Singapore Expats

Public Transport Etiquette

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
MartinSmith

Public Transport Etiquette

Post by MartinSmith » Mon, 17 Feb 2014 6:37 am

Hi guys.

I know there's been a lot of discussion in different threads about people here in Singapore jumping in front of you in line for a taxi or even when a bus/train arrives, but a couple of other observations about public transport:

- Sitting next to other people on a bus: Some people seem to have a phobia about this. They'll do anything to avoid sitting next to someone else and will only do so as a last resort.

- Sitting on the seat nearest the aisle on a bus when the seat nearest the window is free: Can someone explain this one? Do people feel claustrophobic in the seat nearest the window? Worse yet is when someone reserves the window seat for their bag of shopping.

- The race for seats on a train: Is sitting on a train that important? I can understand if the person is old/pregnant/disabled. But when you see young people racing up to the sliding doors and barging their way on before anyone has gotten off, it does make you wonder what is so special about those train seats.

Dert42
Regular
Regular

Post by Dert42 » Mon, 17 Feb 2014 8:59 am

Ihardly ever ride buses, so can't comment there.

But for the MRTs, it drives me crazy. The car is clearly packed, people will turn around and walk backwards into you, pushing you deeper in. As if them not being able to see you makes you not a person.
More then once I have shoved people back off the train.

I understand I won't really get personal space in the train, but I will not be squished.

Primrose Hill
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Primrose Hill » Mon, 17 Feb 2014 9:48 am

Dert42 wrote:Ihardly ever ride buses, so can't comment there.

But for the MRTs, it drives me crazy. The car is clearly packed, people will turn around and walk backwards into you, pushing you deeper in. As if them not being able to see you makes you not a person.
More then once I have shoved people back off the train.

I understand I won't really get personal space in the train, but I will not be squished.
Not a Northern Line daily commuter then :D

Sergei82
Editor
Editor

Re: Public Transport Etiquette

Post by Sergei82 » Mon, 17 Feb 2014 9:51 am

MartinSmith wrote:- Sitting next to other people on a bus: Some people seem to have a phobia about this. They'll do anything to avoid sitting next to someone else and will only do so as a last resort.
Many Indian folks will seat next to you ONLY, even though the whole bus is empty. Bus is ok, what's worse - if the whole public toilet is empty and has a hundred of urinals waiting to be used, he will come urinate right next to you splashing his urine on you. Disgusting, but I encountered it many times (avoiding urinals and using cubicles mostly because of that) - dunno who were those guys - Bangladeshis, Indians, whoever, but not Chinese or Caucasians.
MartinSmith wrote:- Sitting on the seat nearest the aisle on a bus when the seat nearest the window is free: Can someone explain this one?
That's just douchery. Most are not like that, but a few who do this stand out of the crowd of course.
MartinSmith wrote:- The race for seats on a train: Is sitting on a train that important? I can understand if the person is old/pregnant/disabled.
Does not matter for me, because I always outrace them all. ;) I will stand up if I see a pregnant or senior though (girls, even pretty ones, will stand! :devil: )

What's disturbing me is some a-holes who will not let people alight from the train first: they just push themselves into the car and then wait until others go out. I sent a few flying far recently (does not matter for me even if you're holding your little son's hand! let me out 1st! I think, I do not need to explain logic in this). They look at me fiercely and grunt something about foreigners. :)

Barnsley
Manager
Manager

Post by Barnsley » Mon, 17 Feb 2014 9:54 am

MartinSmith wrote:Hi guys.

I know there's been a lot of discussion in different threads about people here in Singapore jumping in front of you in line for a taxi or even when a bus/train arrives, but a couple of other observations about public transport:

- Sitting next to other people on a bus: Some people seem to have a phobia about this. They'll do anything to avoid sitting next to someone else and will only do so as a last resort.

- Sitting on the seat nearest the aisle on a bus when the seat nearest the window is free: Can someone explain this one? Do people feel claustrophobic in the seat nearest the window? Worse yet is when someone reserves the window seat for their bag of shopping.

- The race for seats on a train: Is sitting on a train that important? I can understand if the person is old/pregnant/disabled. But when you see young people racing up to the sliding doors and barging their way on before anyone has gotten off, it does make you wonder what is so special about those train seats.
To take your points one at a time .........

There is a phobia about sitting next to folk on the bus/MRT especially if that person is "foreign looking" ...... the upside is that I get to travel in comfort and space almost all of the time. :cool:

The aisle seat thing I dont get , if you sit there surely its more annoying having to move for people getting in and out of the window seat beside you.

Reserving seats hahahahahaha .... I couldn't give a damn , I have people shifting their shit whenever possible :D

Seat racing or racing to get on MRT/Bus is a strange one as the rest of the time folks are walking around so slowly.
Life is short, paddle harder!!

