Singapore Expats

Warning: Amazon delivers to Singapore using Singpost now

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
x9200

Post by x9200 » Tue, 17 Dec 2013 10:15 am

There are probably few dozens of courier services around but only with speedpost I had that constantly and extremely bad experience.
I used them before ca 5y ago I believe and it was exactly the same excuse: the courier could not found the place. Now I was forced to use them again, the place is different but this lame excuse was given again. And to make it even more absurd, apparently singpost has no problem with this address as the 2nd part of the same order was delivered with no problems. Aren't they the same company?

I already complained to Amazon.

Sergei82
Editor
Editor

Post by Sergei82 » Tue, 17 Dec 2013 10:42 am

Maybe Singpost employees are as overpaid as taxi drivers in Singapore? :)

Sergei82
Editor
Editor

Post by Sergei82 » Wed, 18 Dec 2013 12:32 am

Btw, I have 3 parcels coming to me from Amazon now. Holding my breath…

triste
Regular
Regular

Post by triste » Wed, 18 Dec 2013 3:22 am

We received some packages from Amazon last week, delivered by UPS so Singpost is not their only delivery service, thank goodness.

QueensG

Post by QueensG » Wed, 18 Dec 2013 11:32 am

I've used vPost (Speedpost) for everything from Amazon for 3+ years and everything's been smooth every time. Always the same auntie, maybe she is just good at her job? :) Never any customs hiccup either.

nutnut
Manager
Manager

Post by nutnut » Wed, 18 Dec 2013 3:51 pm

The title should read

Amazon "delivers" to Singapore using Singpost now. You missed the punctuation.

This will explain why my item is now 1.5 weeks after my expected date.

Singpost are dire!
nutnut

x9200

Post by x9200 » Sat, 21 Dec 2013 9:20 am

Over 1 week from the date speedpost allegedly tried to deliver the parcel and still nothing. No one contacted me neither. Amazon responds promptly to any of my e-mails but with little more then generic messages. They already offered a refund or to resend it but as not difficult to guess it solves nothing.

Sergei82
Editor
Editor

Post by Sergei82 » Sat, 21 Dec 2013 7:02 pm

Made 3 orders on Amazon recently. 2 came via UPS, one via Singpost. I'm lucky - no issues this time.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Tue, 31 Dec 2013 9:01 am

So the story ends with the parcel delivered yesterday and pretty bizarre tracking (see at the bottom). For integrity of the story: failing to deliver, speedpost claimed that there was not such address while singpost delivered the 2nd part of the same order to this address roughly at the same time. There was a long period of silence and only after my request I got information that they were actually trying to locate the parcel (or so I understood). After some more time, I received another information that they filled a police report. Few days after it I ran the i-Parcel tracking and saw that according to the record the parcel is back at the customs. Yesterday it was finally delivered. The sticker on it was of the singpost, not speedpost. Speedpost tracking also got updated and claims it was delivered by them.
BTW, my wife signed it with the surname and i-Parcel claims it was signed by my first name.

I like most this part:
December 16, --- <- no country code here
Delay in delivery due to external factors

Must be Santa Klaus. Probably if I did not push Amazon really hard the parcel was returned to them. Simply looks like the speedpost professionals already sent it back and i-parcel professionals managed to locate it in their pre/post-customs facility and this time let singpost to deliver it.
Congratulation to speedpost for yet another successful delivery.

Wow, I just noticed Singapore got 2010 EMS Performance Award. GOLD, the highest one. Also Customer Care Award 2009 winners. That is roughly for the same period when speedpost (local EMS operator) claimed an non-existing address of my earlier location and failed to show up a few times for redelivery. EMS must be good as well.

Tracking:
December 30, SG
Delivered
December 30, SG
Transfer to local carrier for final delivery.
December 23, SG
Initiated customs clearance process
December xx, SG
Package arrived at destination country
December 16, ---
December xx, SG
Delivery attempted
December xx, SG
Transfer to local carrier for final delivery.
December xx, Carlstadt NJ US
Package has left the carrier facility
November xx, Carlstadt NJ US
Package arrived at a carrier facility
November xx, Hebron KY US
Package has left the carrier facility
November xx, Hebron KY US
Package arrived at a carrier facility
November 27, Plainfield IN US
Package has left seller facility and is in transit to carrier

(xx date figures replaced by me)

Edited for some minor correction and to add one more bit.
Last edited by x9200 on Tue, 31 Dec 2013 9:30 am, edited 2 times in total.

SINexpat

Post by SINexpat » Tue, 31 Dec 2013 9:01 am

Would it make a difference to just have stuff shipped to a business address (ie: send to work) instead of a residential address?

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Tue, 31 Dec 2013 10:24 am

x9200 wrote: December 16, ---
What a cop-out.

Slowpost makes third-world country postal services look good.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

vbelle
Chatter
Chatter

Post by vbelle » Wed, 15 Jan 2014 4:23 pm

I bought stuff from Amazon last month and they were sent in 2 packages. Both delivered by UPS. First one was great as they delivered it at night, about 8 pm. Second package was delivered at 2 pm when i was at work. He called me and when i said i am at work he kept on asking me "So how?"
I asked whether he can come back later or come to my office instead, and he simply said "No". So he ended up leaving it with my neighbour..whom i dont really know.. but luckily the lady was kindly willing to receive it for me.
Estimated delivery was like 7 Jan (4 weeks after purchase-free shipping)..but first package was delivered on 2nd week December and second package around last week of December.
I actually expected them to be delivered by Singpost. Everytime i receive a package from Singpost and its in working hours they would leave a note which i can then take to the post office and collect it after work...
Never had problem with Singpost...not that i had issue with UPS..but thought i should give some credit for Singpost.

Sergei82
Editor
Editor

Post by Sergei82 » Wed, 15 Jan 2014 4:53 pm

End of last year - 3 orders: UPS, Singpost, UPS.

This year - 1: UPS

blessedone
Regular
Regular

What can ne order via Amazon to Singapore direct?

Post by blessedone » Mon, 10 Feb 2014 1:16 pm

Are the products listed here the only ones?
http://www.amazon.com/International-Shipping-Direct/

I am wondering how any of you order medicine supplements to singapore from the us?