Singapore Expats

Part time teaching with Dependent Pass

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
Job seeker

Part time teaching with Dependent Pass

Post by Job seeker » Wed, 01 Jun 2005 10:27 am

Hello fellow expats

I have a dependent pass (my spouse is an employment pass holder) and have recently been offered a part-time job at hourly pay basis to teach at one of the private institutes for the Cambridge A level diploma in business studies.

I believe that a letter of consent is needed by Manpower ministry before taking up any job as a dependent pass holder. However, this institute insists that such a letter of consent is not required for teaching part-time on a hourly pay basis. Unfortunately, could'nt find information on dependent pass holder's requirements for taking up part-time jobs.

Would appreciate if someone here tell me if I need to get a letter of consent first and only then take up the part-time job. Additionally, is the claim "letter of consent is not necessary" by this institute correct.

Thanks in advance for any advice and suggestion.

k1w1
Reporter
Reporter

Post by k1w1 » Wed, 01 Jun 2005 2:01 pm

Yes, you will need a letter of consent. I am in the same boat, and my employer insisted that the LOC was completed, signed and approved before I started work. I have no contract and work on a wage.

I don't know why your school would care since it doesn't cost anything to apply for the LOC, I don't think.

Very odd (some of the langauge schools around are VERY dodgy...) I would insist on it though - just to save your own back.

Job seeker

Post by Job seeker » Wed, 01 Jun 2005 3:14 pm

Thanks k1w1. mmm... appears somethings fishy with this school. I shall insist on the LOC as you suggest.

Re: Part time teaching with Dependent Pass

Post by Guest » Wed, 01 Jun 2005 4:30 pm

Job seeker wrote:Hello fellow expats

I have a dependent pass (my spouse is an employment pass holder) and have recently been offered a part-time job at hourly pay basis to teach at one of the private institutes for the Cambridge A level diploma in business studies.

I believe that a letter of consent is needed by Manpower ministry before taking up any job as a dependent pass holder. However, this institute insists that such a letter of consent is not required for teaching part-time on a hourly pay basis. Unfortunately, could'nt find information on dependent pass holder's requirements for taking up part-time jobs.

Would appreciate if someone here tell me if I need to get a letter of consent first and only then take up the part-time job. Additionally, is the claim "letter of consent is not necessary" by this institute correct.

Thanks in advance for any advice and suggestion.
I think you should contact MOM first and explain to them what the school have said, you have no reason whatsoever to hide anything, so you have nothing to loose. But if you break the law, it could be a problem right?

Post by Guest » Wed, 01 Jun 2005 4:46 pm

I think you should contact MOM first and explain to them what the school have said, you have no reason whatsoever to hide anything, so you have nothing to loose. But if you break the law, it could be a problem right?[/quote]

Thanks guest

Better to be safe than sorry. Don't really mind losing this offer than getting into trouble later.

Post by Guest » Thu, 02 Jun 2005 12:08 am

Anonymous wrote:I think you should contact MOM first and explain to them what the school have said, you have no reason whatsoever to hide anything, so you have nothing to loose. But if you break the law, it could be a problem right?
Thanks guest

Better to be safe than sorry. Don't really mind losing this offer than getting into trouble later.[/quote]

I wrote the above! I will say that I am also on DP and I have actually heard that if one is only part time on a DP, one doesn't pay any tax or need approval, lways better to check

Job seeker

Post by Job seeker » Thu, 02 Jun 2005 9:24 am

Anonymous wrote:
Anonymous wrote:I think you should contact MOM first and explain to them what the school have said, you have no reason whatsoever to hide anything, so you have nothing to loose. But if you break the law, it could be a problem right?
Thanks guest

Better to be safe than sorry. Don't really mind losing this offer than getting into trouble later.
I wrote the above! I will say that I am also on DP and I have actually heard that if one is only part time on a DP, one doesn't pay any tax or need approval, lways better to check[/quote]

Sorry that I did'nt use the "quote" feature properly while posting. My intention was to quote you and then thank you for the suggestion. Thanks again, I shall check with MOM first and then decide on the job offer.