Singapore Expats

Canada shows the way (or seem to show the way .. )

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
PNGMK
Answers: 10

Re: Canada shows the way (or seem to show the way .. )

Post by PNGMK » Tue, 21 Jan 2014 8:36 am

JR8 wrote:
ecureilx wrote:Ottawa (AFP) - The government has been urged to limit consular services for dual citizens who travel on a foreign passport or who live outside of Canada for prolonged periods, a report said Tuesday.
What a strange idea, granting citizenship by the 'boatload' but then sort of downgrading it's value for some - 'Canadian citizen, 2nd class'. Do you think they will have two kinds of passports/id's?

A Canadian tourist in trouble calls the nearest embassy:
'Hi, I need your help, I've been robbed and had my wallet and passport stolen!'

Embassy:
'I see, and what class of citizen are you?'

Perhaps instead Canada should stand by the obligations it has made for itself, and instead stop issuing 'citizenships of convenience' in the future?
+1 (but the level of racism in Canada from racist white Canadians has to be heard to be believed in my experience, I've never heard worse in my life and I work around people who are racist by nature). Australia has similar issues with Lebanese and Egyptian Aussies amoungst others but has yet to pull this particular trigger.....

john_nyc_71

Re: Canada shows the way (or seem to show the way .. )

Post by john_nyc_71 » Thu, 13 Feb 2014 6:54 am

ecureilx wrote:Canada urged to cut consular services for dual citizens

http://tinyurl.com/pa7bkfs

Snippet ..

Ottawa (AFP) - The government has been urged to limit consular services for dual citizens who travel on a foreign passport or who live outside of Canada for prolonged periods, a report said Tuesday.

The proposal was described in briefing books prepared for Foreign Affairs Minister John Baird and Trade Minister Ed Fast, and cited by the daily Globe and Mail.

And then a friend asked 'how about those holding dual citizenship, but living in a third country ?? :roll: :roll:
The UK has had this policy for a while. You are normally entitled to consular services in a foreign country only if you entered the foreign country on a UK passport. (This solves the third country issue as well - did you enter on a Canadian passport or on some other passport).