Singapore Expats

Breaking a lease before Diplomatic clause kicks in

Discuss about where to live, renting a property, tenancy issues, property trend and property investment in Singapore.
muskan24

Breaking a lease before Diplomatic clause kicks in

Post by muskan24 » Thu, 13 Feb 2014 9:40 pm

Hello,

Let me start by saying thanks for all the valuable information that I have found on this forum so far. I came here looking for information about breaking a lease before the diplomatic clause kicks in. So here is the situation

1. Signed a 2 year lease in Nov 2013 with a diplomatic clause that kicks in after 12 months and 2 months notice period
2. Paying a rent of 3400
3. Asked landlord to move out some old furniture before we moved in and bought our own.
4. My agent co broke with LL's agent and I didn't pay any brokerage
5. There is a possibility that my company may send me out of Singapore in next 2 months. Not 100% confirmed.
6. I don't want to run away and don't want the landlord to incur any losses.
7. Landlord seems to be a good man, I don't trust his agent though. Nothing against the agents but this guy is a bit cunning. We had a tough time getting him to arrange a meeting with the Landlord before we signed the lease. The Agent refused to give me Landlords contact number. My agent seems to be owned/controlled by the LL's agent.

There are still close to 8 months before Diplomatic clause kicks in. What are my options ? I want an amicable solution, but I am afraid LLs agent may not let it happen. Any suggestions or advise on how to approach this ?

Search By

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Re: Breaking a lease before Diplomatic clause kicks in

Post by PNGMK » Thu, 13 Feb 2014 11:26 pm

muskan24 wrote:Hello,

Let me start by saying thanks for all the valuable information that I have found on this forum so far. I came here looking for information about breaking a lease before the diplomatic clause kicks in. So here is the situation

1. Signed a 2 year lease in Nov 2013 with a diplomatic clause that kicks in after 12 months and 2 months notice period
2. Paying a rent of 3400
3. Asked landlord to move out some old furniture before we moved in and bought our own.
4. My agent co broke with LL's agent and I didn't pay any brokerage
5. There is a possibility that my company may send me out of Singapore in next 2 months. Not 100% confirmed.
6. I don't want to run away and don't want the landlord to incur any losses.
7. Landlord seems to be a good man, I don't trust his agent though. Nothing against the agents but this guy is a bit cunning. We had a tough time getting him to arrange a meeting with the Landlord before we signed the lease. The Agent refused to give me Landlords contact number. My agent seems to be owned/controlled by the LL's agent.

There are still close to 8 months before Diplomatic clause kicks in. What are my options ? I want an amicable solution, but I am afraid LLs agent may not let it happen. Any suggestions or advise on how to approach this ?
if your company sends you out before your posting is up, it should be up to them to make up the shortfall to the LL.

beppi
Manager
Manager

Post by beppi » Fri, 14 Feb 2014 1:11 am

The Asian solution is to just leave and forget about the deposit.

Beeroclock
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Beeroclock » Fri, 14 Feb 2014 8:36 am

Agree with pngmk, try negotiate for your company to foot the bill as a relocation/disruption allowance.

Failing that, there are several other threads on breaking lease. Your obvious exposure is losing deposit. The best outcome is an amicable settlement so why don't you try, in case your fears about the agent are unfounded. In the event it doesn't settle, it's better if you can keep records to demonstrate you've acted in good faith and taken steps such as trying to find a replacement tenant to take over the lease. These will help in case the landlord try's to claim damages from you legally.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Breaking a lease before Diplomatic clause kicks in

Post by JR8 » Fri, 14 Feb 2014 9:03 am

PNGMK wrote:if your company sends you out before your posting is up, it should be up to them to make up the shortfall to the LL.
Totally agree with this.

muskan24

Post by muskan24 » Fri, 14 Feb 2014 8:53 pm

Thanks Guys.

Honestly speaking there are very minimal chances that my company will compensate. Most probably I will have to deal with it on my own.

@beeroclock - good idea, I will try to make most of my offers via email, so I have a record of it. keep the suggestions coming

I will reach out to the agent soon and let you know how it goes.