Steve1960
Editor
Editor

Post by Steve1960 » Mon, 17 Feb 2014 10:15 am

I do actually get a little claustrophobic sitting in window seats even on buses and will always choose an aisle seat even if I have to move to let people in and out. Same on planes I never ever sit in a window seat. So I at least get it :wink:

I digress slightly. Went to Disneyland Hong Kong last week, our daughters first visit. I have been to the California, Florida and French Disneyland's more times than I care to count over the years. Hong Kong is unbelievable though. For the shows, Lion King for instance, the race to get to the best seats is incredible. In fact it was quite scary and intimidating. At said Lion King show two Asian women got into such a heated argument over seats that security were called followed by the Police!

movingtospore
Reporter
Reporter

Post by movingtospore » Mon, 17 Feb 2014 10:22 am

Yes, though public manners can be annoying here at times, it's nothing next to getting caught in a crush of mainlanders in Hong Kong. Or the mainland itself for that matter. Or Mumbai to the other extreme. And for the most part you don't have to be worried about getting mugged/beaten etc on the train like you do in many US cities. So all in all not so bad. :D

martincymru
Reporter
Reporter

Post by martincymru » Mon, 17 Feb 2014 10:34 am

Are bus drivers paid per run ? if so then no wonder they drive like Formula 1 and miss stops all the time so they can get home quicker.
Poor driving infuriates me more than anything

therat
Editor
Editor
Answers: 2

Post by therat » Mon, 17 Feb 2014 10:49 am

No. Bus driver don't paid per run.
They had a fix salary, Over time paid and shift allowance. And they had a schedule to follow.

Singapore government invent a new requirement - Bus punctuality scheme.

Starting February 2014, a new government trial will fine operators for late buses and at the same time, offer rewards for buses that run on time.

ScoobyDoes
Manager
Manager

Post by ScoobyDoes » Mon, 17 Feb 2014 10:53 am

MartinSmith wrote: - Sitting on the seat nearest the aisle on a bus when the seat nearest the window is free: Can someone explain this one? Do people feel claustrophobic in the seat nearest the window?

Generally the window seat is warmer, with limited A/C so even I tend to pick the isle seat just to stay cool though it depends on the time of day, route of the bus, height of the sun, time of the month and colour of my undies :P
'When Lewis Hamilton wins a race he has to thank Vodafone whereas in my day I used to chase the crumpet. I know which era I'd rather race in.'

SIR Stirling Moss OBE

Sergei82
Editor
Editor

Post by Sergei82 » Mon, 17 Feb 2014 1:03 pm

I remember I had knee tendinitis from squatting too often and too much: in bus I was taking an isle seat and stretching my leg into the isle. :mrgreen:

pisceangirl
Chatter
Chatter

Post by pisceangirl » Mon, 17 Feb 2014 1:15 pm

MartinSmith wrote:Hi guys.

Used to bother me initially, now it doesn't. I mean if you prefer to stand rather than sit next to another human being, your loss baby!

On that note how many people make eye contact during a conversation?

Aisle/window seat is a choice- I wouldn't hold that against anyone. As for shopping bags, I politely indicate that I would like to sit and the person just picks up their bag.

Annoying that!

nutnut
Manager
Manager

Post by nutnut » Mon, 17 Feb 2014 1:23 pm

I take an aisle seat, but, that's cause if I take a window seat, there is no room for anyone on the aisle seat, the window is too close for my shoulder.

If any one wants the window seat then they are welcome to it, I will gladly stand to let them in.

It's people who try and push past when you are sitting that annoy me - this happens everywhere, Stadiums, cinema, buses etc etc. Say excuse me, I will stand and then you don't have to rub your crotch on my knee!
nutnut

martincymru
Reporter
Reporter

Post by martincymru » Mon, 17 Feb 2014 1:38 pm

therat wrote:No. Bus driver don't paid per run.
They had a fix salary, Over time paid and shift allowance. And they had a schedule to follow.

Singapore government invent a new requirement - Bus punctuality scheme.

Starting February 2014, a new government trial will fine operators for late buses and at the same time, offer rewards for buses that run on time.
I'm confused.

So if the route they are on takes them past 6pm shift cut off for that day then they get overtime? If so then why hurry to complete the route?

Or to put it another way, what incentive does a bus driver have to drive fast?

The terms of their contract is critical in terms of influencing our travel experience on buses.

Sergei82
Editor
Editor

Post by Sergei82 » Mon, 17 Feb 2014 2:21 pm

A couple of times a bus driver did not even bother to slow down at my stop while I was at the bus standing at the door ready to go out. There was nobody at the stop and he did not notice me, so why bothering yourself to stop? I also wonder why such a rush?!