is like 90%.
Are these mostly in SIngapore Chinese/Malay uncles or this is only my unjustified impression?
Normally Singaporean-Malaysian Chinese uncles (hard to tell them apart anyway).

I have a colleague (SC) who is unfortunate to have a very lovely alabaster rosy-cheeked face, which is a very attractive feature for East Asians. She is often harassed by such men in buses or even on the street. One walked up to her, grab her hand and pulled and said in Mandarin, "Let's go. I pay." Another slid up an empty seat next to her in bus and start caressing her hand and further down. Some would ask her if she is from China (which gets her royally pissed) and how much her rate is (royally pissed x 10).

I realised this scenario is more frequent here than I thought.
Ouch man - that's bad. I once dated a gorgeous Tamil girl here who had a slightly similar problem with Indian men who assumed she was a pro.

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Wed, 19 Feb 2014 11:31 am

earthfriendly wrote:SE, I understand where you are coming from and appreciate your concern, for us females. I don't think Sergei meant any disrespect. He is just a jovial and cheerful guy. A young man in his prime, looking for the right girl to settle down with.

As for me, after the initial shock, I got over it quickly and never thought about it until this thread surface. I am fortunate as other females may feel more truamatisation than me. And in my case, it helped a lot that I notify the adults about the incident. And they taught me that I had the power to stand up to predators.

I think these perverts want to quickly do their crime and get away. It is common for victims to freeze and be confused. You want to thwart his attempts, not make it easy to commit his crime. Once "unfrozen" , there are many options, shout and yell to grab the public's attention, get him cornered to get his photo taken, or use tasers or whatever weapons you have in possessions.
For sure... train yourself to shout at the top of your voice - and shout endlessly and abusively for several minutes. In the very few times I have had physical encounters in Singapore I've found a loud, hard, harsh voice and aggressive stance (pointing fingers, direct eye contact) to be extremely effective in cowing these people, gaining attention for help and convincing others I am in the right and have been wronged. Don't be scared to use language that is profane either in this situation.

Steve1960
Editor
Editor

Post by Steve1960 » Wed, 19 Feb 2014 3:21 pm

I don't think we should condemn perverts per se.

If the other party is WILLING I think it is quite acceptable and frankly ever since I turned 40 I felt it was my right as a man to be a pervert with a WILLING party

:wink:

Seriously, a question having never used a bus here. Don't they have video camera's like they do on the MRT? Actually I am not even sure the ones on the trains are active. Anyone know? I would have thought that would be the best deterrent and the most useful evidence for convicting these low life's. [/u]

Sergei82
Editor
Editor

Post by Sergei82 » Wed, 19 Feb 2014 4:24 pm

Over 3 years back I met one of my previous Singaporean girlfriends on a bus. But I did not touch her in bus, we had a nice conversation instead. :)